Bench vice without a bench

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
keyboardmonkey

Re: Bench vice without a bench

Postby keyboardmonkey » 11 Jan 2021, 10:08pm

For years we had a heavy wooden chopping board leant in the corner on a kitchen worktop. It was so heavy I could barely get it out of its resting place and it almost collapsed the drainer rack after I washed it. During the many sort outs during lockdown my wife wanted me to tip it. But it’s somewhere in the garage ready for me to drill some holes through it to bolt through to fix my vice. The idea is to heft the vice and board on to my garage workbench as and when its required and put it in the corner of the garage when it’s not needed.

Could you source a length of hardwood kitchen worktop to use as and when? Just a thought.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 11 Jan 2021, 10:09pm

screwfix vice above is a knock-off of a Rabone Chesterman design. Having used such things they are adequate for (say) filing a cotter pin, but not much more than that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

drossall

Postby drossall » 11 Jan 2021, 10:11pm

I have no garage, and no space for working in my shed. For many years, I've had a Record bench vice bolted to a length of kitchen worktop that was left over from something or other. Forget now where it came from.

Often I put it on a low wall in the garden. Sometimes, e.g. when removing recalcitrant freewheels, I put it on the ground or floor and crouch on it. If I'm on it, then I'm not producing any turning moment to make the bench-top move.

If I recall correctly, I've actually broken a couple of vices, so it must be a reasonably-solid way of working :roll:

LuckyLuke

Postby LuckyLuke » 11 Jan 2021, 10:49pm

Brucey wrote:screwfix vice above is a knock-off of a Rabone Chesterman design. Having used such things they are adequate for (say) filing a cotter pin, but not much more than that.

cheers

Good to know, forwarned is forarmed as they say.
I do like the look and sound of the Record Imp described up thread.
Am tempted to source a couple, so I can tell people I'm a man of many vices... (sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get me coat...)

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 11 Jan 2021, 11:18pm

I'm thinking I should bolt a vice through the lid of our chest freezer in the garage into some 2x2 secured to the front wall ift the freezer stop the little nippers nicking all the ice cream!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The freezer is my bike maintainance station btw!

Cheers James