Sourcing Touring Wheels

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stanleyoid

Sourcing Touring Wheels

Post by Stanleyoid »

Hi all,

probably already been posted a zillion times but my key word searches didnt reward with anything so im gonna give it a shot anyway. Apologies for repeat.

I need to get a new rear wheel for my touring bike. The rim gone bust and it wasn't a very good wheel to begin with anyhow.

Has anyone got suggestions for good suppliers, manufactures or forums/sites where I can buy a wheel? Ebay didnt yield much unfortunately.

Also, what are the kind of things I need to pay attention to? May sound dumb, but does it need to come with the gear hub or can I put my existing one on it? Which is to say is there a difference between rear and front wheels when youre buying?

And can anyone give me a heads up on prices? I haven't got the foggiest what to expect and what money could and should buy. Currently use the bike a lot for commuting and general city riding but intend to do decent length tours as soon as I can. Haven't got loads of dosh but willing to invest for the sake of my future riding self. Found these for example @ 100pounds (the lower range of what they have). Is that reasonable?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s176p3 ... ice-of-rim

As with all bike related stuff I know the details are endless and my mind tends to get a bit overwhelmed and overexcited by all the infinite possibilities and combinations. So given my limited experience, Id like to just get the fundamentals right.

Thanks for reading and responding!

Really appreciate the guidance!

Stan
Jdsk

Re: Sourcing Touring Wheels

Post by Jdsk »

Stanleyoid wrote:As with all bike related stuff I know the details are endless and my mind tends to get a bit overwhelmed and overexcited by all the infinite possibilities and combinations. So given my limited experience, Id like to just get the fundamentals right.

I know what you mean. I discuss what I need with Spa by email, as well as asking here.

Stanleyoid wrote:May sound dumb, but does it need to come with the gear hub or can I put my existing one on it?

What have you currently got? Add some photos if you're not sure.

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Stanleyoid wrote:Found these for example @ 100pounds (the lower range of what they have). Is that reasonable?
A good price BUT ----They may not fit. Deore hubs are 135 OLN (width between your rear dropouts). You might have 130mm (Like Shimano 105) or older 126 or 120 if you have a screw on freewheel.

Things to need to know
Hub for screw on freewheel or cassette.
Hub OLN.
Rim size, 700C, 26" or other.
PH

Post by PH »

Stanleyoid wrote:Haven't got loads of dosh but willing to invest for the sake of my future riding self. Found these for example @ 100pounds (the lower range of what they have). Is that reasonable?
Stan

Assuming they're the right size and suitable for you gears, they're a good choice. More money buys some bling, but for your usage it's hard to see what practical benefit would come from spending more. just choose your rim on the basis of your weight and the intended riding, LX17 for lighter Sputnik for heavier. If in doubt, give them a ring.
It's worth doing a little maintenance on the new wheel, add grease and adjust the bearings, sounds daunting, but you could practice on the old wheel. There's you tube vids to show you how. Looked after, the hub will likely last you a lifetime so when the rim wears out the replacement is cheaper.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Do you have a good local bike shop (LBS)?

Not a bike supermarket, but a proper old style bike shop. If so, it could be worth heading there to see what they can offer. My LBS build all my touring wheels (admittedly, I know what I want). The deal is they build for free if I buy all the parts from them. This works out at a very competitive price. It will mean you get the right the size. Also if it is only the rim that has gone, that can be easily replaced, keeping the hub and spokes - cheaper still.

I currently use Ryde Andra rims, which have replaced the discontinued Sputniks. These are tough rims, which I use for long haul touring and would certainly be OK for commuting, but you could go lighter if you want.

What you need is a good LBS with a good reputation for building wheels. Maybe post where you live for recommendations. Otherwise Spa do have a good reputation.
irc

Post by irc »

You won't go wrong with Spa Cycles. I'm 16 stone and have toured for thousands of miles with Spa wheels. Never needed to true them. The 135 OLN hub (Deore/LX/XT with Sputnik rims.

