XT RD M772 like grandfather's axe?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: XT RD M772 like grandfather's axe?

Post by mikeymo »

boblo wrote:
mikeymo wrote:<snip>
Still, at least one user has posted getting the the same FD, with the same shifters, as I'm proposing to use as working just fine with a 44-34-22 XT chainset. So not impossible.

As I've said before, I'm an eccentric millionaire who enjoys collecting spare 9 speed parts.
<snip>

That might have been my XT triple? I hadn't thought about the chainline but I do remember using 2 spacers on the 'wrong' side which would account for the 45mm-50mm difference. At the time, I did it just to get stuff working rather than spend any time over it in deep thought :wink:

So XT 44/32/22 with an XT M772 rear dérailleur, Sora front dérailleur and Sora 3x9 STI's. It shifts perfectly. I used bar ends before and held off migrating to the Sora's for years as I didn't want to risk moving to something potentially not as good without a compelling reason to do so. An enforced new build was that reason.

A curious nexus of events has meant I now have not one, but two M-772s. One actual NOS, in a box with original fitting instructions and everyfink, and a pretty good lightly used one. I've also got an M531 (MTB front derailleur) somewhere, if I want to try it with a MTB crankset, and maybe a longer BB or something. Or that eccentric FD shim that SJS sells looks like a solution to get out to MTB chainline, especially as my seat tube is 28.6.

However, I set up the FD the other day, and it works perfectly with a Sora FD and 48-38-26 against 11-34. Even without trimming every single combination ran without chain rub, even small-small and big-big. So I'm sort of happy to stick with it.

Still, what's that they say - "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it till it is"