Stuck bottom bracket - don’t give up!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gregoryoftours

Re: Stuck bottom bracket - don’t give up!

Post by gregoryoftours »

Sweep wrote:
gregoryoftours wrote:If your BB tool is low profile enough you can use the crank bolt with a washer, If not a longer m8x1 bolt has the correct thread to fit, but for about the same price you can get this, which works for both square taper and octalink spindles.Screenshot_2021-01-20-19-52-31-927_com.ebay.mobile.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RISK-Bicycle-Bottom-Bracket-Axis-Anti-Drop-Bike-Fix-Rod-Repair-Removal-Tool-/133629595676?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I have one of those as well.
A bit more complicated doing a personal import from the east these days though?
Remain puzzled by why Park do nothing similar (or do they?)
Do they just like to hear folk curse?

I think that because tax is added by eBay that there shouldn't be any additional charges. Since 1st January Ali express is adding 20% at checkout also, but will still be cheaper there. I don't think that Park do one of these, but Pedros do. More expensive and probably better steel.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Tried this technique today on a seized BB - worked a treat!

My M8 bolt with 1mm thread was a a bit long but a socket acted as a perfect spacer between the tool and washer. Had to stand on the spanner but it shifted (and I fell off!!!)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Brucey wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 10:47am FWIW the one thing you shouldn't do is to use a hammer on the tool. I recently broke a shimano UN BB tool by doing that, and I didn't think I'd hit it that hard. The same tool had survived a scaffold pole previously ( est 500-600 ftlbs), so it was strong.... but not tough....

FWIW I nearly always use a washer on the tool, but my washer is ~35mm dia, which means that I can slip a full hex 3/4" drive 36mm socket onto it if I want to.

cheers
I was going to ask Brucey which tool he had as mine took a 32 mm socket. Combined with an M16 washer (30 mm OD) and a standard crank bolt, we had lift off. Initially it broke an aluminium extension tube (I had tried this BB a few years back without success) but a 4' double old vacuum cleaner tube, gently levered, did the trick! So thanks to peetee for this (or least bringing it to our attention). Although I preferred Brucey's use of the socket rather than a spanner, it is the securing of the tool that does the trick. It has basically saved a bike.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher