Noisy freewheel

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Noisy freewheel

Post by Brucey »

ah, OK. There are lots of freewheels out there and they all look about the same from some angles!

However provided you can be bothered, all can be fettled. It is just that is probably isn't usually adjudged 'worth it'; in the case of most folk and most freewheels. Eg if the sprockets are at all worn, and you can't replace them, you are almost certainly wasting your time. Trying can be educational though!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RobC

Post by RobC »

Well I'll remove it again and soak it in some thick engine oil perhaps? And see how we go. Don't usually like to throw stuff out unnecessarily, even if it's cheap. There's probably only 500-1,000 miles left in these rims anyway.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

I think immersing it and rotating the bearing is a possible way to purge out any crud.

I did the same thing with a recent Deore XT freehub which kept skipping and it seemed to get some of the crud out - normal flushing was not possible as it was the type without a removable rear seal (that's progress!?). I used some car differential oil (EP 75W/80 I think) I had around, being thicker it might quieten down your freewheel bearings?
RobC

Post by RobC »

@brucey here’s the old one now removed after my sunrace replacement arrived (11g heavier, the horror)

This old one’ll be going in the metal recycling unless you’d like it, as you said you possibly might..?

919AB397-A499-4B7D-A640-BF1BD9B60110.jpeg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Hi Rob, that is a very kind offer; I personally don't need it for spares or anything but if you and /or others are curious and want to know what lurks within this freewheel I will strip it and this will add to the collective pool of knowledge.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~