Have to stretch to reach brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Re: Have to stretch to reach brakes

Post by mattsccm »

Might I suggest new bars? Brake/shifter units sit much higher than was common when they were just brakes. Can't see how a different style and use of lever can universally be fitted to an older bar. It may work, it may not.
The pic, to me, proves it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How are the hand positions that don't involve the hoods? Is it comfortable on the tops and the drops?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One way of testing if getting the hoods nearer might help without shelling out is to rotate the handlebars bars a bit to achieve that. I was still a growing lad when I got my first couple of inevitably secondhand bikes and they were too big for me. Twisting the bars like that was my DIY solution till I got a bit taller, although I never got beyond 5' 8"

Obviously, you are not going to grow out of the problem like I did but at least you would have a better idea before parting with your hard-earned.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

As has been said above you definitely need to move the levers up on the bars, they are way too low. If that doesn't do the trick then a shorter stem is needed. If you are particularly keen to maintain originality that looks like an SR "aero" stem which were common enough, so you should be able to find a shorter one on ebay. However as you have gone for modern gearing it would appear that originality is foremost in your mind and any stem of the right dimensions should do the trick for very little money.
tonich

Post by tonich »

peetee wrote:It sounds like you have had a few years off the bike. Don’t underestimate the changes in your flexibility. I am struggling to find a comfortable position after ten years out. I am still riding my old bikes but with shorter and more upright stems but it’s not enough.
The changes you have made to your bike have lengthened the reach. The modern gear/brake levers are considerably longer. Your hand position is now probably 2 or 3 inches forward of your old position at an age where it would probably be better suited 2 or 3 inches back from your old position. Getting a shorter stem might not be that easy. If memory serves those bikes were fitted with Atax bar and stem and they were available in a variety of handlebar diameters so replacing the stem alone may not be easy. That said, to give a good position it may be necessary to buy short reach bars too (those on your bike look a little on the long side too) so the more expensive option might be the only way to get a satisfactory result.

Great post and makes sense but just to add, I haven't been on this particular bike for many years but have always cycled.
Cheers
tonich

Post by tonich »

mattsccm wrote:Might I suggest new bars? Brake/shifter units sit much higher than was common when they were just brakes. Can't see how a different style and use of lever can universally be fitted to an older bar. It may work, it may not.
The pic, to me, proves it.

Thanks for all the advice I have had.
Sound like it's not as simple as a new saddle.
Food for thought with this one!
Thanks
tonich

Post by tonich »

iandusud wrote:As has been said above you definitely need to move the levers up on the bars, they are way too low. If that doesn't do the trick then a shorter stem is needed. If you are particularly keen to maintain originality that looks like an SR "aero" stem which were common enough, so you should be able to find a shorter one on ebay. However as you have gone for modern gearing it would appear that originality is foremost in your mind and any stem of the right dimensions should do the trick for very little money.

Yeah makes sense.
I'll give that a go
tonich

Post by tonich »

Jdsk wrote:How are the hand positions that don't involve the hoods? Is it comfortable on the tops and the drops?

Jonathan

Yeah it's not too bad but stretching to change gears when on top
tonich

Post by tonich »

Thanks for all the brilliant feedback. This has been really appreciated.
On balance, I think I will look for a shorter stem. That will be the least problematic alteration, I hope.
Some other good idea, even moving the seat back got me thinking!!
I'll let you know how I get on.

My mountain bike and tourer hybrid are my goto bikes as I'm not a big fan of cycling on the road but I actually really enjoy cycling a road bike so hopefully I can get over reach sorted
tonich

Post by tonich »

I think I might have found the solution!
https://youtu.be/vPlp-_do2mM
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

tonich wrote:I think I might have found the solution!

This is what you need. Just check the diameter of your bars in the centre. 60mm or 80mm length should do the trick.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-KL-QUILL ... %3A2334524
tonich

Post by tonich »

iandusud wrote:

This is what you need. Just check the diameter of your bars in the centre. 60mm or 80mm length should do the trick.

The problem with those ones is I would need to remove everything from the bars to get the stem to slide into position. Whereas the adaptor allows me to cut the old one, remove it and fit a new stem
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

tonich wrote:
iandusud wrote:

The problem with those ones is I would need to remove everything from the bars to get the stem to slide into position. Whereas the adaptor allows me to cut the old one, remove it and fit a new stem

Well you only need to remove the tape and levers from one side, which is what you'll have to do to get the old stem off. Don't think of cutting the old stem off. The chances of doing that without nicking the bars with the hacksaw or whatever you use are very high and any damage at that point will create a stress riser making a failure highly likely, with potentially very dangerous consequences. It only takes a few minutes to remove the tape and levers. As it is you need to move your levers up on both sides. Also a quill stem is much more in keeping with the style of your bike.
tonich

Post by tonich »

iandusud wrote:
tonich wrote:
iandusud wrote:This is what you need. Just check the diameter of your bars in the centre. 60mm or 80mm length should do the trick.

Well you only need to remove the tape and levers from one side, which is what you'll have to do to get the old stem off. Don't think of cutting the old stem off. The chances of doing that without nicking the bars with the hacksaw or whatever you use are very high and any damage at that point will create a stress riser making a failure highly likely, with potentially very dangerous consequences. It only takes a few minutes to remove the tape and levers. As it is you need to move your levers up on both sides. Also a quill stem is much more in keeping with the style of your bike.

The youtube video is very detailed and he doesn't use a hacksaw. I am pretty handy with tools so don't have an issue with cutting the old stem but I take your point. I'll ponder it for a while.
Cheers
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

tonich wrote:
iandusud wrote:
tonich wrote:The problem with those ones is I would need to remove everything from the bars to get the stem to slide into position. Whereas the adaptor allows me to cut the old one, remove it and fit a new stem

The youtube video is very detailed and he doesn't use a hacksaw. I am pretty handy with tools so don't have an issue with cutting the old stem but I take your point. I'll ponder it for a while.
Cheers

If you really want to avoid re-taping your bars you could go for something like this. Again be sure to measure the diameter of your bars:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-adjus ... SwQbFfM-9D