Brompton dynohub lighting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
speedsixdave

Brompton dynohub lighting

Post by speedsixdave »

Hi all,

There's a Significant Birthday coming up for my London-dwelling brother shortly and after consultation I've said I would get him a dynohub lighting setup for his Brompton, which he describes as 'very old'. Other than the 74mm OLD front hub, are there any other major pitfalls or constraints to a dynamo system on a Brommie? I have fitted dynamo systems on at least six bikes so happy with the concept generally, but I don't have a lot of Brompton experience and in the current climate I'm doing all this remotely so less opportunity to offer up parts and see how they fit.

I'm thinking the Brompton-specific SON XS hub on a suitable rim, a B&M IQ-XS front light and perhaps the Brompton rear light unless anyone has better suggestions.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Brucey

Re: Brompton dynohub lighting

Post by Brucey »

I guess it might make a difference if there is rack fitted or not?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Brucey wrote:I guess it might make a difference if there is rack fitted or not?

cheers

Yes good thinking - I will inquire.
Two saddles best!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in a similar vein if a bag is fitted to the luggage block at the front, it is normally high enough that there is room for a small light beneath it. But this isn't guaranteed to be the case...?

Another thought is that current Brompton rims are slightly different from older ones; some folk don't even notice this, but others like everything to match perfectly and might not be happy with 'odd wheel rims'. Of course drawing attention to this possibility does increase the chances of it happening…?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Is there a reason you wouldn't just buy a Brompton official off the shelf Sp dyno wheel and suitable Brompton fitting lights of choice?

Nb I don't think the rear Spanninga solo lamp is a good idea on a rackless(L) brompton , as the mudguard obscures the low Led light strip (as can be seen in brilliantbikes.co.uk videos).
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Is there a reason you wouldn't just buy a Brompton official off the shelf Sp dyno wheel and suitable Brompton fitting lights of choice?

Not really, just the quest for perfection! It's a 50th birthday present and he does commute and ride in the dark, so I'm happy to cough up the cash for the most reliable kit. I'd happily buy the SP for myself (I have one on a Moulton) but am tempted by the German wonderment of the SON as a thing that will hopefully see him lit up for the next 50 years. Having said that, I do think the plastic connector on the SP and Shimano hubs is significantly more user-friendly than the flat tabs on the SON.
Two saddles best!