Mudguards and Disc Brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
arran98

Mudguards and Disc Brakes

Post by arran98 »

The 'guards (SKS) are on the way but the penny has just dropped that there is a disc brake caliper on the front fork.

Do I work around this or can I use the front pannier mounts? Bike is a 2016 Pinnacle Lithium.

Thanks in advance.

Iain.
pwa

Re: Mudguards and Disc Brakes

Post by pwa »

It is easier to work this out when you have the stays in your hands. Do you think the disc brake gets in the way on that side?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It looks like the 2016 lithium has mid fork mounting points on the outside of the leg and reasonable clearance between the fork crown and tyre. The mid fork mount should make mudguard fitting reasonably straightforward because the stays will pass above the disc.

It should look a bit like this picture but the mounts look lower down the leg on the lithium.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is supposed to be safer using the higher (mid leg) mounts anyway. The guard tends to behave in a better way if something gets stuck in it.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have fitted mudguards to a variety of disc brakes bikes with eyelets on or adjacent to the dropouts. A bit of careful measuring and bending of the stays gets you a sound result.
If you are likely to be doing alterations like that it’s worth hanging on to spacers such as the dished ones found on v-brake pads that would normally be chucked when the pad is worn out.
Another tip is to put aside any cheap n nasty M5 Allen bolts provided with the guards and replace with stainless steel items. If space allows it buy slightly longer ones and fit a stainless locknut on the inside of the eyelet.
Last edited by peetee on 6 Nov 2020, 3:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Flinger mudguards have stays that are kinked to avoid discs. The stays are also a larger diameter.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/7 ... 00c-black/
slowster

Post by slowster »

tatanab wrote:Flinger mudguards have stays that are kinked to avoid discs. The stays are also a larger diameter.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/7 ... 00c-black/

The Flinger stay is bent outwards to go around the disc brake caliper. Consequently there is a risk, which will probably vary depending upon the shape of the caliper and how far it protrudes outwards, that the safety release will not work properly, because the V of the stay will snag on the caliper.

An alternative is to bend the stays such that they go underneath the caliper, but that is likely to require extra long stays and is a fiddly task because it is likely to require four bends in total which need to be fairly precise to route them underneath the caliper and maintain the angle/bend in the V of the stay where it enters the Secuclip.

I would choose either mounting on the boss midway up the fork leg, or using spacer(s) between the Secuclip and eyelet on the fork. If the latter, then my preference would be to fit the bolt on the inside of the eyelet so that it provided a stud to which the spacer(s) and Secuclip would be bolted, and to use a threaded coupling nut as the spacer.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

The discs are not usually the problem, it's the calipers that get in the way. The clash is resolved easily using a 5-10mm spacer and longer, stainless steel fixing bolts.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

arran98 wrote:The 'guards (SKS) are on the way but the penny has just dropped that there is a disc brake caliper on the front fork.

Do I work around this or can I use the front pannier mounts? Bike is a 2016 Pinnacle Lithium.

Use the front pannier mounts. It's safer. The mudguard stay won't jam against the wheel if you get something stuck in the front wheel and the mudguard folds up

There will probably be a picture on here with the mudguards mounted like that. If I new how to search for it ...
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

6.5_lives_left wrote:
There will probably be a picture on here with the mudguards mounted like that. If I new how to search for it ...

Scroll up! :lol:
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

Oh damn, I must look like a right nitwit.

I didn't see the image because I am a member of the 'tin foil hat' brigade. I use a kind of filter called 'ublock origin' that sometimes masks images on web sites, thought it does stop the likes of facebook, twitter, google et al from tracking you. I can see the picture now I have allowed flicker.com .
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just bend the stay!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

disc calipers are festooned with M6 bolts. A simple angle bracket with a 6mm hole on one face and a 5mm hole on the other allows any caliper bolt to be used to mount mudguard stays as well. This method allows the stays to be matched better side to side (if you want to use low mountings), and perhaps importantly be straight, too.

These suntour brackets are very close to what I had in mind but they have two 5mm holes in, I think, so are probably not suitable.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I've found that mudguards with a single stay, such as Honjo, Berthoud, and Velo-Orange, fit without problem because the stay comes into the eyelet underneath the caliper. Veloduo sell quite a number of these. Here's an image off their website showing their single stay carbon-fibre mudguards fitted to a disc frame:

arran98

Post by arran98 »

What a great response and thanks everyone.

Going for the mid fork option. Measure twice and cut once!

Iain.