shimano rapidfires = JIS screws?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
profpointy

Re: shimano rapidfires = JIS screws?

Post by profpointy »

I (now) have a set of JIS screwdrivers, in "normal" sizes and "watchmakers'" sizes for cameras, but that said I replaced everything on the bike with allen screws.
If you munge the head it is possible to saw a slot in it and use a conventional flat blade screwdriver to get it off, and replace it with a new screw with a sensible head on it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Would the drivers be these, by any chance?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I/
I am noting that I should probably have a set of JIS drivers, but there are so many choices.

Details on that kit from Vessel:
https://www.vessel.co.jp/english/product/screwdriver/detail/233072

Jonathan
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

MrP wrote:For background information, I discovered when recommissioning an old Honda, that JIS = Japanese Industrial Standard.
I could throw away all of my cross head drivers now I bought one of these Bessel JIS drivers with three different inserts.
They also do an impact screwdriver in #2 which is fantastic.
Won't use anything else on Japanese screws now.
Don't know if the above helps or not, regards

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I/

Asked if these were the ones up thread.
MrP

Post by MrP »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
MrP wrote:For background information, I discovered when recommissioning an old Honda, that JIS = Japanese Industrial Standard.
I could throw away all of my cross head drivers now I bought one of these Bessel JIS drivers with three different inserts.
They also do an impact screwdriver in #2 which is fantastic.
Won't use anything else on Japanese screws now.
Don't know if the above helps or not, regards

Asked if these were the ones up thread.

Yes, that is the same screwdriver I bought. Wish I'd bought it decades ago.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Reporting back.

I bought these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-AK431 ... 2749.l2649

Excellent and great service/rapid delivery (PO 48 hours) from a Kent based supplier.

Maybe won't ever use the biggest one but the other 3 (2 point sizes) will get plenty of use I am sure.

I set to on the shifter I had issues with.

One screw I had already managed somehow to extract with a "normal" screwdriver, maybe because it wasn't too tight.

I actually managed to extract a second screw with these, even though that screw had doubtless been chewed a bit by me using the wrong screwdriver before.

No luck with the third screw which of course I had rashly decided to try to dremel into a slot-head and I can't even get that out at the mo with a slot-head screwdriver.

If only the brainwave about JIS had occured to me a bit earlier I could I am sure have easily extracted that screw as well and quite possibly resolved the jammed cable issue.

The screwdrivers also seemed to fit my shimano SPD pedals.

Being philosophical at least I won't be trashing any shifters or other stuff in future.

Recommended, many thanks for all the great advice and help as always.
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

worth drilling the head on the third screw?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:worth drilling the head on the third screw?

As the shifter is a quality item, the screw itself is a far beefier better thing than those securing the covers on 7 speed ones.

I think upthread there are suggestions on unscrewing it with a drill bit - will look into.

If I can get the bottom off without mucking up the top of the unit and the mech still works with the cable extracted I will of course at least have a functioning spare -I am assuming all the mechanics are all in the top?

i have already bought a second hand identical unit so stuff should swap.
Sweep
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

What is that white grease you sometimes find in shifters? I assume it must be plastic safe and might be good for lubricating the screws?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

White lithium grease?

Jonathan
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Doesn't look like it to me, it has a more translucent quality.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Just resurrecting a fascinating thread (and noting how much Brucey is missed).

I too struggled with small screws recently on a revoshifter and didn't know about the JIS type of screw/screwdriver. So like many on this thread, I've ordered the set.

Thank you for all the replies and Sweep for his dogged questionning.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 1:13pm Just resurrecting a fascinating thread (and noting how much Brucey is missed).

I too struggled with small screws recently on a revoshifter and didn't know about the JIS type of screw/screwdriver. So like many on this thread, I've ordered the set.

Thank you for all the replies and Sweep for his dogged questionning.
no probs horizon.
yep dear brucey is much missed :(
be interesting if you could report back on how the screwdrivers (from the same Kent bunch I ordered from) fit into your shifters compared to old ones.

By the by, I have the idea that those JIS scredwrivers fit the limit screws on Mr Shimano mechs better as well - unless my fogged imagination.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 1:27pm
By the by, I have the idea that those JIS scredwrivers fit the limit screws on Mr Shimano mechs better as well - unless my fogged imagination.
I'm also sure I've struggled, usually blaming it on not having a good screwdriver but having no idea that it was simply the wrong one.

I've also come across this on ebay which implies that JIS and PH are identical (unless there is something I don't understand):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153550534281 ... %3A2047675
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 2:49pm
Sweep wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 1:27pm
I'm also sure I've struggled, usually blaming it on not having a good screwdriver but having no idea that it was simply the wrong one.

I've also come across this on ebay which implies that JIS and PH are identical (unless there is something I don't understand):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153550534281 ... %3A2047675
Don't test my tech knowledge beyond its limits Horizon :)

all I know is that the ones I bought above work just fine and dandy without wrecking screws and that none of my many other cross-head screwdrivers do.
Sweep
horizon

Post by horizon »

Sweep wrote: 3 Aug 2022, 2:52pm
Don't test my tech knowledge beyond its limits Horizon :)
:D

AINUI it is all quite simple: there are three types of cruciform screw head in common use - Phillips, Pozidrive and JIS (and excluding Torx etc). Obviously (as you have discovered) the better the fit, the better the job.

The good news I suppose is that since Shimano have a world monopoly on bike components, you won't come across Phillips or Pozidrive on a bike. :lol: (waits for incoming... :mrgreen: )