Fitting different pannier rack to ebike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jancathy

Fitting different pannier rack to ebike

Post by Jancathy »

Hi everyone
I hope someone out there can help me with a problem I have.
I purchased a Ridgeback X3 e-bike which I love. I want to change the pannier rack for the racktime snapit system. On this particular bike, the rack is joined on to the mudguards. I was wondering if it will be safe to take this rack off myself or could it create a problem with the electric in back light. The light is on the mudguard.
I have already ordered the rack.....possibly a bit premature. I also bought a snapit shopper bag, thinking it would fit my rack as I though it was universal. Anyway it doesn’t but I like the system.
I would really appreciate some opinions from anyone who likes tinkering with their cycles.
Many thanks
Jdsk

Re: Fitting different pannier rack to ebike

Post by Jdsk »

Like this?

What sort of light is that.... internal batteries?

Jonathan

Screenshot 2020-10-05 at 14.29.48.png
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-10-05 at 14.31.50.png
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Hi there
Yes, this is the one. I have the step through version of bike as I have dodgy joints so find it easier to get on and off bike. Any ideas please? The rack is a good one but I am wanting to fit the racktime eco 2.0 .
Thanks a lot
Jane
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

The lights work off the computer on bike, so I wonder if there is a cable of some description on the underside of mudguard. As you can tell, I am a novice where e bikes are concerned.
Thanks Jane
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

OK... yes, it could cause a problem.

The best solution would be to find that wiring, probably under the mudguard or in one the rack tubes, and see if you can preserve it intact. Then refit it to the new rack.

If you can't then you'd have to work out how it's wired so that you can cut/ extend it whatever. Probably not too difficult.

Or abandon the computer control and fit a new battery (could be USB chargeable) rear light. Leaving the old wires on open circuit probably won't affect anything...

Or see if the old rack and light can stay in place and modify it or the luggage you want or both.

Jonathan
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Thankyou Jonathon,
I think it sounds a bit too complicated for me to do. The idea of leaving original one on and altering it sounds more sensible for my skills. It is kind of you to take the time to reply and I appreciate that.
Regards Jane
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you got a URL for the bag(s) you'd like to use... there might be an acceptable modification so that it can fit your existing rack.

Jonathan
slowster

Post by slowster »

I expect that trying to fit another rack with the existing one still in place will be more problematic (if not outright impossible) than removing the existing rack, attaching a new rack (which might also need an additional new bracket to attach the mudguard to it), and re-connecting the rear light.

Although we do not know what your exact requirements are as far as the shopping bag is concerned, especially its carrying capacity, I suspect your best option would be to return the rack and bag if you are able to (I would hope that you are still within the time allowed to do so, e.g. under distance selling regulations).

Then get one of the following Ortlieb bags which have a universal rack fitting system suitable for most racks from 60mm to 160mm wide. I've provided links to both Rose Bikes in Germany and SJS in the UK because neither has them all in stock. Other colours are also available. NB Ignore the pop up on the Rose website about not shipping to the UK: that only refers to complete bicycles.

22 litres - https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ortlieb-rear-bike-basket-851823

15 litres - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-bicycle-basket-w-racklock-adapter-blackgrey-15-litre/

12 litres - https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ortlieb-city-trunk-bag-rc-with-rack-lock-adapter-2652883 / https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-trunk-bag-rc-red-black-12-litre/

8 litres - https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ortlieb-city-trunk-bag-with-rack-lock-adapter-2653073 / https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-trunk-bag-red-black-8-litre/

More details of the rack lock system here:

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/service/technical/rack-lock

[youtube]yHjTDi4qiy8[/youtube]
slowster

Post by slowster »

I would also add that you might be better served by getting two 'small' panniers instead. By small I mean the ones that are usually intended for use as front panniers. Ortlieb make the best and they fit 99.9% of racks. Various colours are available and I would suggest either the roll top type or the Sport Packer version with a lid. Although the lidded type might seem preferable, the roll top type version is very good for shopping: it's better at accommodating the extra items if you buy slightly too much (i.e. you don't roll the bag at the top), or if something is a bulky or awkward shape.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-sport-roller-free-ql21-panniers-black-25-litre/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-sport-packer-classic-ql21-panniers-black-30-litre/

NB If you go for panniers, I would advise against just using one pannier. The uneven weight distribution is not good for pannier racks, and whilst that might not matter so much with the heavy duty aftermarket pannier racks, I would be concerned that your rack might be more likely to fail prematurely if frequently loaded on one side.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

I've not seen the actual bike but I'm wondering if the current for the rear light might be carried via the mudguard itself??
I have seen it done, using the foil in a side section of the mudguard as the "live" conductor, and connections to it via small brass rivets at either end. The stays are connected to the centre section of the foil, as is the light, so that it does duty as the earth contact in a single wire setup.
Suitable mudguards have the internal foil divided into three sections, longways, giving two narrow transparent bands.
This may be a red herring with your Ridgeback though!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Rear lights similar to yours normally fit using two bolts through holes in a flat plate on the back of the rack, with the bolts being captive within the light.
These holes would normally be either 50 or 80 mm apart (or sometimes two pairs of holes) - on the Racktime Eco 2, they are 50 mm apart.

The plate location on the Racktime Eco looks like it would go in a very similar position to the current light location, so if you are lucky, you will be able to unbolt the light from the existing rack, remove the rack, fit the new rack, and bolt the light back on.

Possible problems are:
* The light uses a non-standard fitting.
* The bolts on the light aren't 50 mm apart.
* the existing cable isn't long enough to reach the new position, or it runs through a rack leg.

The upper fixings on the Eco 2 rack should bolt on to the fittings at the top of the seatstays.
The rods supplied with the rack may not be long enough, in which case extra long rods are available, which may be bent if that's required to clear the wheel lock
slowster

Post by slowster »

andrew_s wrote:so if you are lucky, you will be able to unbolt the light from the existing rack, remove the rack, fit the new rack, and bolt the light back on.

If you were not lucky, you might need a new bracket, such as the Tubus Mudguard Holder, and to drill a new hole in the mudguard to correspond to the position of the new rack and that bracket, in order to fasten them together with a nut and bolt.

It also looks to me like the "nurse's lock" on the seat stays will indeed get in the way of the struts from a new rack to the bosses on the seat stays. The struts could be bent so that they went around the lock, but that would potentially require a very tight radius bend, which the OP is unlikely to find easy and which I think is less than ideal for maintaining the strength of the struts.
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Thanks to everyone who has answered my question. I think I may have made a big mistake in ordering the rack and already purchased the bag. I had no idea that it would be so complicated. I thought all I would have to do was remove present rack and then fit the new one. As far as the bag goes, I thought it would fit any modern rack. Oh well, we live and learn. All this started just because I liked this particular Vaude bag!
I will study these options and make up my mind after a lot of thought.
Jancathy
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Don't give up hope!

What are the details of the bag?

Jonathan
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Hi
It’s called the road master shopper and the capacity is 11 litres. I bought it through eBay and it was posted from a Germany. I have had it too long to send it back unfortunately.