I also have a Spa 130 OLN wheel with a lighter rim and that has gone out of true and broken a spoke twice. But I am 16 stone and use that bike on potholed local roads.

Personally, regardless your weight' if you are going to tour fully loaded a heavier stronger rim is good insurance. On the rear at least.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Stanleyoid wrote:Hi all,

probably already been posted a zillion times but my key word searches didnt reward with anything so im gonna give it a shot anyway. Apologies for repeat.

I need to get a new rear wheel for my touring bike. The rim gone bust and it wasn't a very good wheel to begin with anyhow.

Has anyone got suggestions for good suppliers, manufactures or forums/sites where I can buy a wheel? Ebay didnt yield much unfortunately.

Also, what are the kind of things I need to pay attention to? May sound dumb, but does it need to come with the gear hub or can I put my existing one on it? Which is to say is there a difference between rear and front wheels when youre buying?

And can anyone give me a heads up on prices? I haven't got the foggiest what to expect and what money could and should buy. Currently use the bike a lot for commuting and general city riding but intend to do decent length tours as soon as I can. Haven't got loads of dosh but willing to invest for the sake of my future riding self. Found these for example @ 100pounds (the lower range of what they have). Is that reasonable?

As with all bike related stuff I know the details are endless and my mind tends to get a bit overwhelmed and overexcited by all the infinite possibilities and combinations. So given my limited experience, Id like to just get the fundamentals right.

Thanks for reading and responding!

Really appreciate the guidance!

Stan

Stan to get any sort of answer you are going to have to say what your current bike is. There are lots of variations in wheel diameter, rim width, hub width, rim or disc brake, cassette hub/freeweel hub/hub gear etc etc. Manufacturer and model ?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Avoid Spa for hand built wheels . One of my hand built touring wheels gave up after 10 days from new....when I was on tour abroad....this was after they'd previously sent me the wrong set. Neither were exactly true when they arrived, they agreed to fix the issue and replace the rear hub yet the replacement was still all over the shop.

Any communication is slightly farcical, especially by phone :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

All my Spa wheels have been good and none have had a spoke break. And I'm not light.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:All my Spa wheels have been good and none have had a spoke break. And I'm not light.

I think that's the consensus view.
scottg

Post by scottg »

No time like the present lockdown to learn to build your own wheels.
CycloTourists are encouraged to be self sufficient.

Here in the wilderness, you can go to a bike shop and order a rim, spokes
and bring in your hub and they will figure out the spokes for you.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I build all my wheels and would heartily agree that wheel building is a skill worth learning. I would also however echo the above statement that it would be worthwhile finding a local bike shop who know how to build good wheels. I appreciate that this might not be an option but if the OP lets us know where he lives someone here might be able to point him in the right direction. Failing that, despite one negative comment above, I think Spa Cycles know what they are doing with regard to the needs of the touring cyclist.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

One of my LBS options, Protheros in Leominster provided me with excellent Mavic 319 touring/hybrid wheels and they proved to be be fabulous. They are widely available and I think I paid around £210 for the pair. With this you get the comfort and security of having the shop for advice and somewhere to return to if needed.

I have however, had four wheels from Spa my time and they've all been faultless.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I also had a problem with a rear touring wheel bought from Spa, it kept pinging spokes. I’ve been told that it was due to a batch of faulty spokes and that I should take it back to the shop. That’s not so easy when you are 100 miles away. I bought a replacement wheel from St John’s St Cycles - Deore hub on Mavic A319 rim. I think I paid £100. It’s been faultless in the 4 years I’ve owned it.

To be fair to Spa, I bought another bike that has a set of wheels built by Spa (Deore hubs on Exal 17 rims) and they’ve been great in the 6 months I’ve owned them.
Last edited by TrevA on 11 Jan 2021, 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Pinging?