Reynolds decal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17
Posts: 307
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 1:41pm
Location: Worcs

Reynolds decal

Postby robert17 » 8 Jan 2021, 8:37pm

People, the lovely Spa kindly sent the missing Reynolds decal missing from my frameset. I'm just a bit paranoid that I'm going to do something stupid and mess it up. It's on a green piece of card backing and you can see an impression around the image. However, I cannot break it at this line, anywhere around it. Do I just stick the whole thing on? Thank you.
Image Attachments
16101380199811051727807056629342.jpg

igauk
Posts: 82
Joined: 8 Nov 2016, 2:12am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby igauk » 8 Jan 2021, 10:38pm

The one I had was vinly and the backing split vertically where the red line is. Still made an buttock of it. Is yours a water slide transfer perhaps?
Moulton TSR 30

GranvilleThomas
Posts: 125
Joined: 1 Apr 2015, 9:58am
Location: Caerphilly

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby GranvilleThomas » 9 Jan 2021, 6:38am

I would ask Spa tbh, they will not mind and are always helpful in my experience :)

robert17
Posts: 307
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 1:41pm
Location: Worcs

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby robert17 » 9 Jan 2021, 7:53am

Many thanks. I'll give them a bell.

fastpedaller
Posts: 2732
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby fastpedaller » 9 Jan 2021, 9:58am

When I bought my Spa in 2014, I asked that the transfers were not fitted (but didn't think about the Reynolds tube transfer) - So it arrived with no Spa transfers, and no 'tube' transfer. Fair enough, It was my fault. I put a nice gold Regina chains transfer in place instead. :wink:

robert17
Posts: 307
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 1:41pm
Location: Worcs

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby robert17 » 9 Jan 2021, 2:46pm

Spoken to Spa, turns out you apply the whole sticker then leave for twenty minutes. When you peel off, the decal remained. Worked pretty well, just needed to give a further press down. In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby PH » 9 Jan 2021, 3:26pm

robert17 wrote:In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

Depending on the powder coating process, that probably isn't an option.
Glad it turned out OK, I saw your question yesterday and was trying to remember how I'd applied one, but it was several years ago...

Valbrona
Posts: 2394
Joined: 7 Feb 2011, 4:49pm

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby Valbrona » 9 Jan 2021, 4:21pm

robert17 wrote:Spoken to Spa, turns out you apply the whole sticker then leave for twenty minutes. When you peel off, the decal remained. Worked pretty well, just needed to give a further press down. In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.


Reynolds decals are dual use, either apply to finished frame or before lacquering.
I should coco.

robert17
Posts: 307
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 1:41pm
Location: Worcs

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby robert17 » 9 Jan 2021, 5:35pm

PH wrote:
robert17 wrote:In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

Depending on the powder coating process, that probably isn't an option.
Glad it turned out OK, I saw your question yesterday and was trying to remember how I'd applied one, but it was several years ago...

As I understand it, the frameset is not powder coated. It is painted by an electric solution method with a coat or two of lacquer after.

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby PH » 9 Jan 2021, 6:00pm

robert17 wrote:
PH wrote:
robert17 wrote:In some ways, I think it would have been better applied before the final lacquer at the paintshop.

Depending on the powder coating process, that probably isn't an option.
Glad it turned out OK, I saw your question yesterday and was trying to remember how I'd applied one, but it was several years ago...

As I understand it, the frameset is not powder coated. It is painted by an electric solution method with a coat or two of lacquer after.

If you mean the ED coating, I think you've misunderstood, that's like a primer before the paint or powder coat.

robert17
Posts: 307
Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 1:41pm
Location: Worcs

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby robert17 » 9 Jan 2021, 8:26pm

Fair enough. Thanks.

fastpedaller
Posts: 2732
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Reynolds decal

Postby fastpedaller » 9 Jan 2021, 11:55pm

I replied earlier, but for some reason it didn't work. Anyway....
Clear lacquer can be brush painted onto the transfer (just overlapping onto frame) and will be perfect with no brush marks.
I did this over the Regina transfer I put on my Spa. I used Winsor & Newton artist varnish (from art shop). It is absolutely clear (no amber tint) and a very long drying time (hence no brush marks), Nit cheap though, but a small bottle is available (probably enough to varnish a whole frame :lol: )