List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey
Posts: 41402
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Brucey » 5 Oct 2020, 10:20am

simonineaston wrote:
Didn't gears that you can change without dismounting come after those?
Fixie fans will pour scorn on the rest of us mere mortals' need to change gears, but yes - let's let Mr Sturmey & Mr Archer have their fifteen minutes! Oh and Mr Bowden, too. :-)


Don't forget Mr Reilly (as many do). Without him there would have been no SA gear. In fact it seems that Archer's involvement was mainly to act as a patent proxy for Reilly, who signed away his rights to future gear designs he might make when he severed links with the manufacturers of 'the Hub' (Reilly's 1898 2-speed gear). Had Reilly's name appeared on the three speed patent instead of Archer, Reilly's former employers would have assumed ownership of it.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 5 Oct 2020, 10:26am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

garygkn
Posts: 1425
Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 8:59pm

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby garygkn » 5 Oct 2020, 10:22am

Most new inventions are already in the Data Book first published in 1983.
Image Attachments
IMG_20201005_101720757.jpg

garygkn
Posts: 1425
Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 8:59pm

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby garygkn » 5 Oct 2020, 10:27am

Here are a few pictures.
Image Attachments
IMG_20201005_101804056.jpg
IMG_20201005_101828799.jpg
IMG_20201005_101917969.jpg
IMG_20201005_102008402.jpg
IMG_20201005_102023698.jpg

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6706
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Sweep » 5 Oct 2020, 10:34am

Am a non techie compared to many on here, but must say I am struggling to think of any genuinely useful advances in bike tech since I dipped a toe back into cycling in 1997.

Some have tried to poo poo folks on the thread as grumpy dinosaurs by referring to lights etc.

But I don't count things like this (definitely a vast improvement) as they aren't actually integral to the bike and you can gratefully accept the advances without having to seriously reconfigure/scrap your bike/s.

For similar reasons I don't count stuff like clothing.

And nor do I count my Garmin etrexs - just plonk them on the bars - one of them on an 8 speed.

I have lots of bikes, started with a 7 speed, now most of my bikes are 9 speed but have one 8.

As I say I'm not techie but I think by 1997 flat bar indexing was around (I had one of course), 9 speed, SPDs.

So, yep, can't think of anything at all really.
Sweep

PH
Posts: 9611
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby PH » 5 Oct 2020, 10:39am

Mike_Ayling wrote:It looks like the non ex box Rohloffs at SJS are not so popular any more.
I think the ex box is a great bit of kit.
Mike

They've always been a good bit cheaper. But yes, the ex box version will be the bigger seller, at least in part because it's the only one that can be used with disc brakes. I had mine converted for that reason, apart from the brake compatibility there's no big difference, in some ways I preferred the internal shifting.

PH
Posts: 9611
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby PH » 5 Oct 2020, 10:57am

Sweep wrote:... I am struggling to think of any genuinely useful advances in bike tech since I dipped a toe back into cycling in 1997.
...I have lots of bikes.... So, yep, can't think of anything at all really.
<SNIPPED>

There's a possibility that those things are related to behind the scenes tech that make such things a possibility.
There's never been a time when enthusiasts didn't spend their disposable income on their hobbies, or when there wasn't suppliers producing products to spend it on. If anyone wants to trot out the "there's nothing new" line maybe that should be the starting point.
The huge difference in the last few decades has been the reduction in manufacturing costs in comparison to disposable income. The result is entirely predictable, moaning about it isn't going to change a anything, it's a symptom not the cause.
It isn't all bad, I don't think I have, or intend getting, anything on the OP list, but I have bought a fair bit of stuff I haven't needed along the way and certainly own more kit than I really need, I wouldn't have been able to afford that 20 or 30 years ago.

Brucey
Posts: 41402
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Brucey » 5 Oct 2020, 11:08am

I'm inclined to agree with Sweep, but then I am a BOF these days. I can't help but think what stuff that was 25 years old looked like to me when I was a teenager; 'old fashioned' would be a good description.

For example BITD I well remember being slightly perplexed at the affection the 'old' campag track chainsets (with the ~150mm BCD) engendered in older riders than me. I couldn't see why you wouldn't use the 144mm BCD stuff that was then current on both road and track.

However today I have a biscuit tin full of very obsolete 144mm BCD chainrings and both struggle to find workable cranks to use with them and to get a good range of gears if I do. So I'm in the same boat they were more or less. I have modern stuff too of course but I have a strong feeling that most of this will go obsolete (and entirely unsupportable) before they run out of even older stuff on ebay.

Low manufacturing costs (plus competition in the marketplace) breeds ever shorter product cycles and components which are practically disposable.

