Daylight lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Re: Daylight lights

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote:
gregoryoftours wrote:With a helmet light I can always stop people if they try such funny business. I have it pointed slightly down in normal use, but just tip my head back a little when people decide that a person on a bike is a bit too non-consequential, and that always works.

My helmet lights are much less bright than that. Couldn't dazzle anyone. [...]

Good. Dazzling drivers is both illegal and pretty stupid because many of them will drive blind, possibly straight into you or another rider.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Totally agree, and all of our other lights are aligned accordingly.

Jonathan
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

CliveyT wrote:two years ago I worked late in the summer and it was dark when I came home- and my lights weren't working. Swearing quietly I fished my emergency lights out of the bag and got home. Next day I tried to work out what had gone wrong. Hub was still generating, wire still intact. After a lot of thought I eventually worked it out.
Did you know that the front light has a switch on it, that you can turn it off with? :lol:

I had that problem too, when some helpful soul at the pub had tried to turn my standlight off, without saying anything.
I spent about 5 minutes checking plugs and wires etc before I remembered there was a switch. I hadn't touched it in some long time before, as it normally only gets used for daytime fog and railway station platforms (sensomatic lighting).
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

mjr wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
gregoryoftours wrote:With a helmet light I can always stop people if they try such funny business. I have it pointed slightly down in normal use, but just tip my head back a little when people decide that a person on a bike is a bit too non-consequential, and that always works.

My helmet lights are much less bright than that. Couldn't dazzle anyone. [...]

Good. Dazzling drivers is both illegal and pretty stupid because many of them will drive blind, possibly straight into you or another rider.

I don't think that they need to be/should be bright enough to dazzle, that's not the objective.
Sometimes I find it necessary to momentarily nudge a road users brain to register my existence rather than continue to pull out in a dangerous manner, for instance. Whether they really haven't seen me or I am simply not enough of a presence to them, then I will choose to make myself more visible and tangible to them for an instant. A bit like flashing headlights it is noticeable but not dazzling.

It is safer for me that way and I'll continue to do it as a last resort. I've had close calls at roundabouts and junctions with good visible road position (and good wide beam lights) but no ability to direct my light. I've had none that got anywhere near as hairy when I was able to direct my light to influence behaviour.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

If any of you bozos have actually cared to read the OPs comments … he doesn't want a hub dynamo … he doesn't want regular flashing lights … he wants a light specifically made to use during the day, and then one that might fit onto a helmet.
I should coco.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks valbrona. I was wondering where to run the wires inside my jacket from the dynamo. I brought a topeak helmet light which weighs nothing and use cateye batteries to see where I am going and I agree about not dazzling people as some cyclists round here are blinding.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Exposure link is a good bet, see up post, bonus is it's very small and light, and exposure helmet mounts are great. Drawback is the price, although they can be got for considerably less than rrp.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 12 Nov 2020, 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Cateye Rapid X3 is a rechargeable with, I believe, a daytime mode. Has a variety of attachment options.
I should coco.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

roberts8 wrote:I brought a topeak helmet light which weighs nothing and use cateye batteries to see where I am going and I agree about not dazzling people as some cyclists round here are blinding.

The trouble with helmet lights that are bright enough to ride by is that it's very difficult to avoid blinding people.
They point where you are looking, and a cyclist will almost always at least glance at another cyclist
delilah

Post by delilah »

I've just bought one of these from Merlin. £20 Well pleased with it and you can buy a fitting to mount it on your helmet
Moon Comet x-Pro re –chargeable front light https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-comet ... source=PHG
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

roberts8 wrote:I know it is not everyone's choice but I intend to use flashing lights on my solo dayrides and am thinking of a helmet mounted light. Any thoughts on battery or usb please.

I know you said flashing lights. But steady lights seem to get you better passes as in any gloom you look less like a cyclist from a distance. Driver psychology is a strange thing.

I agree with all those who say get a dynohub. It changed my winter cycling.

Decathlon in the UK and Taylor wheels on the internet both do good deals on basic yet ultra reliable Shimano hubs ready built into wheels. If your knocking around lit streets then. 20-30lux front light will be plenty for spring and been seen, and the beam will be focussed like a vehicle headlight. For unlit and country roads and paths I'd recommend 60-80 lux.