QR position on new Disc bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ianwhitwell

QR position on new Disc bike

Post by Ianwhitwell »

Hi
Just picked up my new Spa Elan 725 with steel fork this weekend. Done 2 rides and though it feels weird after riding a flat bar MTB for years, it is certainly comfortable and better for my wrists. However, i noticed the QR skewers is on the same side as the disc brake. I knew I'd read something about this and checking today it turns out there have been cases when the skewer has come loose and got caught in the disc. Should I be worried about this?? is there a way to mitigate any risk?? i haven't bought a new bike for 20 years or more and so I'm something of a novice but trust that a reputable company wouldn't be doing anything dangerous ( out of interest my wife's new ebike came with the skewer on the disc side as well). Appreciate reassurance from the experienced and experts out there.
boblo

Re: QR position on new Disc bike

Post by boblo »

Assuming you mean Q/R and not T/A, they're all like that...

Obviously you can clock the position of the lever where ever you want to avoid it getting snagged but assuming a normal lever/clearance, I can't see how it would catch the disc... P'raps post a pic just to be sure.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Shimano QR levers only have a range of movement of approximately 180 degrees, so I think if you check you will find that the lever would not be able to be flipped back far enough to touch the disc.

I prefer to fit the QR on a front disc wheel on the drive side anyway because it reduces the likelihood that my potentially greasy or oily fingers will make contact with the disc.

I would be much more concerned about the risks from exposed cam skewers which can become loose without warning, and from downward opening drop outs which can allow a front disc braked wheel to be violently ejected if the QR is not sufficiently tight or becomes loose. That is why the drop outs on the Elan steel fork face forwards, and is also one of the advantages of thru-axles over traditional QR front hubs. If you have downward opening drop outs, I think it's a good idea to check the tightness of the QR regularly, even the Shimano enclosed cam ones.

One of my bikes has downward opening drop outs and disc brakes, and I know that I ought to be more dilligent about checking that the front Shimano QR is tight at regular intervals. At some point I'll put a dab of red paint or similar on the top of the QR nut, where it will be visible from above and when I am riding the bike. If vibration starts to cause the nut to loosen, which I think is more likely to happen on the disc side, the change in position of the paint will provide a warning that the nut is rotating.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

As far as I know, this was a problem specific to certain brands and models of bikes built up to and including 2015, and led to a major recall (first by Trek, then by 16 other manufacturers). I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's a current risk on new bikes.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/17-brand ... ase-issue/

Useful diagram of the problem here:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/trek- ... he%20rider.

"This recall involves all models of Trek bicycles from model years 2000 through 2015 equipped with front disc brakes and a black or silver quick release lever on the front wheel hub that opens far enough to contact the disc brake (see Figures 1 and 2). Bicycles with front quick release levers that do not open a full 180 degrees from the closed position, are not included in this recall."
If in doubt, flip the Q/R lever open and see whether you can push it all the way back until it touches the disc rotor.

... But not while you're riding it. :-)
RickH

Post by RickH »

I switched both of the QR levers over to the non disc side on my Kona Sutra simply because it give more finger room to operate the levers.

Plus, if I've just stopped, there's reduced risk of contact with a hot rotor (not that I reckon it was a very high risk in the first place).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

Hi
Thanks for that everyone. I now feel re-assured.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

New fangled internet based twaddle. QR's should be on the left. Front facing either to the rearor better still tucked in tidily al,ong sidefork. Rear points forward neatly under chain stay.Anything different is pure heresey.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

As mentioned upthread there was a recall on many non-Shimano QRs circa 2015. If it's a Shimano QR have no fear about putting it on the right or left, but do it up nice and tight!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

RickH wrote:I switched both of the QR levers over to the non disc side on my Kona Sutra simply because it give more finger room to operate the levers.

Does that not lead to oily fingers and difficulty getting the wheel back in the dropouts, in the event of a rear wheel puncture?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mattsccm wrote:New fangled internet based twaddle. QR's should be on the left. Front facing either to the rearor better still tucked in tidily al,ong sidefork. Rear points forward neatly under chain stay.Anything different is pure heresey.

This sounds like more new fangled internet based twaddle masquerading as, er, older twaddle. However I mostly agree if you are talking about a traditional road bike with rim brakes etc. I say 'mostly' because a curved rear QR usually sits best at ~10 o'clock , not beneath the chainstay. Beneath the chainstay it can snag on things (eg in a prang) and will also collect passing vegetation etc.

Front wheels with disc brakes. suspension forks and or hub generators? 'It depends'; often the QR is best on the right not the left. I'd still choose to have the rear QR on the left rather than the right though; as Andrew says the lever tends to get a bit mucky on the right and I note that the rear disc is less likely to be hot enough to burn you since it usually isn't the thing that has just stopped you.

BTW at the front some QR levers sit better (more neatly) next to a bouncy fork when they are fitted to the right not the left, and with a hub generator, having the lever on the right is an 'aide memoir' that you need to unplug the electrical connections before dropping the wheel out. The risk of disc burns from a front disc is greater because it is usually hotter than a rear disc (the rear brake doesn't usually contribute more than 20% to a hard stop) and more of the front disc is exposed to burn you too. Having the front QR on the right greatly reduces the risk of disc burns.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Ianwhitwell wrote:Hi
I knew I'd read something about this and checking today it turns out there have been cases when the skewer has come loose and got caught in the disc. Should I be worried about this??

This is the bit that caught my attention. No skewer should be working loose. If that happens, the lever part being stuck in the rotor should be the least of your worries.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.