Sourcing Touring Wheels

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrevA

Re: Sourcing Touring Wheels

Post by TrevA »

alexnharvey wrote:Pinging?

Breaking.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

When I get a new wheel (or newly rebuilt) from my LBS, I always run it in before going on tour. I usually run it for about 300 Kms, then take it back so they can give it a quick look over.

Same (ie checking before I go away) goes for any new bits, apart from brake blocks.
nsew

Post by nsew »

If you want something doing properly it’s advisable to do it yourself.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I've had several pairs of touring wheels from Spa Cycles and they've all been good.
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

+1 for Spa Cycles.

When the rim (MA40) wore out on the front wheel, I removed and sent the hub (Campagnolo Tipo) to Spa Cycles to be rebuilt with an Exal LX17 rim. A few months later, I removed the rear hub and again sent it to Spa for a matching LX17 rim. Many years later, both rims are still true and have never needed adjusting. I have completed many thousands of miles since that time, including multi day cycle camping.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Also not had a problem with Spa wheels, unlike some of the other items I've purchased from them over the years(!) They even sent me a pair to NZ when I was living over there.

The Exal rims are plain but seem as good as any other rims out there at the moment - i.e. all have thin braking surfaces ~1.4mm.
matt_twam_asi

Touring wheels that don't break the bank?

Post by matt_twam_asi »

I'm looking for advice as I know next to nothing about the details of wheel components. The front wheel on my 2009 Ridgeback Voyage has developed a crack in the rim and the rear wheel rim is getting pretty ropey too, so I'm looking for replacement options. I'm interested in either built to order or off the peg.

Have the Shimano RM60 hubs been discontinued now? If so, what are the modern alternatives?
What should I look for in the selection of rims (aside from continuing with 36 holes)?

I know there's a strong preference for Spa Cycles on this forum but are there other recommendations for suppliers of touring wheelsets?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Any crack is bad and means your wheel needs replacing, but if it's a crack in the side of the rim then complete failure can be imminent and sudden, so don't ride the bike AT ALL until you've replaced the wheels.

Spa are good value and quality. When you say other suppliers of touring wheels do you mean you're looking for decent but cheaper?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Other wheel builders are available
Pete Mathews for one - is he still going?
Cycle clinic
Ryan builds wheels

There will be wheel builders near you.

Or build your own.

I did so cannot be that hard!

Cheers James
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I have a Thorn touring tandem and a Thorn Mercury and the wheels on both bikes are very well built.

Mike
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

There are many good builders out there. Some have been named. Personally I prefer local so that I can speak to them easily. Ask local people or shops. Maybe find you local club and ask, even if it's by their social media outlet.
As said. If we knew the bike or the wheel details we could help more as well as knowing where you live.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I do wonder if the poster is a troll.

Lots of good advice but no replies or thanks.

From checking his profile, he’s only made one post and hasn’t logged in again since 10 January. Lots of these during lockdown.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

mattsccm wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 6:10am There are many good builders out there. Some have been named. Personally I prefer local so that I can speak to them easily. Ask local people or shops. Maybe find you local club and ask, even if it's by their social media outlet.
As said. If we knew the bike or the wheel details we could help more as well as knowing where you live.
Thanks for this advice, I checked in with a couple of LBS's and got a good deal on a new set. :)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Pretty much the advice I wrote on page 1.

Was this a merged thread?
zenitb

Re: Touring wheels that don't break the bank?

Post by zenitb »

matt_twam_asi wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 3:01pm ....

Have the Shimano RM60 hubs been discontinued now? If so, what are the modern alternatives?
The Shimano HB-RM60 and Shimano FH-RM60 are classic Shimano "cup and cone" hubs, albeit low-ish end ones (roughly Alivio level ?) and plenty of modern alternatives exist. Note that the differences between these hubs and the next level up is supposed to be the simpler seals (+ bearings see below). Generally Alivio level hubs have single lip seals - wheras the next level up Deore level hubs generally have "labyrinth" seals where there is a rubber seal on the axle and on the hub that form a labyrinth to stuff getting in. That said your hubs have outlasted your rims suggesting the Alivio level of sealing has worked well for you.
Shimano HB-RM60 showing seals highlighted
Shimano HB-RM60 showing seals highlighted
Shimano FH-RM60 showing seals highlighted
Shimano FH-RM60 showing seals highlighted
The modern equivalent to the RM60 hubs is probably the T4000 ones
Shimano HB-T4000
Shimano HB-T4000
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... T4000.html
Shimano FH-T4000
Shimano FH-T4000
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... T4000.html

If you wanted to "step up" a level the Shimano Deore hubs generally have better sealing and have what shimano call "CBN"(cubic boron nitride) races for the ball bearings which Shimano imply are better and use for all their higher end hubs like XT and Saint. That said it sounds like your RM60s have lasted just fine...

For what is worth here is the Deore equivalent hub .. The T610 series ..
Shimano FH-T610
Shimano FH-T610
Any decent wheelbuilder like Spa can explain the differences .. there will be a minimal cost difference between these hub types if building full wheels..