shabby cranks: painted vs anodised vs polished

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Re: shabby cranks: painted vs anodised vs polished

Post by alexnharvey »

nsew wrote:Three black cranks - none too shabby on a bike. The Mercian would clearly benefit from a dark cassette, headset and spacers to complete the look. The Quirk appears to have achieved it. The Moots strikes a nice balance.

I'm afraid I don't have anything nice to say but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As above. :D
I must admit that a bluey grey can be nice. Hope do some nice hubs ad the old Mavic grey was nice, especially the browner version.
having said that I have always lusted after some Citron Open Pros..
Black can look nice on deep carbon rims with proper cotton walled tyres.
Black spokes however are an invention of the devil. Spokes should sparkle!
nsew

Post by nsew »

slowster wrote:
nsew wrote:Three black cranks - none too shabby on a bike. The Mercian would clearly benefit from a dark cassette, headset and spacers to complete the look. The Quirk appears to have achieved it. The Moots strikes a nice balance.

Agree on the Quirk and Moots (but then the Moots is titanium which always suits black components much better than silver). The Mercian however is a fail for me.

I think bright red is one of the few colours that can work as well with black components as with silver, but for most painted frame colours silver is usually much the better option.

I would also have said that blue was a colour that always looks best with silver parts, but the very dark blue of the new Singular Peregrine has made me rethink that.

Better image here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNsKn1FtuQ/

You’re right re the Mercian, the wheels especially are an aberration. There’s a lot to like about Singular. The Peregrine geometry is superb, however I only have seat post, saddle, pedals and bars to switch to a modern frame. I remember liking the Swift, when researching Cunningham’s.