Gear changing on 6 speed Brompton

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Andy Short

Re: Gear changing on 6 speed Brompton

Post by Andy Short »

Ref. Bruceys answer:

lockwasher part HMW526 is not symmetric, and if it is misplaced (eg inverted) the derailleur will sit at a strange angle and may indeed not shift correctly.

My problem wasn't that this anti-rotation washer was inverted. I'm not sure what it was, something to do with the gearchange mechanism and washer outside of it.
It was a few years back. As I recall, there is a nut that locks the wheel that the plastic gear mech. sits over, with a washer and nut/toggle guide to hold the mech. in place. Somehow, the mech. wasn't clamped in the correct position. It was either canted slightly or not seated. I removed the toggle, loosened the guide, repositioned the mech. a tiny amount. All was fine after that.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The shift on my 2 speed Brompton went through a decidedly dodgy patch a few years ago and, like Phil, nothing I did seemed to make a positive difference. Eventually it was cured by replacing the cable with a kit from Brilliant Bikes, by which time everything else involved had been carefully cleaned. The issue disappeared after the new cable was put in place and has not recurred since :D I think the new cable came from Brilliant Bikes with all sorts of extras - cable ties, ferrules and a new spring, but to be honest, I can't quite remember...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Brucey wrote:instinctively I think keeping the spring clean ought to help. Cables on Bromptons seem to die depending on how often they get flexed, so more folding = shorter cable life.

cheers

Spring cleaning, yes, but what about lubrication with Semi fluid gresea including the internal spring as shown in the photograph?
Attachments
BromptonDerailurewSpring.jpg
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

some lube is usually better than no lube, but too much just seems to attract the dirt. I'm not sure I know of a 'perfect solution' here but one thing I have been considering is to use an additional plastic guard over this part, eg zip-tied in position, such that it won't interfere with how it moves.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Philip Benstead

Brucey wrote:some lube is usually better than no lube, but too much just seems to attract the dirt. I'm not sure I know of a 'perfect solution' here but one thing I have been considering is to use an additional plastic guard over this part, eg zip-tied in position, such that it won't interfere with how it moves.

cheers

What about melt paraffin wax?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have not tried that, on that part, so you 'll have to see how you get on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oban

Post by Oban »

I had the same problem with my 6 speed with the newer style gear levers.
There's a good YouTube video in solving the problem.
It involves dismantling the gear shift lever and sandpapering a sticky plastic component- took me about 30mins and no problems since.
Philip Benstead

Oban wrote:I had the same problem with my 6 speed with the newer style gear levers.
There's a good YouTube video in solving the problem.
It involves dismantling the gear shift lever and sandpapering a sticky plastic component- took me about 30mins and no problems since.

Yes I have seen that at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwYEYO3h2Po but I still had problems.

I do use my Brompton a lot for work and I fold it up often.

In case it was a conbination of things but the spring was major part of it sticking.