Which Forks?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hjd10

Which Forks?

Post by hjd10 »

Hi,

I'm after some information if someone could assist. I have a 2014 Fuji Sportif 2.3 and I'm looking to replace the carbon forks as there is a scratch on them however I bought the bike 2nd hand so I don't know the history of the bike. I'm looking to purchase some metal forks, as to get my forks tested is more than they are worth :wink:
A quick look around suggests something like SPA CYCLES Steel Road Fork (non disc) with 45mm offset. Would the Elan forks (accept disc brakes) work as they have 45mm offset but are designed to accept much bigger tyre clearances?

Thoughts?
https://archive.fujibikes.com/2014/Fuji/sportif-23-c

Below are the bike details, it's a fairly compact frame.

Size M/L(56cm)
Seat Tube, Center to Top (A) 525
Seat Tube, Effective 560
Top Tube, Effective (B) 558
Head Tube (I) 190
Seat Tube Angle (F) 73.0
Head Tube Angle (E) 73.0
Chainstay (G) 415
Wheelbase (H) 992
Fork Offset 43
Bottom Bracket Drop (K) 68
Stack (D) 598
Reach (C) 375
Standover (L) 812
Stem 90
Handlebar Width 420
Crank (M) 172.5

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Howie
rogerzilla

Re: Which Forks?

Post by rogerzilla »

Bigger tyre clearance = taller fork = slacker head angle, which will give somewhat slower (less responsive) steering. On traditional geometry, it also makes the top tube annoyingly non-horizontal but that isn't an issue with compact frames.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Sratch could be anything from a light mark on the gel coat to a gouge into the carbon fibres,a picture would help to make a judgement on whether you really need to replace your forks unless,of course,you want discs.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Isn't the frame and the current forks designed for hidden headset bearings? If so, I'm not sure you can fit a fork not also designed that way, which probably means you can't use steel forks. You are probably limited to another carbon fork. Or an aluminium one, but I can't see a reason for preferring that.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Carrera bikes use a steel fork in integrated headset assembly on thier cheaper road bikes irrc.

Cheers James
Jodel

Post by Jodel »

I was recently in almost the same situation. I have a 2011 Specialized Tricross Sport which I've owned from new. It was subject to a recall (in 2012/13?) and had the carbon forks replaced with another set made from slightly heavier carbon fibre. My partner's 2011 Specialized Sirrus Comp also had the forks replaced under a similar recall - this was not doing much to build my confidence in carbon fibre.

A dog ran out in front of me last year and brought me down. I took the forks off the bike and inspected them very closely and they looked fine, but I still had a nagging doubt. I don't have of lot of faith in the durability of 'old' carbon fibre anyway, so decided to replaced them with steel forks.

As I wanted canti brake bosses, the choice was slightly limited, but I ended up going for a set of Surly Cross Check forks from Spa cycles. They were pretty much a straight swap for the Specialized carbon fork (with 44mm offset rather than 49mm). The Tricross uses a cheap FSA headset with caged bearings (ZS41/28.6 | ZS41/30) and I was able to use this with the new fork - I only had to swap over the crown race. To ride, I can't feel much difference at all, apart from having a bit more confidence that the forks won't just suddenly crumble away!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Bike specs. say FSA Orbit CE 1 1/8" integrated headset and 1 1/8" alloy fork steerer.
Now I'm not into integrated headsets, and I don't know how many "standards" there are, but a glance at this table shows that there are an awful lot of ways to make different stuff fit.....https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/Hope-Lower-Headset-Compatibility-Chart.pdf
Other makes (and prices) are available.
If you want to keep your existing dual pivot caliper (rim) brake then the most obvious steel Spa fork is the steel fork for the Spa Audax; 45mm offset and it will be about the same length as the existing fork.
You could probably use a Surly Cross Check fork and a cantilever or mini Vee brake, 44mm offset.
The steel Elan fork is 45mm offset but disc only, so you would need a new wheel (or hub + rebuild).
The Elan fork will be longer, but your 73 degree head and 45mm offset gives very quick steering (as used in massed-start road races).
20mm longer fork will give one degree less steep head angle (in round terms) and much calmer steering. (with 45mm offset)
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

