New Campag 13 speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

New Campag 13 speed

Postby fastpedaller » 4 Jan 2021, 11:23am

I've just had a flyer email from CRC, telling me about the new Campag 1x13 setup (apologies if old news) ..... Am I alone in thinking a 9T sprocket (or even a 10) is insanity?

peetee

Re: New Campag 13 speed

Postby peetee » 4 Jan 2021, 11:32am

Perhaps the pro cyclists are finding that disc brakes are giving them the opportunity to ride faster and they want gears to match? If that’s the word on the street Campagnolo would be unlikely to ignore it. Their share of the Pro team market has been slim for years.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 4 Jan 2021, 11:48am

IMHO it is 'me too'-ism of the worst kind. I have no idea what they are thinking of, exactly; do bike part manufacturers suffer from FoMO?.... The only real benefit of a 1x system might be that it is slightly lighter; pointless in a world where they are banging into the UCI weight limit anyway. In every other respect a 1x system is inferior to a 2x setup, 99.something percent of the time. Worse gear ratios, less efficient, more likely to go wrong and/or wear out prematurely. A single pro team was equipped with a 1x setup a couple of years ago, and they hated it so much that they came out and said so, even though their sponsors had presumably read them the riot act beforehand.

I dunno if Campag expect pro cyclists to use it willingly, but that probably doesn't really matter; they are presumably hoping that they sell loads to Californian dentists and the like, who don't know any better and find two levers a bit complicated or something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hamster

Postby hamster » 4 Jan 2021, 11:49am

peetee wrote:Perhaps the pro cyclists are finding that disc brakes are giving them the opportunity to ride faster and they want gears to match? If that’s the word on the street Campagnolo would be unlikely to ignore it. Their share of the Pro team market has been slim for years.

And you think that top pro teams buy their kit? :lol:
Hint: sponsorship.

Lower-rank teams certainly have to - go to the average Kermesse in Belgium and you will see riders using bikes equipped with Shimano 105.

As the groupset is Ekar, a gravel groupset, this has nothing to do with pro racing and everything to do with numbers marketing.
Last edited by hamster on 4 Jan 2021, 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 4 Jan 2021, 11:51am

Not only 9T or 10T but even 1x13 speed.
Thinner chain, thinner sprockets (or more dishing) narrower spacing? It's got to be even more critical in setting up.
Definite for wearing out quicker and probably a lot more expensive than say a 2x9 groupset.
It says it offers the same ratios as 2x but uses dinner plate size large sprockets. The weight of a 42T sprocket can easily be counteracted by a using a smaller second chainring.
Current pricing says £226 for a cassette, £297 for crankset, £210 derailleur and £38 for a chain.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... h%20option.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 4 Jan 2021, 11:53am

peetee wrote:Perhaps the pro cyclists are finding that disc brakes are giving them the opportunity to ride faster and they want gears to match? If that’s the word on the street Campagnolo would be unlikely to ignore it. Their share of the Pro team market has been slim for years.

Brakes don't make anyone go faster - only slower :wink:

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jan 2021, 11:54am

Are Californian dentists attracted by fewer teeth?

Re the 9 tooth sprocket, IIRC that was available years ago on a Moulton

hamster

Postby hamster » 4 Jan 2021, 11:56am

Also on the Capreo folding bike setup from Shimano

peetee

Postby peetee » 4 Jan 2021, 12:00pm

hamster wrote:

And you think that top pro teams buy their kit? :lol:
Hint: sponsorship.

Lower-rank teams certainly have to - go to the average Kermesse in Belgium and you will see riders using bikes equipped with Shimano 105.

As the groupset is Ekar, a gravel groupset, this has nothing to do with pro racing and everything to do with numbers marketing.

Ah, yes. Missed the little detail that it was 1x.
After all this time you think I would have learned not to comment before I’ve downed my second cuppa. :oops:
Last edited by peetee on 4 Jan 2021, 12:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 4 Jan 2021, 12:02pm

thirdcrank wrote:Are Californian dentists attracted by fewer teeth?...

:lol:

jobs for the boys...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mig

Postby mig » 4 Jan 2021, 1:27pm

this is exactly what i need for my commuter bike!

how much is it? is there a special, accompanying, 13 'speed' tyre to go with it? :wink: :lol:

scottg

Postby scottg » 4 Jan 2021, 1:39pm

By going to 1x you save the price of a front mech, cable and housing and a complicated
front shifter.
Campy finally admitting that front indexing is a bad idea ?
1x is popular for casual dirt/gravel where speed is not of the essence.
Radavist has lots of pics of 1x bikes.

https://theradavist.com/2020/12/readers ... y-rambler/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

bgnukem

Postby bgnukem » 4 Jan 2021, 1:43pm

So thinner sprockets, chain, chainrings, lousy chainline, inefficient small sprockets, fussy indexing, more wheel dish, everything wearing out faster - aren't these 'innovations' wonderful?

Surely it's not just about selling more disposable garbage components....... :roll:

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 4 Jan 2021, 1:50pm

scottg wrote:Campy finally admitting that front indexing is a bad idea ?
None of my Campag front are indexed. Ranging from 1992 Record through various other Record, Veloce and Centaur up to 2010. All have multiple position ratchets that allow the rider to "ease" the chain down to a small ring for example. Shimano, I think, is "click and hope it works".

However, I agree, I have never seen the sense in indexing a front changer since the position may need to be adjusted according to which sprocket is in use.

9 tooth sprockets - I remember them on Moulton. I also remember that those who understood the mathematics of the mechanics of chain wrap (not me) all said it was greatly inefficient. At the time, even 13 teeth was regarded as the very edge of what was sensible.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Jan 2021, 1:52pm

fastpedaller wrote:Am I alone in thinking a 9T sprocket (or even a 10) is insanity?
11t is insanity too.

I have 11t on my Moulton.
On the previous cassette, I changed it three times. Rest of the cassette was ok.
I bought four 11t cogs as soon as I realised that it was wearing terribly. Good job Shimano 11t are cheap and I still have a spare. When that one wears, I'll be buying another four.
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shi ... 31?lang=en

............... goodness knows what spare 9t or 10t cogs cost from Campag.

The 10sp Campag cassette I have on Mercian is 12t smallest and when I enquired as to the cost of a single new 12t, it was cheaper to buy a whole new 12-30 cassette.
Terrible waste of resources.
Mick F. Cornwall