Is my Dented Jamis Nova Sport aluminium Frame salvageable?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Is my Dented Jamis Nova Sport aluminium Frame salvageable?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

My suggestion would be to scrap the fork. Then get some hi-viz spray paint and spray a circle round the dent before taking the frame to a bike recycling or bike kitchen type place where someone can take the chance on it if they want. You hear plenty of tales of people riding with cracked down tubes and that would tend to go slowly, whereas the fork is likely to go suddenly (if carbon - you don't say whether it's carbon or also aluminium) and with worse consequences.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

fausto99 wrote:The fork, where the steerer tube joins the fork crown, is the crucial bit. I'd be surprised if that wasn't seriously damaged if the down tube has that much of a crease. You don't want to be riding when the fork parts company with the steerer!

Is be supprised if the fork was seriously damaged.

The damage to to down tube was easily done especially if double butted.

I might not have been a front impact anyway? A thief trying to steal a bike could easily cause such damage.

I won't ride a bike in that state as it could fail.

Cheers James
mig

Post by mig »

there's a bit of clue here in the fact that the frame was given away for free.

clearly the previous owner had decided not to use it.

the fork may or may not be damaged. who knows until it's inspected thoroughly. i have had a fork break on a climb. not great. when i was rolling around in the road the last thing on my mind would have been what a bargain i'd had with a freebie frame for as long as it has lasted.... :!:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mig wrote:there's a bit of clue here in the fact that the frame was given away for free.

clearly the previous owner had decided not to use it.

the fork may or may not be damaged. who knows until it's inspected thoroughly. i have had a fork break on a climb. not great. when i was rolling around in the road the last thing on my mind would have been what a bargain i'd had with a freebie frame for as long as it has lasted.... :!:

I like your careful wording ( not friend ). Does the person have any grudge against you? :twisted:
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

''he who throws the frame away, lives to ride another day......Rodney''