Cannondale m500 worth spending money on?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ddemolder

Cannondale m500 worth spending money on?

Post by ddemolder »

Hi I own a cannondale m500 that I haven't used for about 20 years.

I am wondering if it is worth replacing some components or if I am better off buying a more modern bike.

It looks like I will need new tyres and tubes, a new chain and brake blocks but everything else looks OK to my untrained eye. Am I being naive? Are there likely to be other parts that will need replacing?

I am getting back into cycling for fun and am undecided about sticking with the cannondale if it doesn't take too much to make it roadworthy or to just buy a more modern, used bike.

Any advice?

Thanks
Brucey

Re: Cannondale m500 worth spending money on?

Post by Brucey »

you will probably need a new cassette too; if the existing sprockets are in any way worn, a new chain will skip (under load).

I would definitely fix the old bike up rather than buy a new one; 'made in USA' Cannondales are more sought after by some than later 'made in far east' cannondales.

If you buy another used bike you could be buying a load of someone else's problems along with it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd replace the inner cables.

Jonathan
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

It might have some collector value, if it has high grade vintage components on it.

What spec does it have? Do you have photos?

It might well be worth selling on and replacing with something more suited to your needs, but there seem to be different M500s (e.g., rigid fork or front suspension).

I'd not really want the front suspension version, but some people do.
zenitb

Hell YES!!!!

Post by zenitb »

I have a broadly similar 1993 Cannondale M700 (bought new) and after some dithering and years in the shed I would never get rid of it now - its become my "do it all" bike. No need to do all the upgrades I have done of course although I would spend some dollar getting a comfy riding position. These are solid bikes. See my blog below http://zenit-b.blogspot.com/2016/11/can ... g.html?m=1
ddemolder

Post by ddemolder »

Thank you all for your advice - I am leaning heavily towards upgrading a few essentials.

Here are some photos as requested.

Thanks
Attachments
rear 2.jpg
high view 2.jpg
front wheel 2.jpg
front brakes 2.jpg
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

New chain + cassette,cables,probably tyres,maybe tubes so £70-100 and I reckon you have a damn good machine,particularly the frame,well worth the effort.I suppose the brakes might be an issue,being hydraulic rim brakes if not working which could double the outlay .Probably worth trying to acquire some knowledge about servicing wheel bearings,which likely will need some attention,e.g.new grease + adjustment.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Check it has a steel fork steerer - the Pepperoni forks with alloy steerers were recalled because, as usual with alloy steerers, there was a risk of snapping.
hamster

Post by hamster »

cyclop wrote:New chain + cassette,cables,probably tyres,maybe tubes so £70-100 and I reckon you have a damn good machine,particularly the frame,well worth the effort.I suppose the brakes might be an issue,being hydraulic rim brakes if not working which could double the outlay .Probably worth trying to acquire some knowledge about servicing wheel bearings,which likely will need some attention,e.g.new grease + adjustment.

Maguras go on just about for ever. I have a couple of sets over 20 years old on bikes.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Strip and re-grease the hubs and freehub body, old grease may have dried out. Also the headset bearings, and grease the pedals. Make sure the seatpost can be removed.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Alu seatposts in alu frames are usually ok...no galvanic action. The alu in steel combination is the really problematic one. Steel in alu, less of a problem because a bit of heat helps loosen it even if it does stick (which it rarely does; when did you last have a stem bolt or a rear mech bolt corrode into place?)
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

With a small financial outlay, and a bit of tlc, that’s a cracking bike: very nice.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Would keep bike and replace any worn parts-at most you will spend £100-what sort of bike will £100 get you?Cannondales are classic.
ddemolder

Post by ddemolder »

Thanks for the feedback. Really grateful.

Can anyone tell me what the brakes are please as I can't find the brand or model. Thanks
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

They look like Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes but a photo of the levers would confirm. Do they feel like they work ok? Both blocks moving smoothly in and out on each brake? They are about as good as rim brakes get - we have them on the tandem - and I certainly wouldn't replace them but they may need a service at this distance. That's not a difficult job, they're completely rebuildable, but it is probably a bike shop job unless you're confident and prepared to buy a bleed kit and perhaps some spares.

On the other hand they might still work absolutely fine. I don't think I've touched the ones on the tandem for ten years except for changing blocks.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!