Reflective tape colours, front, back and sides

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Reflective tape colours, front, back and sides

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if the signage stuff is used to wrap a spiral I think it is sufficiently stiff that it is unlikely to wrinkle, crease, or go down in completely the wrong place. It is also sufficiently thick that the edges would have to be butted rather than overlapped. Once wrapped in a spiral it will only need to be secured at the ends in order not to peel off. If doing a two-colour spiral, with both colours in tape, they both need to go on to the tube at the same time to get the edge alignment exactly correct. Needless to say if the tube is not perfectly cylindrical, wrapping with the some tapes may be impossible to do perfectly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

White to the front (Pedals and odd bits), Red to the rear (Ditto), and I have some black reflective tape on the wheel rims - it reflects white, and 3 or 4 patches give a nice bit of vis from front and rear when moving (the rim are black as per current fashion so the patches don't show in daylight). As well as the white reflective tyre sidewalls
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Brucey wrote:FWIW if the signage stuff is used to wrap a spiral I think it is sufficiently stiff that it is unlikely to wrinkle, crease, or go down in completely the wrong place. It is also sufficiently thick that the edges would have to be butted rather than overlapped. Once wrapped in a spiral it will only need to be secured at the ends in order not to peel off. If doing a two-colour spiral, with both colours in tape, they both need to go on to the tube at the same time to get the edge alignment exactly correct. Needless to say if the tube is not perfectly cylindrical, wrapping with the some tapes may be impossible to do perfectly.

cheers

Hmm, there might be something to that. I had a quick experiment with a remnant of red 580 tape. If there was a way to apply the tape then the glue afterwards the 580 would work lovely! With the backing paper still on it's quite easy to move it around and get the angle right and also have it smooth and flat and evenly wrapped. Unfortunately 3M say you should not use the water/detergent method to apply 580 tape which would be ideal.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

No barber pole.
IMG_20210418_194722.jpg
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

You can stick silver reflective patches between the spoke holes for about 1/3 of each rim (do a contiguous third, not every third spoke!), and it gives a useful flashing effect when caught in headlights.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

mig wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 2:52pm would recommend any reflective tape being added to parts that move, especially pedals, shoes, overshoes etc. it's far more eye catching than on frames.
And small reflective patches on the rims. 3 or 4 should suffice, car headlights do pick them up well.

On my old bike (silver rims) I used small patches of silver reflective tape (I think it was a kit from Madison).

Nowadays with black rims I use 3M black reflective tape so you can hardly see them in the daytime. I've also wrapped them around edge - what would be the braking surface if I didn't have disc brakes!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !