GT 85 What is it good for?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonhill

GT 85 What is it good for?

Post by simonhill »

I've seen people writing about GT 85, but what is it used for?

It's on offer at Aldi, should I buy some?

I have WD40, is it the same?

So many questions.
Jamesh

Re: GT 85 What is it good for?

Post by Jamesh »

Both made by the same company apparently....

GT85 has teflon for added lubrication.

I used Wilko teflon bike spray for 2 weeks on holiday was impressed by it.

Brucey will be along shortly for the expert opinion.

Cheers James
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Not same as wd40 which is a penetrating oil and would ruin your free hub bearings eventually cos it'll chase all the grease out.

Gt85 is a lube oil and is what I used to use on bikes but got a bit dear so I made up a mix from used recycled engine oil.
I am here. Where are you?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I always stock up from ALDI.
Sometimes just spray it around the bike shed as an air freshener :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cowsham wrote:Not same as wd40 which is a penetrating oil.

It’s a water dispersant. It does have some penetrating ability but it doesn’t compare to dedicated products such as Plusgas.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
halfpenny

Post by halfpenny »

WD40 is absolutely not a penetrating oil. It is a waxy water dispersant, and not a very good lubricant at that. One of the most common misconceptions.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I've just restocked on GT85 from Aldi. It is a very light lubricant and I use to loosen greasy/oily grime. I also, after washing the bike, spray it on parts such as derailleurs, pedals, brake pivots or anywhere else where water may have got in. I also spray the cleaned frame with it and give a wipe with a clean rag. It is also good using the nozzle for squirting through cable housing to clean it out.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

peetee wrote:

It’s a water dispersant. It does have some penetrating ability but it doesn’t compare to dedicated products such as Plusgas.

halfpenny wrote:WD40 is absolutely not a penetrating oil. It is a waxy water dispersant, and not a very good lubricant at that. One of the most common misconceptions.

Agreed, although there's a staggering absence of good comparative trials. (Which should also include Coke.)

And to make it a bit more confusing (or not depending on how you look at it) there is a distinct WD-40 branded penetrating fluid:
https://www.wd40.com/products/penetrating-oil/

Jonathan
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I have found the Weldtite TF2 spray (green can) gives more lasting lubrication, although the exorbitant price of it now makes the GT85 offering more attractive.

The average price for a 400ml aerosol can of TF2 appears to be in the region of £7.50. I think the last couple of cans I bought were about £2.50 each a couple of years ago!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

halfpenny wrote:WD40 is absolutely not a penetrating oil. It is a waxy water dispersant, and not a very good lubricant at that. One of the most common misconceptions.

I stand corrected it seems -- I've always thought it was penetrating and used it that way -- I'll stop buying it -- what about double TT we get that at work for penetrating oil?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Never come across that.

Double TT
https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/double-tt/

Looks like a thicker water displacing agent.

Jonathan
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Jdsk wrote:
peetee wrote:

Agreed, although there's a staggering absence of good comparative trials. (Which should also include Coke.)

Most of what is said about WD40 in such discussions as this is just plain wrong. One look at the data sheets (which are reproduced from several different territories here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#:~:text=WD-40%20is%20the%20trademark%20name%20of%20a%20water-displacing,the%20WD-40%20Company%20based%20in%20San%20Diego%2C%20California.] tells you that WD40 is a mixture of solvents and mineral oil. Independent gas chromatography backs this up. Waxes per se do not feature in the composition.

GT85 is similar in essence, but different in detail. IME GT85 is a slightly better penetrant because the solvent is different. The oil constituent is different too.

Anyone who is even slightly interested can deposit a fixed volume of either product (or one of their many competitors) into a open container and will find that after a day or so the solvent will have evaporated and the residue (about 25% of the original volume) is oil. Not wax, not secret sauce, not magic juice. Oil.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Brucey wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
peetee wrote:It’s a water dispersant. It does have some penetrating ability but it doesn’t compare to dedicated products such as Plusgas.

Most of what is said about WD40 in such discussions as this is just plain wrong. One look at the data sheets (which are reproduced from several different territories here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#:~:text=WD-40%20is%20the%20trademark%20name%20of%20a%20water-displacing,the%20WD-40%20Company%20based%20in%20San%20Diego%2C%20California.] tells you that WD40 is a mixture of solvents and mineral oil. Independent gas chromatography backs this up. Waxes per se do not feature in the composition.

GT85 is similar in essence, but different in detail. IME GT85 is a slightly better penetrant because the solvent is different. The oil constituent is different too.

Anyone who is even slightly interested can deposit a fixed volume of either product (or one of their many competitors) into a open container and will find that after a day or so the solvent will have evaporated and the residue (about 25% of the original volume) is oil. Not wax, not secret sauce, not magic juice. Oil.

cheers

Yes never been told there was wax in it before that would be a surprise to me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brucey wrote:Most of what is said about WD40 in such discussions as this is just plain wrong. One look at the data sheets (which are reproduced from several different territories here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#:~:text=WD-40%20is%20the%20trademark%20name%20of%20a%20water-displacing,the%20WD-40%20Company%20based%20in%20San%20Diego%2C%20California.] tells you that WD40 is a mixture of solvents and mineral oil. Independent gas chromatography backs this up. Waxes per se do not feature in the composition.

Yes. I was wrong to agree with the quote above about waxes. WD-40 is a mixture of petrol-like stuff and oil in a convenient package.

Jonathan

PS: I should have included petrol with Coke in what I'd like to see included in trials of penetrating stuff.
halfpenny

Post by halfpenny »

I didn't say that WD40 was a wax, and still contend that a waxy finish is what is left after the solvent has flashed off, not an oily one. Petroleum products can have many states. But I think we are agreed that it is not a good lubricant, as such. I use it occasionally because the best feature is the spray aspect, which works at any orientation. For penetration, use diesel or a special product like Plus Gas