Reynolds decal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17

Reynolds decal

Post by robert17 »

People, the lovely Spa kindly sent the missing Reynolds decal missing from my frameset. I'm just a bit paranoid that I'm going to do something stupid and mess it up. It's on a green piece of card backing and you can see an impression around the image. However, I cannot break it at this line, anywhere around it. Do I just stick the whole thing on? Thank you.
Attachments
16101380199811051727807056629342.jpg
igauk

Re: Reynolds decal

Post by igauk »

The one I had was vinly and the backing split vertically where the red line is. Still made an buttock of it. Is yours a water slide transfer perhaps?
Moulton TSR 30
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

I would ask Spa tbh, they will not mind and are always helpful in my experience :)
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Many thanks. I'll give them a bell.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

When I bought my Spa in 2014, I asked that the transfers were not fitted (but didn't think about the Reynolds tube transfer) - So it arrived with no Spa transfers, and no 'tube' transfer. Fair enough, It was my fault. I put a nice gold Regina chains transfer in place instead. :wink:
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Spoken to Spa, turns out you apply the whole sticker then leave for twenty minutes. When you peel off, the decal remained. Worked pretty well, just needed to give a further press down. In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.
PH

Post by PH »

robert17 wrote:In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

Depending on the powder coating process, that probably isn't an option.
Glad it turned out OK, I saw your question yesterday and was trying to remember how I'd applied one, but it was several years ago...
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

robert17 wrote:Spoken to Spa, turns out you apply the whole sticker then leave for twenty minutes. When you peel off, the decal remained. Worked pretty well, just needed to give a further press down. In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

Reynolds decals are dual use, either apply to finished frame or before lacquering.
I should coco.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

PH wrote:
robert17 wrote:In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

Glad it turned out OK, I saw your question yesterday and was trying to remember how I'd applied one, but it was several years ago...

As I understand it, the frameset is not powder coated. It is painted by an electric solution method with a coat or two of lacquer after.
PH

Post by PH »

robert17 wrote:
PH wrote:

As I understand it, the frameset is not powder coated. It is painted by an electric solution method with a coat or two of lacquer after.

If you mean the ED coating, I think you've misunderstood, that's like a primer before the paint or powder coat.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Fair enough. Thanks.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I replied earlier, but for some reason it didn't work. Anyway....
Clear lacquer can be brush painted onto the transfer (just overlapping onto frame) and will be perfect with no brush marks.
I did this over the Regina transfer I put on my Spa. I used Winsor & Newton artist varnish (from art shop). It is absolutely clear (no amber tint) and a very long drying time (hence no brush marks), Nit cheap though, but a small bottle is available (probably enough to varnish a whole frame :lol: )