Tyre rotation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycle tramp

Tyre rotation

Postby cycle tramp » 14 Jan 2021, 9:42pm

Having fitted a new pair of tyres to my bike, should I rotate (swapping the tyres from front to rear and vice versa) every so often, to get the maximum wear from the tyre, or doesn't anyone do that now?

Brucey

Re: Tyre rotation

Postby Brucey » 14 Jan 2021, 9:55pm

'it depends'.

On what...?.... Quite a lot of things. But one of them is whether you intend to use the same type of tyres in the future or not, or whether you are likely to want/have to use a pair of something different next time, and how happy you are using a mismatched set, etc.

There's more than one way skinning this particular cat.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 Jan 2021, 11:19pm

cycle tramp wrote:Having fitted a new pair of tyres to my bike, should I rotate (swapping the tyres from front to rear and vice versa) every so often, to get the maximum wear from the tyre, or doesn't anyone do that now?

No,providing both front and rear tyres are the same size,the rear driving wheel tyre always wears out first,so I then move existing front tyre to rear and fit new tyre to the front.
This ensures the best tyre with the most puncture resistance is on the front,a rear tyre puncture is easier to control than a front.
-----------------------------------------------------------

531colin

Postby 531colin » 15 Jan 2021, 11:06am

OTOH you might want a "tyre you trust" on the front because a front blowout is very nasty.
So put the new tyre on the back until you trust it (from the point of view of manufacturing defects) then transfer it to the front?
....perfectionism is such hard work.... :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 15 Jan 2021, 11:21am

I have always rotated front-for-rear. I mean always. Never ever had an issue.
Wear both tyres out, and replace both. You never know, you may not be able to find a single tyre to match the other.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 15 Jan 2021, 1:09pm

Can't see the point of it to be honest, do some people do the same thing on cars as well?

mig

Postby mig » 15 Jan 2021, 1:18pm

i tend to concentrate more on checking that both tyres are currently in good order than getting as much wear as possible out of each cover. i rarely fully wear out a tyre anyway before some other issue arises - cut side walls, deep nicks in the tread etc.

over and above that on my daily use bikes i use different tyres front and rear going for a wider and thicker tyre at the rear (often on a fixed bike) so i don't swap for that reason too.

i'm not saying that it's a bad idea....just not for me.

in regards to cars i prefer four good tyres at all times. a time served mechanic friend always says that rear tyres "just do the following on" on front wheel drive vehicles but i prefer decent treads on the mig mobile so that i know at 70 mph on a wet M1 late on a friday i'm unlikely to spin when someone steps out in front and on go the anchors. i tend to change front & rear pairs at a time.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 15 Jan 2021, 1:36pm

philvantwo wrote:Can't see the point of it to be honest, do some people do the same thing on cars as well?

They certainly used to. The situation is a bit different in a car to a bike. Most FWD cars will wear out fronts first. My car wears the rears slowly and they would often be less than half worn when the front ones need to be replaced. So, I replace them in pairs but do not rotate, new ones go on the front.
The advice to put the best tyres on the front still holds though.
I'd endorse the idea to put the best tyre on the front for bikes too.

Like mig, I often run a slightly wider tyre on the rear, which would complicate rotation.

bgnukem

Postby bgnukem » 15 Jan 2021, 1:41pm

I find front tyres wear so slowly that there's more chance of them perishing through age than wearing out. I tend to swap them to the rear at least once during their life to wear them more quickly and try to stop that happening.

Ultimately though I think it's more important to have the better tyre/tread depth/grip on the front, as front wheel slides are more likely to cause face/head damage than rear wheel slides.

Also I find it's preferable to rotate the tyres side to side (i.e. turn them 180 degrees and remount on the same wheel, as this corrects for unneven wear due to road camber.

On cars, I was advised that the wear patterns differ from front to rear tyres due to the differences in wheel alignment/geometry front to rear (e.g. different camber settings) and so swapping front to rear would just accelerate the rate of wear of all 4 tyres as they wear into the particular geometry of either the front or rear wheels....

