Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
yostumpy

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Post by yostumpy »

being an equally 'big bloke' of around 15 st, I would say get a Spa cycles 'Nidd' . It's a b17 but from a different maker, but with much thicker leather and longer rails , so it slides back further, which you'll need if you don't have a seatpost with a decent setback. The Brooks will be more comfortable initially, but the quality is not what it used to be, and will stretch and sag, and won't take kindly to being ridden when wet. The Spa has much thicker leather, and also a very thin sheet of something bonded to the underside that prevents excess stretching, but allows it to mould to your shape. Out of the box ( or bag) it will sound like a brick if you tap it. But they do get better. Mine is probably 10 years old and around 60,000km. The Spa is a lot cheaper than the brooks as well, and second hand ones sell quickly, but of course will be a lot cheaper than a sh Brooks.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I have found the Team Pro Classic a good tough saddle, based on the B17 Competition (not the B17 Champion), unfortunately yet another one that 'Brooks' has stopped making as Selle Royal switches over to them rubber things made in Italy. They even make a rubber B67 now! So the only Team Pro Classics are what retailers already have out there.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

yostumpy wrote:The Brooks will be more comfortable initially, but the quality is not what it used to be, and will stretch and sag, and won't take kindly to being ridden when wet. The Spa has much thicker leather, and also a very thin sheet of something bonded to the underside that prevents excess stretching, but allows it to mould to your shape.

Ta very much - You've just saved me a pretty packet!
I was wondering whether to get a Cambium for winter use. I'd entirely forgotten that when my Nidd was new I actually soaked it for a few hours in an attempt to soften it a little. It didn't work...
That'll be an other 'Strilian Special then :D Might try one of the wider ones this time around...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

DaveP wrote:
yostumpy wrote:The Brooks will be more comfortable initially, but the quality is not what it used to be, and will stretch and sag, and won't take kindly to being ridden when wet. The Spa has much thicker leather, and also a very thin sheet of something bonded to the underside that prevents excess stretching, but allows it to mould to your shape.

Ta very much - You've just saved me a pretty packet!
I was wondering whether to get a Cambium for winter use. I'd entirely forgotten that when my Nidd was new I actually soaked it for a few hours in an attempt to soften it a little. It didn't work...
That'll be an other 'Strilian Special then :D Might try one of the wider ones this time around...

Periodically , especially in the summer months, I raid the kitchen cupboard, and hide in the shed with the Olive oil. Pour a little on 2 fingers, then slower smother the leather with the oil, and it goes darker as it soaks in. First time I did it, only on the 3rd go did it stop soaking in, then I left it in the sun to dry / air off, made it much more pliable.
bigbloke
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

Post by bigbloke »

Thanks again all .

After reading everything, cross referencing other sites and articles as well as "university of Youtube"
I made my purchase

I went for a Flyer.

Had to work away a lot this week but it was waiting for me when I got home. Put the proofer on it ,
and finally fitted it today. Took a LOT of adjustment to find the right position- much taller than the
incumbent saddle and needed to be lowered, tilted and shifted further backwards.

Zero squeaks so far even with my 20+stone Bulk on it

Now to break the beggar in ! :-)

Regards

BB
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

yostumpy wrote:
DaveP wrote:I raid the kitchen cupboard, and hide in the shed with the Olive oil. Pour a little on 2 fingers, then slower smother the leather

Olive oil Eh! Never thought of that. I'll bear it in mind if my new black Nidd is too stubborn. Thanks
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Boyonabike

Post by Boyonabike »

I binned a very saggy B17 for a Flyer. It squeaks due to the springs and is very comfy but took a long time to become comfy. In my case it wasn't the mileage but the adjustment. Pitched up a few degrees, right amount of forward back position and height - a few mm can be the difference between agony and ecstasy.