GT 85 What is it good for?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Re: GT 85 What is it good for?

Postby Jdsk » 27 Sep 2020, 4:13pm

halfpenny wrote:But I think we are agreed that it is not a good lubricant, as such. I use it occasionally because the best feature is the spray aspect, which works at any orientation.

Agree about the convenience.

halfpenny wrote:For penetration, use diesel or a special product like Plus Gas

I expressed a wish for petrol in any comparisons... is Diesel fuel commonly used?

Thanks

Jonathan

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 27 Sep 2020, 4:33pm

Hi
I've read that a petrol-diesel mix is good, as is Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) mixed with acetone.
Petrol alone is a safety risk and possibly evaporates too quickly to soak in, hence the diesel mix, but I'm not convinced that any of the above would be much safer :)
Avoid home brews and buy the proper stuff IMHO, I've used Plus Gas for many years now
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Sep 2020, 5:34pm

simonhill wrote:I've seen people writing about GT 85, but what is it used for?

Goodness knows.

I bought a can once and that was decades ago.
Pointless, I reckon.
Smelled nice perhaps?

Website says:
https://gt85.co.uk/gt85-original/

Rubbish hype.
Mick F. Cornwall

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Sep 2020, 5:58pm

halfpenny wrote:I didn't say that WD40 was a wax, and still contend that a waxy finish is what is left after the solvent has flashed off, not an oily one...

Waxes and oils are very different things; oil companies spend a lot of time and money ensuring that waxes do not end up in lubricating oils. You can tell a wax quite easily because it will turn into a pretty decent solid at some modest temperature (which is why it is bad news in lubricating oils) . WD40 does not do this; it does not contain waxes, nor is it 'waxy'.

Contending that a lubricant is 'waxy' is akin to describing someone's wine as a bit 'anti-freezy'.... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 27 Sep 2020, 6:23pm

I find it useful to have and it does smell nice :D

It's currently£2 for a big can in Asda too.

halfpenny

Postby halfpenny » 27 Sep 2020, 6:26pm

Not everyone on this forum is an engineer or scientist, or indeed bothered. 'Waxy' is in my opinion a good description for a layman of the residue when the solvent has flashed off - anyone can try this for themselves and decide if the coating is 'oily' or 'waxy' . I'm sure you would not advocate WD40 as a bike oil.

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 27 Sep 2020, 6:26pm

Great for degreasing hands!!

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Sep 2020, 6:39pm

halfpenny wrote:Not everyone on this forum is an engineer or scientist, or indeed bothered. 'Waxy' is in my opinion a good description for a layman of the residue when the solvent has flashed off - anyone can try this for themselves and decide if the coating is 'oily' or 'waxy' .

Given that it comprises of oils not waxes, 'waxy' is unlikely to be a good word to describe the resultant effect. Given that there are other corrosion inhibitors which are wax-based, and have completely different properties, it is an unfortunate and misleading choice of words, a bit like saying that butter is made from margarine or something.

I'm sure you would not advocate WD40 as a bike oil.

it is just the job on some parts and worse than useless on others. Just like most other lubricants, in fact.

cheers

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Sep 2020, 7:08pm

BTW GT85 is two quid a can in Aldi right now. Most of the things below apply almost equally well to competitor sprays too.

One of the things I use it for is to clean ball bearings; a small squirt of GT85 will usually free up most of the grease on ball bearings. A clean tissue and another squirt of GT85 then has them clean in no time. The oily residue helps stave off rust if the balls are not reinstalled immediately.

You can also use it to clean and prep grubby spoke nipples for wheelbuilding. Just place the nipples in a 35mm film container (or similar, but do make sure it is 100% leak-tight), give a squirt of GT85, put the lid on and then shake the container for a short while (alternatively carry the container in a pocket for a few days). Used nipples which are sound will come out shiny and oily (if the plating is gone on brass nipples, probably best not to re-use them since the conditions that favour the loss of plating also favour cracking). The resultant lubrication is sufficient to ease building, but not persistent enough to prevent the nipples from starting to bind after a few weeks (which isn't an altogether bad thing, since it can help stop nipples from backing out).

Using the straw, squirting a little through a cable housing will soon tell you if it is full of crud inside or not.

A light spray of GT85 before a ride will help to stop muck from sticking hard to the bike, thus making washing the thing easier later on. However GT85 (and similar sprays) don't resist road salt very well.

If a cable inner is wiped with grease before it is installed, a little GT85 added to this can make a mixture that is a little less draggy.

It is good for removing adhesive residue.

After a ride, a squirt on the outside of hubs etc ensures that contact seal lips remain wetted with oil, and won't be running dry the next time you use the bike (which wears the seals out in double-quick time).

After washing a bike GT85 can be used to displace water from any surface that is otherwise clean. No good for brake surfaces, obviously!

cheers

iow

Postby iow » 28 Sep 2020, 9:54am

I'm surprised that WD40 is mineral oil based. I always thought that mineral oils were non-drying, but WD40 definitely sets to a solid film when it oxidises after 6 months or so.
mark

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 28 Sep 2020, 10:55am

I use it as a chain lubricant, that or Weldite TF2 on the recumbent seems to the trick. I tend to clean the Chain in degreaser off the bike give it bath in Chainsaw oil Clean of the excess. Then in between deep cleans use GT85/ TF2 / WD40 (bike lube) they all look to be the same ingredients to clean and lube.

One thing tyres don’t like it, it rots the rubber, so keep away from Rubber parts. Another point made by another posters was it can be used to clean frames and provides a protective barrier, it does, but long term its slightly acidic properties will damage paint over time if you don’t wash off A good wax is much better long term.
NUKe

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 28 Sep 2020, 12:05pm

"Absolutely nothing at all"

Sorry, couldn't resist. And yes, it doesn't scan properly. ;-)

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 28 Sep 2020, 1:11pm

mikeymo wrote:"Absolutely nothing at all"

Sorry, couldn't resist. And yes, it doesn't scan properly. ;-)

Say it again :wink:

did I get the right song
NUKe

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Sep 2020, 1:18pm

Lookout :wink:

So good to know it wasn’t just me who had that answer :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

GranvilleThomas

Postby GranvilleThomas » 28 Sep 2020, 1:19pm

I always stock up when it is available in Aldi and use it all over the bike really, including the chain, gear and brake pivots, shifters and I spray it in the tiny holes in the forks and stays a few times a year and is specifically applied to the paint work to give a nice shine and has never had a detrimental effect on any of the bikes paint.

They are all quite old bikes mind you and modern paint formulations are most likely not as durable as the old stuff.

I know there are those that would not use it on a bike chain, but I cannot justify the exorbitant cost of some of the chain lubes in ridiculously small bottles that are on the market, and GT85 has worked for me for many years now as a chain lube and has got me through many bad winters when I was commuting every day and I intend to continue if at all possible.

All my chains are 7 speed though so maybe its not as critical in these circumstance as it would be with the 'modern' narrow chains with how ever many sprockets we are up to at the moment.

And yes the fragrance used definitely 'says' bike shop to my nose. :lol: