Page 2 of 3

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 3:22pm
by pwa
The Shimano design seems to be reliably quiet (a good thing), but are there any other quiet freehubs out there?

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 3:28pm
by Mick F
Like I said, the higher groups of Campag.
When I was running a Chorus rear hub, it was silent.

Also rather delicate. Broke the cassette carrier twice, and gave up with Campag rear.
Cheaper to buy a whole new hub and harvest the bits and sell the shell and QR's, than to buy a single replacement cassette carrier.
At least I had the bearings and seals, and the cups and cones too ............ which fit the front too.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 3:50pm
by pwa
Mick F wrote:Like I said, the higher groups of Campag.
When I was running a Chorus rear hub, it was silent.

Also rather delicate. Broke the cassette carrier twice, and gave up with Campag rear.
Cheaper to buy a whole new hub and harvest the bits and sell the shell and QR's, than to buy a single replacement cassette carrier.
At least I had the bearings and seals, and the cups and cones too ............ which fit the front too.


So if I want quiet and reliable I'm best sticking with Shimano?

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 5:09pm
by Marcus Aurelius
Mick F wrote:Told this story before.
May have all been superseded by now, but what I say is valid.

Campagnolo have (had?) two different hubs.
One is/was used in the lower groups ........ Xenon/Mirage etc, the the other in the higher groups Chorus/Record/Super Record etc.

The lower one is/was very noisy - very noisy indeed.
The higher one is/was almost silent.

Why?
Because of the number of teeth on the ratchet ring, the size of the pawls, and the spring system. Higher groups have/had a single circular spring and the lower groups individual spiral springs one each for the three pawls.

All these design differences make a huge difference to the noise.

I have the super record on mine. It’s pretty loud.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 5:32pm
by cycle tramp
Loud Freewheels Save Lives!

Pardon Our Freewheels, Its The Sound Of Freedom!

..and, er, other slogans that I've misappropriated from the biker community...

p.s My Das's old BSA exhaust noise was tested once during an MOT, its recorded out put was 104 db - that was loud....

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 6:06pm
by bgnukem
I pack my freehub bearings with grease, mainly to avoid diluting the grease in the hub bearings with oil. I get no clicking noises from the freehub pawls and they work fine though you need to allow for some slippage initially until the grease breaks down and thins a bit.

You need the type of freehub body with a removable rear seal though, and push grease through with the palm of your hand until it emerges into the hub bearing race.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 8:48pm
by Brucey
pwa wrote:...So if I want quiet and reliable I'm best sticking with Shimano?


yes. Just avoid some of the more recent designs which ought to have been 'stronger' but in practice weren't.

FWIW I think bgnukem should use SFG; any slippage means a fair chance of breakage.

cheers

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 8:00am
by francovendee
I'm glad it's not just me that dislike these noisy things.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 10:34am
by Mick F
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Mick F wrote:Told this story before.
May have all been superseded by now, but what I say is valid.

Campagnolo have (had?) two different hubs.
One is/was used in the lower groups ........ Xenon/Mirage etc, the the other in the higher groups Chorus/Record/Super Record etc.

The lower one is/was very noisy - very noisy indeed.
The higher one is/was almost silent.

Why?
Because of the number of teeth on the ratchet ring, the size of the pawls, and the spring system. Higher groups have/had a single circular spring and the lower groups individual spiral springs one each for the three pawls.

All these design differences make a huge difference to the noise.

I have the super record on mine. It’s pretty loud.
Which vintage?

Sorry, should have said, I mean the 9sp/10sp stuff, not anything earlier or later, so if you have something different, I couldn't comment.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 11:51am
by bgnukem
Brucey wrote:
pwa wrote:...So if I want quiet and reliable I'm best sticking with Shimano?


yes. Just avoid some of the more recent designs which ought to have been 'stronger' but in practice weren't.

FWIW I think bgnukem should use SFG; any slippage means a fair chance of breakage.

cheers


I'm sure you're right. I have some of that Carlube spray SFG so might stick a shot of that in next time. still a lot thinner than the grease I use in the hub bearings though so I fear it will dilute it.

I find the freehubs start slipping when the bearings get contaminated too.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 1:17pm
by mig
Brucey wrote:
pwa wrote:...So if I want quiet and reliable I'm best sticking with Shimano?


yes. Just avoid some of the more recent designs which ought to have been 'stronger' but in practice weren't.

FWIW I think bgnukem should use SFG; any slippage means a fair chance of breakage.

cheers


or most track hubs :wink:

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 1:42pm
by hoogerbooger
Probably better to not use a spray SFG and apply SFG to pawls/ dog ring/ chamber they are in. That's what I'll do.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 17 Oct 2020, 6:15pm
by Marcus Aurelius
Mick F wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Mick F wrote:Told this story before.
May have all been superseded by now, but what I say is valid.

Campagnolo have (had?) two different hubs.
One is/was used in the lower groups ........ Xenon/Mirage etc, the the other in the higher groups Chorus/Record/Super Record etc.

The lower one is/was very noisy - very noisy indeed.
The higher one is/was almost silent.

Why?
Because of the number of teeth on the ratchet ring, the size of the pawls, and the spring system. Higher groups have/had a single circular spring and the lower groups individual spiral springs one each for the three pawls.

All these design differences make a huge difference to the noise.

I have the super record on mine. It’s pretty loud.
Which vintage?

Sorry, should have said, I mean the 9sp/10sp stuff, not anything earlier or later, so if you have something different, I couldn't comment.

New 12 speed stuff, it’s loud but not quite Chris King loud.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 17 Oct 2020, 6:24pm
by Mick F
12sp .......... can't comment in the slightest regarding Campag 12sp.

I was illustrating the point that the "noise" was changed by the pawl spring(s), the pawl sizes, and the number of ratchets on the ring.

Re: Noisy freehubs cause me much distress. Why so noisy ?

Posted: 17 Oct 2020, 6:34pm
by Boring_Username
They're noisy because they're shouting at fellow cyclists:

These are £600 wheels! These are £600 wheels!