Dynahub lamp recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
garygkn

Re: Dynahub lamp recommendations

Post by garygkn »

This thread has a lot of great contributions and I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences, thoughts and opinions. I think the one that seems to be slightly ahead for me at the moment is the Edelux II. I also am attracted to the no brainer at £68 as mentioned by Brucey.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my moto g(7) power using hovercraft full of eels.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Nuke posted a link to it before I called it a no-brainer.

A few years ago when the IQ-X was a new light, Rose were doing it for something like £52 a pop. I should have bought several.

Hindsight it wonderful of course... :roll:

I suppose I was expecting B&M to do a cheaper version which is as bright; however this hasn't happened yet.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jb

Post by jb »

I imagine a competent electrical engineer could work out the maximum lumins you could theoretically get from a standard hub generator, but how you distribute that light via the lens/reflector will always be subjective.
Cheers
J Bro
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

jb wrote:... but how you distribute that light via the lens/reflector will always be subjective.

Not exactly.
Indeed in the between LUMINOUS FLUX in terms of lumen [lm] and ILLUMINANCE in terms of lux [lx] there’s always a correlation that depends on specific “geometric light distribution” (lens/reflector/etc). StVZO proposed the following scheme. Each point must satisfy a precise ILLUMINANCE level.

jb

Post by jb »

What I mean is that different people will have different ideas about what light distribution is best for them.
I.E. off road requires lighting above as well as below, but road riding prefers the road to have the most illumination and slight illumination to the sides. But between there are many different preferences.
Cheers
J Bro
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

jb wrote:... what I mean is that different people will have different ideas about what light distribution is best for them ...
Indeed some manufacturers use LUX (eg SON, B&M, etc) some other ones use LUMEN. Two totally different concepts.
Some people just need widespread lumen, some other ones prefer to have more lux in determinate areas only.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Jdsk wrote:Who remembers the wipers slowing when you drove uphill?
That'll be the inlet manifold vacuum 'powered' ones that Ford used to fit... Those were the days :roll:
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Exactly.

Jonathan