Flying Gate

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nsew

Flying Gate

Post by nsew »

Can someone explain what the hell is going on with these things. I was prepared to overlook its existence until seeing this Jack Taylor on eBay.
Attachments
BDF56BEF-3931-4F6B-9DD4-940146AF79AC.png
pwa

Re: Flying Gate

Post by pwa »

Nope. Badly drawn bicycle.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Would certainly aid in removing a seized seat post. Or a cunning plan to add half a kilo to a frame.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think in theory it is supposed to allow the rear wheel to be further forward than would be possible with a normal seat tube with the saddle as far back as it is, but in the example shown a normal seat tube would not force the wheel to be further back, or not by much. They look to me like the work of a frame designer with a drink problem.
nsew

Post by nsew »

“It’s creators, W & R Baines of Bradford, gave their unique frame much more impressive-sounding names such as ‘International TT’ and ‘Whirlwind’. But their straight-talking Yorkshire customers said what they saw.”

I’m part Yorkshire and I’m thinking they tidied it up.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think the world is a slightly richer and more varied place for the existence of such frames but for me there is zero attraction. Less than zero in fact. I have long been baffled by folk swooning over such contraptions.

I think part of the logic behind any weird frame design at one point was that the frame could easily be identified in photos of time-triallists, even without the maker's name being prominent. Really good riders can win on practically anything, and if they didn't win, there probably wouldn't be many photos either. So weird frame designs were a 'no lose' proposition, provided they didn't actually break whilst in the lead of a race or something.

Just think, when Jack Taylor was making that thing, he could have been making something nice instead. So the World is probably down one nice Jack Taylor frame at least....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's an earlier thread about Flying Gate frames including a bit of name dropping from me. I'd forgotten that vernon (RIP) had a Flying Gate

viewtopic.php?p=193066#p193066
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Now if you really want to see an even more pointless Flying Gate machine check out the Trevor Jarvis Tricycle versions???
TJ made about 13 of the machines, of which a friend of mine has 2 for "His & Hers"!
They employ a single over-size chain stay, but why the need to get the axle further forward baffles me, often leads to heels clipping the paintwork?
Only with a Kendrick or Tadpole might it make the slightest bit of sense. TTFN MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Nope. Badly drawn bicycle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aren't they the ugliest thing?
From my understanding it was an attempt to shorten the wheelbase and make the frame stiffer.
Another dead end design IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

A word in favour of the Flying Gate.

I currently own 3 , and have owned one other.2 TJ and one Baines.

Yes the idea was to shorten the wheelbase and get the back wheel under the saddle which I understand is the best way to get the power on the ground. Plus the extra stays make for a really stable back end.

There is a school of thought that says the unusual frames go back to when sponsored riders were not allowed. No name on your bike. But everyone in Cycling recognised a Gate, Hetchins, Bates etc .

The one I don't own anymore had a 37" wheelbase, it was intended as a Time Trial Machine . Very much like a track bike in handling but with gears . Columbus Tubing. It would have flown had I been as fit as I was at 16! .

The Baines is Reynolds 531. The other 2 are both 531c. They are an effective frame design ( I have experience of several good makers , Bob Jackson, Mercian, plus others with unorthodox frames, Hetchins, Bates. But the Gate is my favourite ride.
Fast and sure footed.

Trevor Jarvis did once make a 5 seat Tandem, which was christened the Flying Fence ! . Mostly moped transmission I believe.

Have to say I ride Trikes too, and nearly bought a Gate Trike once. A Gate Trike is more of a visual thing, by the very nature you can't have the back wheels too close to the seat tube as as someone already said, you will bang your heels on the axle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The example in the OP looks like a longish wheelbase, which begs the question................
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I hadn't realised before this that Jack Taylor ever made one. They must have needed a lot of persuasion - the brothers had strong ideas about what worked and what didn't.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

An acquaintance of mine had a Trevor Jarvis model flying gate and he always said it was great for climbing.
Whether he meant the bike or the gate, I'm not sure. :roll:

I saw one last year in Bala when a couple turned up with a tandem version.
That definitely looked more like a gate. :?
mig

Post by mig »

really made by jack taylor? or a flying gate frame resprayed with the decals added afterwards?