Propane space heaters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Re: Propane space heaters

Postby alexnharvey » 31 Dec 2020, 4:34pm

Does anyone find the interlocking foam tiles make a useful addition to a cold garage in terms of warmth as well as foot comfort?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 31 Dec 2020, 4:37pm

They're very popular in the car world. Limiting factor there is usually the point loading for jacks, stands etc. Enormous range of prices.

I use old carpet, but NB fire risk especially as it accumulates hydrocarbons.

Jonathan

Nigel

Postby Nigel » 31 Dec 2020, 5:47pm

Mick F wrote:Just lit the woodburner in the livingroom. Windows all closed, and hall door too. Nice and cosy, or it will be soon.
If we were to get home late in the evening from being away all day, we wouldn't bother lighting the fire, but wheel the gas heater into the livingroom and ignite it. Chucks out a tremendous amount of heat - and instantly too - and maybe cheaper to run than me spending time with an expensive chainsaw cutting down trees. :lol:

The woodburner (should) have an exhaust going up a flue/chimney, not exhausting into the room. The free-standing gas heater is exhausting into the room. If you're happy with the heat, that's fine. BUT, for your own safety, if you've not got one, fit a CO monitor in any room where there is a woodburner, or where the portable gas heater may be used.

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 31 Dec 2020, 6:37pm

Nigel wrote:
Mick F wrote:Just lit the woodburner in the livingroom. Windows all closed, and hall door too. Nice and cosy, or it will be soon.
If we were to get home late in the evening from being away all day, we wouldn't bother lighting the fire, but wheel the gas heater into the livingroom and ignite it. Chucks out a tremendous amount of heat - and instantly too - and maybe cheaper to run than me spending time with an expensive chainsaw cutting down trees. :lol:

The woodburner (should) have an exhaust going up a flue/chimney, not exhausting into the room.

That's correct.
The appliance and the installation should be HETAS compliant. i.e safe and properly installed. I fell foul of this when I did my own Calor Gas cylinder conversion. Ended up having to buy a stove and have it professionally installed.

BTW. You don't need to chop down trees (unless it's your job anyway). I quick tour of any industrial estate; ask the question and you will soon have more broken pallets than you can shake a stick at and the businesses will love you for it. Saves them having to dispose of them :)

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 31 Dec 2020, 7:17pm

are wood burning stoves (even with chimneys) any more healthy ?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tudy-finds

we have an open wood fire - I'm amazed I'm still here!

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 31 Dec 2020, 8:58pm

Survey of 19 stoves is quite a small sample, I think.

oneten

Postby oneten » 31 Dec 2020, 10:06pm

Water produced by combustion
As above: where's it going to go? Fully ducted exhaust systems are available but of course increase the cost.

Add to that the ice that forms on the propane bottle - enough to make you feel even colder by looking at it!

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 31 Dec 2020, 11:10pm

Any insulation or partitioning will help. When I worked in engineering we had duckboard to stand on and I was thinking old pallets would be great to get you off the ground. Dropped screws would easily recovered as th pallet could lifted or old carpet laid.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 31 Dec 2020, 11:30pm

roberts8 wrote:Any insulation or partitioning will help. When I worked in engineering we had duckboard to stand on and I was thinking old pallets would be great to get you off the ground. Dropped screws would easily recovered as th pallet could lifted or old carpet laid.

Magnet on a stick - it's the low-tech way (or Duck Tape on the top section of a fishing rod, as I saw at a Fishing Lodge one time) :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Dec 2020, 11:35pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
roberts8 wrote:Any insulation or partitioning will help. When I worked in engineering we had duckboard to stand on and I was thinking old pallets would be great to get you off the ground. Dropped screws would easily recovered as th pallet could lifted or old carpet laid.

Magnet on a stick - it's the low-tech way (or Duck Tape on the top section of a fishing rod, as I saw at a Fishing Lodge one time) :D

I've tried both and they don't provide any kind of insulation I could detect.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 31 Dec 2020, 11:38pm

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

It helps if they are used inside the Tropics :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Dec 2020, 11:41pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Magnet on a stick - it's the low-tech way (or Duck Tape on the top section of a fishing rod, as I saw at a Fishing Lodge one time) :D

It's better if they work inside the OP's garage.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 31 Dec 2020, 11:46pm

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've tried both and they don't provide any kind of insulation I could detect.

Ah! Can I recommend some portable heaters? That's make it feel properly Tropical :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Dec 2020, 11:47pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:It helps if they are used inside the Tropics :D

Ah! Can I recommend some portable heaters? That's make it feel properly Tropical :D

I like your Lilt.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Jan 2021, 9:06am

jimlews wrote:BTW. You don't need to chop down trees (unless it's your job anyway). I quick tour of any industrial estate; ask the question and you will soon have more broken pallets than you can shake a stick at and the businesses will love you for it. Saves them having to dispose of them :)
Like these?
PICT0003.JPG
Pete's Wood (2).JPG
This second one was from some years ago. Note the TV aerial! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall