digital readout spoke tension meter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

digital readout spoke tension meter

Post by fausto99 »

Neat bike tools get more and more affordable.
See https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000054 ... web201603_
(Reviewed on YT by OZ Cycle)
KM2

Re: digital readout spoke tension meter

Post by KM2 »

It would be interesting to know how much you pay including all import taxes.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

KM2 wrote:It would be interesting to know how much you pay including all import taxes.

£50
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alician-Bicycl ... B089VSB5VV
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Plus 20% applied at checkout. I wonder how accurate it is, or if you had a known good spoke tension meter of whatever type it could be used to calibrate this.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

even quite good tension meters are subject to fairly large errors; 'tis the nature of the beast. The one in question here is 100% reliant on the stiffness and free length of the visible coil spring not changing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

I recently invested a fiver in an app recommended elsewhere. I haven't built a wheel with it yet, but I've been playing with those previously built and it seems to give a more consistent reading than the Park Tool TM1 I have been using. I know some are able to distinguish minor differences by ear, I'm not one of them.

[youtube]ChFIIe0aPb4[/youtube]
2_i

Post by 2_i »

This is one of the most pointless applications of such a readout. After you read the display, you need to go to xeroxed pages, if they are there at, try to identify the column with your spokes, hoping that they are actually listed, and try to transcribe the digital readout onto actual tension. The transcription actually pertain to brackets and comments for table use are in Chinese characters. If the transcription pages are not there, you misplaced them or tore up, you need to look around the web and hope that what you found actually pertains to what you have.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

2_i wrote:This is one of the most pointless applications of such a readout. After you read the display, you need to go to xeroxed pages, if they are there at, try to identify the column with your spokes, hoping that they are actually listed, and try to transcribe the digital readout onto actual tension. The transcription actually pertain to brackets and comments for table use are in Chinese characters. If the transcription pages are not there, you misplaced them or tore up, you need to look around the web and hope that what you found actually pertains to what you have.

Spoke tensiometers are relatively easy to calibrate in theory, dangle something that weighs 100kg from a spoke and measure the tension. You could even make your own chart adding 10kg at a time. The most fun way to do it involves a door frame, a rim, a nipple, a spoke, a set of hand weights and a light, medium and heavy volunteer
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

KM2 wrote:It would be interesting to know how much you pay including all import taxes.

About £30 on Aliexpress when I looked.
rjb

Post by rjb »

There are several free apps available for measuring frequency. Guitar tuners for instance. I use one to keep my fiddle in tune. :D
You could use one of these to ensure the tension in a wheel is even it it won't tell you the tension. Checking the frequency of a plucked spoke on a good wheel may provide a guide to what range is acceptable. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW SJS sell the same type of tension meter with an analogue dial and it costs sixty-odd quid. The lookup table is linked to

http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/RJT/Professional_Spoke_Tension_Meter_Instructions.pdf

In use you know what tension you want to aim for. It is simply a question of knowing what dial gauge reading you are shooting for and noting that. You know that if you are +/- 0.1mm of that, you will be within a certain tolerance on spoke tension too. So you only need look up the chart (or calibrate the tool) once for each build.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:FWIW SJS sell the same type of tension meter with an analogue dial and it costs sixty-odd quid.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/ztto- ... ion-meter/

I wouldn't mind having one, but it would just be for interest's sake.
When I build a wheel, I do it by "feel" and providing the spokes feel right and the wheel is true and dished correctly, what's not to like?

Would I pay for one?
I don't think so, but if someone bought me one for a prezzy, I'd be very happy! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote: ...Would I pay for one?
I don't think so, but if someone bought me one for a prezzy, I'd be very happy! :D

does your other half read this forum and take hints then...? :lol:

cheers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gregoryoftours wrote:Plus 20% applied at checkout. I wonder how accurate it is, or if you had a known good spoke tension meter of whatever type it could be used to calibrate this.

It didn't show any 20 per cent added for me when I got to checkout - just £50.03 plus postage and a button to pay.

Which is bad of course as I assume I would then get hit with the 20 per cent on arrival plus a handling charge.

I thought online marketplaces like amazon were meant to have sorted this.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:
Mick F wrote: ...Would I pay for one?

does your other half read this forum and take hints then...? :lol:
Not often.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1647
Mick F. Cornwall