What USB charger for powerbank

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mr Tom

What USB charger for powerbank

Postby Mr Tom » 10 Jan 2021, 10:43am

I bought a powerbank a little while back which was great, but stopped working after a few months (stopped charging).

I don't know if it was just a faulty one, but I wondered if I'd damaged it by using the wrong charger. I can't remember all the ways I charged it, but I think I used a couple of different power supplies.

I bought a replacement and the manual just says use the computer usb or a suitable usb power supply. The model is an Ansmann Powerbank 10.8, it says the input is 5V/1A (output 5V1A or 5V/2.1A).

I've got:
My iPhone power supply which is 5V/1A
A Panasonic charger which is 5V/800mA
Another charger which is 5.1V/2.5A

I just wondered if any of these are likely to be OK. Otherwise maybe I'll contact Ansmann. It seems like USB charging is pretty complicated with different generations and so on. I don't really want to be dependant on my computer to charge if possible.

Sorry if this is obvious stuff, I don't know much about electronics!

Jdsk

Re: What USB charger for powerbank

Postby Jdsk » 10 Jan 2021, 10:48am

You can safely charge that with any USB cable that fits at both ends. (The same was probably true of the previous unit.)

Do you particularly want to charge it as quickly as possible? That would take us into different versions of the charging protocol and some proprietary protocols.

Charging and powering rates depend on that current figure (given in Amps), the voltage stays the same (until you get into some fancy protocols). But the two devices both have to support the highest quoted current for it to be achieved.

Jonathan

Mr Tom

Postby Mr Tom » 10 Jan 2021, 11:22am

Great, thanks for that. I think the older one could have been saved, it was made by a decent company. I watched a few videos online of how to bring one back to life by opening it up and doing various things and then tried to do the same on mine, but it wasn't made to be opened and I was worried I'd damaged it. Didn't really want to risk carrying it around in case it overheated or something. Next time will do more research before I dive in!

Mr Tom

Postby Mr Tom » 10 Jan 2021, 11:23am

Charging speed isn't an issue, just don't want to be reliant on the computer as a charger

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 10 Jan 2021, 11:49am

Are you taking it with you on your bike?

I wonder if it had bike mounted then it may well have been broken through vibration?

Might it be better protected in a jiffy bag or a jacket pocket?

Cheers James

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 10 Jan 2021, 11:54am

There are loads of mains USB chargers around but be very cautions when buying low cost imported ones with unknown brands. Some have a history of overheating & burning-out (with associated risks).

Even better quality ones are not horrendously expensive so if you can, buy a reputable brand.

Ian

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 10 Jan 2021, 11:59am

Jamesh wrote:Are you taking it with you on your bike?

I wonder if it had bike mounted then it may well have been broken through vibration?

Might it be better protected in a jiffy bag or a jacket pocket?

My USB battery pack is now crucial for touring after experiences with a dynamo charger alone. It lives in the the bar bag rather than clamped to the frame.

Jonathan

Mr Tom

Postby Mr Tom » 10 Jan 2021, 12:53pm

Mine is made by Ansmann, they look pretty decent, even has a warranty, although I doubt it would be worth the hassle of sending one back.

The first one was never mounted on bars but has been carried in bags and pockets and might have been dropped or something. I think it's probably from me using it and charging it in dribs and drabs, instead of doing proper charges, I don't know though. I've only used it for navigation once but it was so worth it. I'm getting a little frame bag to put it in. If that doesn't work out might try a bar bag.

Will also probably just use it when I'm out in town for the day and stuff like that.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 10 Jan 2021, 2:54pm

Do you have the data sheet for your model. It possibly says that is has over-charge protection, deep discharge protection, overload protection and short circuit protection.
So basically most USB chargers should be suitable. Generally though I would not leave it charging more than necessary. The cells used in these tend not to mind how much charge is left in before charging. They don't have a "memory" like Ni-Cad' cells have, but they don't like being fully discharged.
You'll never know if you don't try it.