Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
yostumpy
Posts: 744
Joined: 29 Oct 2010, 6:56pm

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby yostumpy » 23 Oct 2020, 7:09am

being an equally 'big bloke' of around 15 st, I would say get a Spa cycles 'Nidd' . It's a b17 but from a different maker, but with much thicker leather and longer rails , so it slides back further, which you'll need if you don't have a seatpost with a decent setback. The Brooks will be more comfortable initially, but the quality is not what it used to be, and will stretch and sag, and won't take kindly to being ridden when wet. The Spa has much thicker leather, and also a very thin sheet of something bonded to the underside that prevents excess stretching, but allows it to mould to your shape. Out of the box ( or bag) it will sound like a brick if you tap it. But they do get better. Mine is probably 10 years old and around 60,000km. The Spa is a lot cheaper than the brooks as well, and second hand ones sell quickly, but of course will be a lot cheaper than a sh Brooks.

WrightsW5
Posts: 817
Joined: 1 Jun 2010, 10:37pm
Location: Saddle City

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby WrightsW5 » 23 Oct 2020, 12:46pm

I have found the Team Pro Classic a good tough saddle, based on the B17 Competition (not the B17 Champion), unfortunately yet another one that 'Brooks' has stopped making as Selle Royal switches over to them rubber things made in Italy. They even make a rubber B67 now! So the only Team Pro Classics are what retailers already have out there.

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3333
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby DaveP » 23 Oct 2020, 3:28pm

yostumpy wrote:The Brooks will be more comfortable initially, but the quality is not what it used to be, and will stretch and sag, and won't take kindly to being ridden when wet. The Spa has much thicker leather, and also a very thin sheet of something bonded to the underside that prevents excess stretching, but allows it to mould to your shape.

Ta very much - You've just saved me a pretty packet!
I was wondering whether to get a Cambium for winter use. I'd entirely forgotten that when my Nidd was new I actually soaked it for a few hours in an attempt to soften it a little. It didn't work...
That'll be an other 'Strilian Special then :D Might try one of the wider ones this time around...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

yostumpy
Posts: 744
Joined: 29 Oct 2010, 6:56pm

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby yostumpy » 23 Oct 2020, 4:14pm

DaveP wrote:
yostumpy wrote:The Brooks will be more comfortable initially, but the quality is not what it used to be, and will stretch and sag, and won't take kindly to being ridden when wet. The Spa has much thicker leather, and also a very thin sheet of something bonded to the underside that prevents excess stretching, but allows it to mould to your shape.

Ta very much - You've just saved me a pretty packet!
I was wondering whether to get a Cambium for winter use. I'd entirely forgotten that when my Nidd was new I actually soaked it for a few hours in an attempt to soften it a little. It didn't work...
That'll be an other 'Strilian Special then :D Might try one of the wider ones this time around...

Periodically , especially in the summer months, I raid the kitchen cupboard, and hide in the shed with the Olive oil. Pour a little on 2 fingers, then slower smother the leather with the oil, and it goes darker as it soaks in. First time I did it, only on the 3rd go did it stop soaking in, then I left it in the sun to dry / air off, made it much more pliable.

User avatar
bigbloke
Posts: 145
Joined: 13 Apr 2010, 8:15am
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby bigbloke » 24 Oct 2020, 10:58pm

Thanks again all .

After reading everything, cross referencing other sites and articles as well as "university of Youtube"
I made my purchase

I went for a Flyer.

Had to work away a lot this week but it was waiting for me when I got home. Put the proofer on it ,
and finally fitted it today. Took a LOT of adjustment to find the right position- much taller than the
incumbent saddle and needed to be lowered, tilted and shifted further backwards.

Zero squeaks so far even with my 20+stone Bulk on it

Now to break the beggar in ! :-)

Regards

BB

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3333
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby DaveP » 24 Oct 2020, 11:43pm

yostumpy wrote:
DaveP wrote:I raid the kitchen cupboard, and hide in the shed with the Olive oil. Pour a little on 2 fingers, then slower smother the leather


Olive oil Eh! Never thought of that. I'll bear it in mind if my new black Nidd is too stubborn. Thanks
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

Boyonabike
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 Oct 2019, 10:46pm

Re: Brooks B17 Versus their Flyer / 67

Postby Boyonabike » 25 Oct 2020, 8:51am

I binned a very saggy B17 for a Flyer. It squeaks due to the springs and is very comfy but took a long time to become comfy. In my case it wasn't the mileage but the adjustment. Pitched up a few degrees, right amount of forward back position and height - a few mm can be the difference between agony and ecstasy.