531colin wrote:Bike specs. say FSA Orbit CE 1 1/8" integrated headset and 1 1/8" alloy fork steerer.
Now I'm not into integrated headsets, and I don't know how many "standards" there are, but a glance at this table shows that there are an awful lot of ways to make different stuff fit.....https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/Hope-Lower-Headset-Compatibility-Chart.pdf
If you want to keep your existing dual pivot caliper (rim) brake then the most obvious steel Spa fork is the steel fork for the Spa Audax; 45mm offset and it will be about the same length as the existing fork.
You could probably use a Surly Cross Check fork and a cantilever or mini Vee brake, 44mm offset.
The steel Elan fork is 45mm offset but disc only, so you would need a new wheel (or hub + rebuild).
The Elan fork will be longer, but your 73 degree head and 45mm offset gives very quick steering (as used in massed-start road races).
20mm longer fork will give one degree less steep head angle (in round terms) and much calmer steering. (with 45mm offset)

Great info thank you. I have changed the wheels already and have a disc dyno hub with a rim that be used with both brakes if needs be.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

hjd10 wrote:
531colin wrote:Bike specs. say FSA Orbit CE 1 1/8" integrated headset and 1 1/8" alloy fork steerer.

Great info thank you. I have changed the wheels already and have a disc dyno hub with a rim that be used with both brakes.

Jodel, similar issue to me then. I have lost confidence, having read and watched quite a bit about Carbon forks, I'm +16 Stone and like to go fast downhill. Recently I've found myself going slower downhill, as I'm thinking about what can go wrong. Whilst this might be unfounded, it isn't going to change I don't think until I change the forks. :( A friend at work has two different makes of bike, both of which have had recalls due to fork issues. :shock:

Cyclop, the scratch isn't too bad however I've no way to tell if it was a scratch that occurred in the garage 'previous owner' or a minor crash. I've read that it can cost about £90 to get the forks NDT'd and a new fork isn't much more than that anyway (well for the spec I'm after). If I'm going to replace the forks I'd rather go down the disc brake route (albeit mechanical).
Jodel

Post by Jodel »

hjd10, if you're anything like me then the thought of fork failure will gnaw away at your confidence. I had nearly a year off following my low speed encounter with a dog and I would rather stay upright. I'm no spring chicken and I now know that it takes a lot longer to heal when you are a bit older. I'm only about 11 stone, but I sure don't bounce as well as I used to when I was younger.

The Surly forks I went for are slightly heavier than the original carbon fibre ones, but riding the bike I can't tell the difference. If there is any variation in shock absorption or ride quality, it's too subtle for me to identify.

The Spa steel fork sounds like a good fit for you (and the bike) and I'm sure you'll feel happier riding with new forks.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Jodel wrote:hjd10, if you're anything like me then the thought of fork failure will gnaw away at your confidence. I had nearly a year off following my low speed encounter with a dog and I would rather stay upright. I'm no spring chicken and I now know that it takes a lot longer to heal when you are a bit older. I'm only about 11 stone, but I sure don't bounce as well as I used to when I was younger.

The Surly forks I went for are slightly heavier than the original carbon fibre ones, but riding the bike I can't tell the difference. If there is any variation in shock absorption or ride quality, it's too subtle for me to identify.

The Spa steel fork sounds like a good fit for you (and the bike) and I'm sure you'll feel happier riding with new forks.

I think you are right.
For interest this guy explains some of the fork issues.
https://youtu.be/cXkrlhRDu78
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Just idly looking at some numbers.....
Spa's carbon fork for the Audax (dual pivot rim brakes) is 375mm axle/crown race seat
Spa's Elan steel fork is 405mm
Difference of 30mm equates to about a degree and a half slacker head angle. ...a noticeable change.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

pwa wrote:Isn't the frame and the current forks designed for hidden headset bearings? If so, I'm not sure you can fit a fork not also designed that way, which probably means you can't use steel forks. You are probably limited to another carbon fork. Or an aluminum one, but I can't see a reason for preferring that.

Hi,

I'm after some information. I have an option to use these forks (Light Blue Robinson fork), however as pwa mentioned the integrated headset issue might be a major problem.
Does anyone know if it is possible to make this work? 531colin had a link to Hope headsets but I'm not sure who to work this out.

Note the forks are new and therefore there isn't a bottom mount fitted, the forks are not fastened in they are loose.

Thanks very much.

Howie
Last edited by hjd10 on 23 Jan 2021, 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Bloody hell. That looks awful.
No idea what your budget is but surely you can find something better.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

mattsccm wrote:Bloody hell. That looks awful.
No idea what your budget is but surely you can find something better.

The budget is not a lot. I know hence I'm trying to see if there is any kind of adapter. :evil:

Where is Brucey? :D