New steel Fork ,wheel sits off center ,what tolerance acceptable?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Re: New steel Fork ,wheel sits off center ,what tolerance acceptable?

Postby fastpedaller » 7 Jan 2021, 9:59pm

jimneycricket wrote:Thanks for the posts, popped off an email to the supplier to see what they think and said they would look into it but it sounds within tolerance. I can realign it by moving axle down a bit in open non threaded dropout and will look into building up the dropout with some jbweld maybe. This is literally the first time I have ever owned a bike/bike frame brand new as the first person to ride it , everything else I have is second or third hand and so I was not so sure what my expectations should be around alignment if I was being too perfectionist or if I should be trying to get it replaced.

Out of curiosity - how much bigger is the dropout non-threaded hole compared with the through bolt? (I may have incorrect term there, as I've never seen one :oops: )

Valbrona

Re: New steel Fork ,wheel sits off center ,what tolerance acceptable?

Postby Valbrona » 7 Jan 2021, 10:21pm

jimneycricket wrote:Thanks for the posts, popped off an email to the supplier to see what they think and said they would look into it but it sounds within tolerance. I can realign it by moving axle down a bit in open non threaded dropout and will look into building up the dropout with some jbweld maybe. This is literally the first time I have ever owned a bike/bike frame brand new as the first person to ride it , everything else I have is second or third hand and so I was not so sure what my expectations should be around alignment if I was being too perfectionist or if I should be trying to get it replaced.

Bought a Cannondale Synapse aluminium version and it was way out both front and rear … right pig's ear. Bought exact same bike again, but S/H, and both f and r were spot on.
I should coco.