Path/GPX animation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ConRAD

Path/GPX animation

Post by ConRAD »

I'm looking for a simple software capable of making the animated rendering of a certain gpx file.
In the past I've been using with satisfaction an online program called "ANIMAPS" freely available on http://www.animaps.com, unfortunately this one seems to be not anymore available.
Afaik another one is RELIVE but what I understand is that it requires a "full" gpx file complete with all possible fields such as coordinates, elevation, time stamps etc.
Anyone knows what can be used to convert a simple basecamp generated gpx file and get as a result a nicelooking animated mp4 file?
Jdsk

Re: Path/GPX animation

Post by Jdsk »

Any specific platform?

GPX Animator seems to be available on several and is open source and free to use:
https://gpx-animator.app

"Simple" is relative... : - )

Example of output:

[youtube]4ZM9lI1GppA[/youtube]

I haven't used it.

Jonathan
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Jdsk wrote:... GPX Animator seems to be available on several and is open source and free to use ...

I think that I've already tried it .... without success unfortunately!!!
What I want is to INPUT a simple GPX and get a simple (animated) MP4.
Thank you however.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Norman H wrote:Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

NO, as I said above RELIVE seems to require a "full" gpx file complete with all possible fields such as coordinates, elevation, time stamps etc., in other words it needs a "real" gpx file recorded with eg your smartphone.
I'm looking for something working with a file generated with whatsoever track mapping SW such as basecamp/ridewithgps/openrunner etc.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Sorry, I should have read to the end of your post.

Is this for your own personal satisfaction or are you hoping to share the results on line?

Mapping software packages such as Memory Map allow 3D viewing of maps, and also 3D Fly-throughs of routes and tracks.

In theory you can use your own scanned maps in Memory Map provided they are suitably geo-referenced . If you wanted the 3D function to work you would also need elevation data for the area of your map, and in a suitable form for MM. Its possible that you could share screenshots of the results with others but I can't see a way of sharing the animations
sjs

Post by sjs »

Jdsk wrote:Any specific platform?

GPX Animator seems to be available on several and is open source and free to use:
https://gpx-animator.app

"Simple" is relative... : - )

Example of output:

[youtube]4ZM9lI1GppA[/youtube]

I haven't used it.

Jonathan

Thanks for that. Just tried it (Ubuntu on laptop) and it seems fun and not too tricky to use. Wide choice of maps too, though not sure how many of them are useful.
sjs

Post by sjs »

I have used https://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/ which will "replay" several gpx files on a map. Not as mp4, just in a browser. A bit buggy though. Or perhaps I just hadn't quite got the hang of it.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

sjs wrote:I have used https://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/ which will "replay" several gpx files on a map. Not as mp4, just in a browser. A bit buggy though. Or perhaps I just hadn't quite got the hang of it.

... but that's just a static viewer ... what I'd like is a dynamic rendering picture ... ie my position dynamically moving on a map.
RELIVE DOES IT but as I said above you must feed it with a "real" track recording and not just with an "artificial" generated gpx file (like the one that you can gety from basecamp/ridewithgps/openrunner/etc.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ConRAD wrote:
sjs wrote:I have used https://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/ which will "replay" several gpx files on a map. Not as mp4, just in a browser. A bit buggy though. Or perhaps I just hadn't quite got the hang of it.

... but that's just a static viewer ... what I'd like is a dynamic rendering picture ... ie my position dynamically moving on a map.
RELIVE DOES IT but as I said above you must feed it with a "real" track recording and not just with an "artificial" generated gpx file (like the one that you can gety from basecamp/ridewithgps/openrunner/etc.

It should be a pretty straightforward bit of programming to doctor/add-in time entries to a route .gpx. I knocked up a program to combine and compress gpx's to make them smaller/faster (i.e. combine 2 months of tracks into single gpx and remove all the time entries, altitude entries, etc. not needed for static track over map but static map display over internet far faster with single smaller file - the program was trivial and took no time to write).

Ian
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Starting from a whatsoever gpx file I'd like to get something like that, youtube or mp4 it doesn't matter.

[youtube]HaAq2uivfS8[/youtube]
sjs

Post by sjs »

ConRAD wrote:

No it will show tracks moving on the map, for instance to "race" one track against another. But for that it needs time info so that it can determine how to move.

gpx files are straightforward text files. As already suggested it would be fairly easy to put artificial time stamps in them.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

sjs wrote:... no it will show tracks moving on the map, for instance to "race" one track against another. But for that it needs time info so that it can determine how to move. gpx files are straightforward text files. As already suggested it would be fairly easy to put artificial time stamps in them.

Thank you very much, I definitely appreciate it ... but it's to complicate for me :|
What I'd dream to have is a straightforward way to get, starting from a whatsoever gpx file, a youtube or mp4 file, it doesn't matter, SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

[youtube]HaAq2uivfS8[/youtube]
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

sjs wrote:... gpx files are straightforward text files. As already suggested it would be fairly easy to put artificial time stamps in them.

... well, if you have to "animate" a 1000 km track with a resolution of ONE POINT every 1000 m ... this makes something like ONE THOUSAND lines to edit!! ... not to bad :?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ConRAD wrote:
sjs wrote:... gpx files are straightforward text files. As already suggested it would be fairly easy to put artificial time stamps in them.

... well, if you have to "animate" a 1000 km track with a resolution of ONE POINT every 1000 m ... this makes something like ONE THOUSAND lines to edit!! ... not to bad :?

It's a very easy file to write a trivial program to do the "additions" automatically - reading in a text file looking for certain entries. each "point" starts with a "<trkpt" and ends with a </trkpt>

e.g. in your route file you'll have loads of entries a bit like

Code: Select all

<trkpt lat="54.47420487686992" lon="1.2724703545351696">
      </trkpt>

So the program reads in lines and if they are not </trkpt> then just write them out and if they are </trkpt write out ann <ele> line and a <time> line then the </trkpt> so it becomes

Code: Select all

<trkpt lat="54.47420487686992" lon="1.2724703545351696">
             <ele>40</ele>
              <time>2020-04-01T12:14:54.001Z</time>
      </trkpt>

(You'd need to check how the lines are arranged on your input file but not difficult to find a line containing </trkpt> and replace the </trkpt> with <ele>40</ele><time>2020-04-01T12:14:54.001Z</time></trkpt>, incrementing the time each time you write out a point.

Find somebody learning coding and ask them to help as it's a fairly straightforward exercise for them.

Ian