As an ethos I absolutely hate it, with a passion; it runs contrary to the very reasons a lot of people ride a bike in the first place.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6706
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Sweep » 5 Oct 2020, 11:10am

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:... I am struggling to think of any genuinely useful advances in bike tech since I dipped a toe back into cycling in 1997.
...I have lots of bikes.... So, yep, can't think of anything at all really.
<SNIPPED>

There's a possibility that those things are related to behind the scenes tech that make such things a possibility.
There's never been a time when enthusiasts didn't spend their disposable income on their hobbies, or when there wasn't suppliers producing products to spend it on. If anyone wants to trot out the "there's nothing new" line maybe that should be the starting point.
The huge difference in the last few decades has been the reduction in manufacturing costs in comparison to disposable income. The result is entirely predictable, moaning about it isn't going to change a anything, it's a symptom not the cause.
It isn't all bad, I don't think I have, or intend getting, anything on the OP list, but I have bought a fair bit of stuff I haven't needed along the way and certainly own more kit than I really need, I wouldn't have been able to afford that 20 or 30 years ago.

Not sure I really understand your point with regard to useful or non useful core bike tech to be honest.
If you are referring to increased disposable income (for some) to spend on stuff they fancy well then that's an entirely different point and not terribly relevant. One for the cafe.
Sweep

PH
Posts: 9611
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby PH » 5 Oct 2020, 11:33am

Sweep wrote:Not sure I really understand your point with regard to useful or non useful core bike tech to be honest.
If you are referring to increased disposable income (for some) to spend on stuff they fancy well then that's an entirely different point and not terribly relevant. One for the cafe.

The point was in it's inevitability, I don't think it is an unrelated one. The primary function of a manufacturing business is to satisfy the shareholders, not the consumer. Moaning about the result is like complaining about the rain.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6706
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Sweep » 5 Oct 2020, 11:41am

PH wrote:
Sweep wrote:Not sure I really understand your point with regard to useful or non useful core bike tech to be honest.
If you are referring to increased disposable income (for some) to spend on stuff they fancy well then that's an entirely different point and not terribly relevant. One for the cafe.

The point was in it's inevitability, I don't think it is an unrelated one. The primary function of a manufacturing business is to satisfy the shareholders, not the consumer. Moaning about the result is like complaining about the rain.

Hell you really are missing the point of the thread.
Talking about practical stuff.
Or maybe you think we are all put on the planet to sing to the great god mammon.

The thread is doubly practical of course because it is still possible to get hold of stuff that is considered passe by some.
So some folk might be encouraged by practical knowledge (of which there is much on here) to keep their older stuff running, or to swerve the siren calls of buying some new pricey thing which might be heading for a dead end very soon. Sooner than their old stuff. While wasting loads of their time in the meantime struggling with entirely gratuitous compatibility questions.
As for your idea that it's like complaining about the rain, also missing the point.
When it rains I put some appropriate gear on.
(and that isn't necessarily what someone thinks is so this year/month).
Feel free to address the issue - recent genuine advances. Or not.
Sweep

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3638
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Bmblbzzz » 5 Oct 2020, 12:59pm

Sweep wrote: recent genuine advances.

Do you mean they're genuinely recent - in which case we need to decide whether to date from time of invention or time of becoming available as a mass-market item - or they're genuinely advances - in which case we need to decide in whose judgment?

Stradageek
Posts: 812
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 1:07pm

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby Stradageek » 5 Oct 2020, 1:12pm

Comparing my early touring days to now I'd say that my favourite innovations are:

Alloy wheels - you can brake in the wet
Alloy square taper cranks - less weight, no cotter pins
Aheadsets - much less trouble than setting up headset lock rings/races and bye bye rusty quill stems
Clipless pedals - no more hunting for the toe clip
Cassette hubs - no more bent axles
Indexed gears - just nicer
Cartridge bearings - apologies to the purists but 'no adjustment needed' and if it fails you don't trash either axles races or hubs
SRAM style 'power links' - so much easier to remove a chain
Machining tolerances - the wheel fits straight into the drop-outs without any alignment issues

But above all the enormous range of recumbent bikes now available - I have one for every purpose

In the 'Never Bettered' category, the SA AW3 IGH

mumbojumbo
Posts: 663
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby mumbojumbo » 5 Oct 2020, 1:16pm

[quoteOnce your legs get older why not electrify on old friend.
][/quote]

Are you advocating some older people euthanise their friend,spouses etc to compensate for mobility issues?

nirakaro
Posts: 1188
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby nirakaro » 5 Oct 2020, 1:22pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Sweep wrote: recent genuine advances.

Do you mean they're genuinely recent - in which case we need to decide whether to date from time of invention or time of becoming available as a mass-market item - or they're genuinely advances - in which case we need to decide in whose judgment?

***Pedantry alert*** "Recent genuine advances" clearly means "genuine advances that are recent". If he'd wanted to refer to genuinely recent advances, he'd have said " genuine recent advances".

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3801
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: List of recent 'innovations' of the cycling industry

Postby simonineaston » 5 Oct 2020, 1:26pm

Don't forget Mr Reilly (as many do)
Am slowly coming to realise that a lot of the leg-work for a whole pile of key inventions appears to have been done by someone other than the person that posterity remembers... thinking: DNA, telephone and so on. Truly, history is written by the victors.
byyeee,
SiE