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 15 Jan 2021, 3:27pm

i have done it on matched pairs but more often than not it doesn't happen when it should, its most likely to be done on a long laden tour than the daily grind. Indeed the daily mile muncher rarely has 2 tyres of even the same brand, in the last 12 months its had a Schwalbe Lugano, a Conti Gatorskin, a Vittoria graphene Rubino and a Conti Ultra Sport.

As for changing the direction of rotation, most tyres these days have directional tread and seriously, if 'camber wear' is an issue you need to get the bike sorted out as clearly there is something wrong with frame/fork alignment.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 15 Jan 2021, 4:22pm

Hi,
Front tyre is so important for braking and grip.......the rear can just follow on......but invariably wears several times quicker if you do hills.
So narrow high performance tyres may well be well worn on the rear before your front has got to 75% useable rubber left.
Bicycle tyres can wear uneven one side if you use roads that have heavy camber.........most devon roads are like that especially the lanes, or when you are forced into the kerb on busy roads as a main part of your ride / commute.
Everytime you swap a tyre there is a good likelihood that the tube will be damaged from grit or unnecessary inflation and deflation.
So.......I always use a new tube on the front......rear ones can take patches an all.

I am inclined to examine tyres often but leave the front well alone until the rubber / and or tread gets to about 50% useable left.

There's a scam in car tyre sales where the user is either scared into or believes you need to always have 60% of useable tread for safety..............
Riding a motorcycle with road tyres tells you when the tyre is past its usefulness....
The front skips away on corners especially in the wet and rear will induce wobble at speed.
With modern cars there is no warning with abs.......you can still overshoot corners and drop into ditches in snow and ice with 4x4,s because the user thinks that they drive the safest vehicle on the planet...............

Unless you do mostly motorways / dual, then rural and short journeys can give roundabout wear to nearside front.
So I continue to rotate car tyres.

Most of my post has already been mentioned above.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

drossall

Postby drossall » 15 Jan 2021, 10:20pm

I've never bothered. I'm not sure about arguments about grip. It depends a bit on tyre width/type, but there is reason to think, with narrower tyres, that tread is not particularly useful. Bikes are not cars, and bike tyres don't work like car tyres; some experiments suggest that bikes will only aquaplane at speeds around 200km/h, which I'm certainly not at risk of reaching.

In cornering, of course, on a bike you're leaning over onto the bit of tyre that doesn't get used enough to wear anyway. On the flat, it could affect braking, but I generally find that punctures start before the rubber is gone, so it doesn't seem an issue.

I tend to buy tyres in batches of more than two so, even if I'm bothered about them matching, I'll be swapping on a replacement of the same brand in many cases.

The puncture likelihood arguments are interesting, but I'm not that convinced. I hardly get any punctures anyway these days, with modern Kevlar tyres such as Marathons, and I'm still using tubes. And, with most punctures, the tyre doesn't go down so fast as to catch the rider by surprise.

Cyclewala

Postby Cyclewala » 15 Jan 2021, 10:40pm

Mick F wrote:I have always rotated front-for-rear. I mean always. Never ever had an issue.
Wear both tyres out, and replace both. You never know, you may not be able to find a single tyre to match the other.

Me too. But it's got to be done early on, don't wait for the rear to get a square profile before moving it to the front.

If I expect rear tyre to last 3000 miles, I'll swap front with back half way through its life.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jan 2021, 11:06pm

A rear tyre takes more abuse than a front tyre,it squares off far quicker,takes more cuts and is more liable to sidewall damage due to it being the drive wheel and takingnthe biggest load,more so on a touring bike.
So why would I want to then after a period of wear and mileage wish to fit that tyre to the front?

A front tyre can last a long time,perhaps too long,so when the rear's worn,fitted to the rear the front tyre can then be worn out in a far shorter time.

I've never had a new tyre fail,but I have had old tyres fail.

So my logic is fit the new and therefore best tyre on the front and fit the old front tyre on the rear.

That makes sense to me at least.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 Jan 2021, 11:16pm

I've had new tyres that were bad. So I'm never entirely sure of them until I've given them a bit of stick. I've known of several people who have come unstuck, going touring on brand new tyres, so I think putting a few miles on them first is a good idea. A short period of use on the rear is arguably a good 'proof test'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~