10 speed rear mech with 9 speed system?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NUKe

Re: 10 speed rear mech with 9 speed system?

Post by NUKe »

it was 2010 but I mistaken bought s 10spd 105 for an speed, Sora bike . I was about to send it back but decided to measure it. the two mechs measured the same in terms of cage width and length ran no problems.
NUKe

Post by Sweep »

NUKe wrote:it was 2010 but I mistaken bought s 10spd 105 for an speed, Sora bike . I was about to send it back but decided to measure it. the two mechs measured the same in terms of cage width and length ran no problems.

mm - odd - doesn't seem to agree with tech stuff posted by other folks.
Can anyone explain?
am assuming that
>> I mistaken bought s 10spd 105 for an speed,

should have had a "9" typed before "speed".
Sweep
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

NUKe wrote:it was 2010 but I mistaken bought s 10spd 105 for an speed, Sora bike . I was about to send it back but decided to measure it. the two mechs measured the same in terms of cage width and length ran no problems.

As is possibly already explained RDs don't have speeds, only pull ratio and then parameters such as cog size, capacity etc.

D-a 7400 1:1.9 (cable pull to derailleur movement )
Everything else up to release of MTB 10 speed (i.e. including the then current road 10 speed) 1:1.7
MTB 10-12 speed generations 1:1.2 (approx.: these aren't published figures)
Road 11 + all 10 speed road released since road 11 1:1.4

SRAM more helpfully refers to things by actuation ratio 'x-actuation', '1:1' and such like, so you only need to match that up rather than the unhelpful reference to speeds that Shimano uses.

105 10 speed would be the 1:1.7, as it predates 11 speed, so exactly the same as Sora and Claris , just with an alloy cage rather than a steel one.