Propane space heaters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nigel

Re: Propane space heaters

Postby Nigel » 28 Dec 2020, 10:57am

As others have said, reduce the space you're trying to heat, and stop trying to heat the high roof space.

Until I moved house, I used visit a farm shop in an ancient high timber barn. It was freezing cold in winter. To help the staff, they built a freestanding back wall and internal roof over the serving area, and put the heaters under that area.
I'd suggest something similar in your garage - panel a roof section above your working space, and arrange walls (fabric or plastic sheet is better than nothing) to hang down around work space. Insulate and raise the floor of the working space if you can (sheet of shuttering board or chip floor panels, or sheets of insulation with board over it).
Then use the IR heaters only for that small space. Plus wearing thick clothes, keeping wrists and feet warm.

Combustion heaters have the issues others have mentioned - toxic fumes and water vapour. The fumes and vapour can be vented with an appropriate flue. Woodburners are not the most brilliant for local atmosphere (particulates), and in some urban areas they are meant to be properly approved ones (to reduce the emissions), not just any cheapo metal box with a pipe out the top. Done well, a woodburner might be a good option if expecting to be in the workshop for a couple of hours or more at a time on a very regular basis. For shorter time periods, or only once a week, I'd suggest a good IR electric heater will be simpler and cheaper overall.

I use a 1kw free standing IR heater in my workshop; a 10*8 room off the back of the garage. Its under our house, so not as cold as fully free-standing, but it has no other heat source, and gets no solar gain.

- Nigel

Lookrider

Postby Lookrider » 28 Dec 2020, 11:12am

Yes it seems that you will agree that you will never warm the garage up enough to be comfortable ...there simply not built to get warm
As well as insulating the cold floor in any manner ..you can also kind if insulate the cold brick walls by lining them with slatwall sheets
These are the panels you see in shops
I lined my garage with them
Nit only will it help with some insulation they are white to reflect some heat and light and are also much easier on the eye as the slots are there for hooks etc doing away with drill holes everywhere
Thetes shops being refirbed or closed everywhere ..ask around and you will soon have enough sheets of these fir your garage and it will soon look like a real workshop
I no longer call it my garage ..its called the bike shop
Good luck anyways

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Dec 2020, 11:35am

IME propane and diesel always end up with headache and pleased to turn them off. They burn up your Oxygen.
When I first built my shed, it is 60 cubic metres , I fitted a wood stove. It becomes too much trouble to light it if you’re only going to be in there an hour or less.
I ended up removing it and putting the space used to better use. It is a fairly well insulated building and now have a convector heater on a wall. The place feels warm enough after around 15 minutes and if coming in from outside it feels positively cosy.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

Ride-sleep-repeat

Postby Ride-sleep-repeat » 28 Dec 2020, 11:36am

Brucey wrote:
My suggestion is that since bikes don't require a huge space for working on, that you consider making a small partitioned space within the garage, and work within that. The partitioning can be as simple/temporary as some cheap tarpaulins hung off a simple wooden framework. Heating that smaller space (eg using the infra-red heaters you have already) ought to be much, much easier.

A friend of mine has done just that.He split his garage length in two 75/25.He fixed insulated plaster boards to the walls and rubber matting to the floor in the 75% section.It requires only one halogen wall heater and he can work in a T shirt all year.He's even put a door onto his house hallway for easy access to the work area.He's used Fire doors to adhere to regs and both doors he's fitted have a 5-lever mortice lock for security.
The 25% section is where all his tools are stored at the front of the garage.He's left the roller-door so it looks exactly the same from the outside and for ease of access when he rides.It really is a great little setup he's made for himself.He also uses it as his Turbo room.

Only works if you don't use your garage for your car though!

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 28 Dec 2020, 1:00pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe there is space in the house proper to do the work

It is called the kitchen. Access to hot water, food, workbench and dishw- I mean bike parts cleaner :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Dec 2020, 1:55pm

This is our gas heater.
Excellent in the shed or the house.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-2KW-CALOR- ... Swjq9bpLtm
Mick F. Cornwall

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 28 Dec 2020, 2:38pm

If your wanting a workshop heater there is one going on UK workshop ATM.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/te ... st-1418563

A cheap woodburner for £200 would do. We have an Ottowa 12kw which heats up our large lounge a treat! Smaller ones are just as good.

Insulating and a oil filled radiator would be the best solution or bring the bike inside as I will do tonight once the Mrs starts work!

Cheers James

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 28 Dec 2020, 5:20pm

One thing nobody has mentioned so far is running cost.
As far as I know (things may have changed) bottled gas is as expensive as electricity (or more so).

In which case electric heating all the way.
No extra condensation, no CO or CO2.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Dec 2020, 6:02pm

LittleGreyCat wrote:One thing nobody has mentioned so far is running cost.
As far as I know (things may have changed) bottled gas is as expensive as electricity ................
Not sure about that.
I'd bow to some knowledge and up to date info.

However, the good thing about a portable gas heater - sorry, two things that are good - they are very portable on casters - and they chuck out one heck of a lot of heat.
Electricity cannot even come close to those facts.

Plus, they are pay-as-you-go, which suits many people, as the heater is only needed for occasional portable heat.
Mick F. Cornwall

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 28 Dec 2020, 6:41pm

think it depends what size bottle you use, I think I paid about £28 for a 13kg refil (3 or 4 years ago) that would work out about 15.3p per kwh. I think at the same time I was paying about 14p per kwh for electric. So at that time propane was a touch more expensive than electric.

pros - my gas heater delivered about 11 kwh opposed to my electric heater that delivers 2
cons - gas heater stinks and gave me a head ache.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 28 Dec 2020, 8:47pm

An important thing to remember is you shouldn’t have a propane bottle indoors.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 29 Dec 2020, 12:30am

I used some left-over T&G loft boards on part of the concrete floor, and a couple of bits if old carpet offcuts. A partition across the garage (2x2 plus more loft boards/chipboard) also provided hanging space - this went across half the width or so of the garage. Plus warm clothing! No heating at all but on sunny days it was OK, it warmed up nicely inside. Non-sunny days? - most bike maintenance can wait! (Except for cleaning wet salt off)

Nowadays I get warm by pedalling away on the turbo trainer for a while!!!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Dec 2020, 12:52am

Paulatic wrote:An important thing to remember is you shouldn’t have a propane bottle indoors.

this one would be OK...?... :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 29 Dec 2020, 1:24am

Hi,
Bonefishblues wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Just get a quilted boiler suit, you'll be as warm as toast!

Is probably the right, low-tech answer :)

OTOH a little wood-fired stove could be had for not much money, and make a nice little project in itself :wink:

Fleecey jogging bottoms, tuck socks in trousers, a boiler suit, fleece hat, fleece top, and a windproof or insulated jacket, carpet on the floor, thin work disposable gloves..20 grams a pair dipped woven backs.
That's what I would wear outside working on car or bike when the temp drops below 5 C.
A tent or small hut inside garage sounds good.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 29 Dec 2020, 10:43am

Pebble wrote:think it depends what size bottle you use, I think I paid about £28 for a 13kg refil (3 or 4 years ago) that would work out about 15.3p per kwh. I think at the same time I was paying about 14p per kwh for electric. So at that time propane was a touch more expensive than electric.

pros - my gas heater delivered about 11 kwh opposed to my electric heater that delivers 2
cons - gas heater stinks and gave me a head ache.

I think that's 11 kW rather than "kwh"... heat output rather than any measure of energy eg stored in a bottle?

Jonathan