Which Forks?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Which Forks?

Post by 531colin »

Your original (blue) forks are inch and eighth straight steerer, and so are the black steel forks.
All you need to do is swap the fork crown race over. (apart from considerations of axle to crown race seat length and offset)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it'll look a bit better once the crown race is fitted.

Just how bad is the damage to the original fork?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Ugly but the integrated headset is perfectly compatible with the steel fork, no adapter needed. There is a much bigger step on the fork crown of the original fork than the steel one, but the difference is mainly cosmetic. The only difference is that the headset is slightly less shielded from road muck being slung upwards, but the width of the crown race will still block most of this off.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Brucey wrote:it'll look a bit better once the crown race is fitted.

Just how bad is the damage to the original fork?

cheers

To be honest no obvious signs of damage but I've decided to change it.

gregoryoftours wrote:Ugly but the integrated headset is perfectly compatible with the steel fork, no adapter needed. There is a much bigger step on the fork crown of the original fork than the steel one, but the difference is mainly cosmetic. The only difference is that the headset is slightly less shielded from road muck being slung upwards, but the width of the crown race will still block most of this off.

I've been thinking maybe I could get a shim made up at an engineering shop to address the step (alloy and sprayed black). I'm only thinking of something up to 5mm as the forks are already pretty much spot on (if anything the new ones are ever so slightly smaller (similar angles though).

Thank you for your replies.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I can't really see any point in any type of shim, the crown race still needs a 30mm diameter at the base of the steerer to sit around, all you could add is a thin ring of wider diameter underneath it. That wouldn't really change the look of the fork in the frame, and do nothing useful really. The crown race itself is nearly as wide as the skirt of the lower cup, edit : I mean the head tube internal diameter, there is no lower cup, of course.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 27 Jan 2021, 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

gregoryoftours wrote:I can't really see any point in any type of shim, the crown race still needs a 30mm diameter at the base of the steerer to sit around, all you could add is a thin ring of wider diameter underneath it. That wouldn't really change the look of the fork in the frame, and do nothing useful really. The crown race itself is nearly as wide as the skirt of the lower cup.

I might do just that and see how it looks and rides. :wink:
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

gregoryoftours wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 7:55pm I can't really see any point in any type of shim, the crown race still needs a 30mm diameter at the base of the steerer to sit around, all you could add is a thin ring of wider diameter underneath it. That wouldn't really change the look of the fork in the frame and do nothing useful really. The crown race itself is nearly as wide as the skirt of the lower cup, edit: I mean the head tube internal diameter, there is no lower cup, of course.
Well, I've managed to sort out the forks on my audax bike, I purchased the Light Blue Robinson Fork from Triton cyles. In the end, I didn't bother putting any shims at the bottom of the fork.
Initially, I tried a Shimano disc brake but it wasn't very powerful so changed this for a TRP Spyre. The TRP is much more powerful and the modulation is better.
I still need to get a bolt for the front mudguard/light bracket, but otherwise, it's complete.

gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Cool, I'm glad you got it sorted. I have that fork as well, you certainly don't have to worry about it breaking! I think it looks ok on the bike too despite not being built to aesthetically match with an integrated headset.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

gregoryoftours wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:30pm Cool, I'm glad you got it sorted. I have that fork as well, you certainly don't have to worry about it breaking! I think it looks ok on the bike too despite not being built to aesthetically match with an integrated headset.
Yes, the way the gear cables are routed hides aesthetic. :D
I picked up a tyre today from Rutland cycles in Nottingham, looking around there were some bikes priced at over £10,000. This puts the total cost (less than £350) of my audax bike into perspective!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

10k is expensive - but, then again, I tend to only buy second hand.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

hjd10 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:58pm
gregoryoftours wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:30pm Cool, I'm glad you got it sorted. I have that fork as well, you certainly don't have to worry about it breaking! I think it looks ok on the bike too despite not being built to aesthetically match with an integrated headset.
I picked up a tyre today from Rutland cycles in Nottingham, looking around there were some bikes priced at over £10,000. This puts the total cost (less than £350) of my audax bike into perspective!
They've got a really nice selection in there. I do call in occasionally too. Think the most i've spent in there is £35 on a set of pedals so don't think im their best customer!
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:09am 10k is expensive - but, then again, I tend to only buy second hand.
There is some money about! 😏
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Chris56 wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:05am
hjd10 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:58pm
They've got a really nice selection in there. I do call in occasionally too. Think the most i've spent in there is £35 on a set of pedals so don't think im their best customer!
There weren’t many bikes on the bottom floor, it looked like they have been selling plenty of bikes. I wish Spa cycles was a bit closer to home!