Axle and cassette advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ftm917

Axle and cassette advice please

Post by ftm917 »

Hello I have a ryde Taurus 19 rear 29 wheel it came without a cassette or axle appreciate the cassette is screw on but it appears to be 17mm thread way smaller than my sturmey archer screw on and I wondered what axel I would need it has a cup on one side but struggling to find parts that make sense pictures attached cheers
Attachments
41F307D8-DA83-46AB-950E-CEBED6442BA9.jpeg
E7C70846-BA63-4C37-BF60-468CA300DB5C.jpeg
tatanab

Re: Axle and cassette advice please

Post by tatanab »

ftm917 wrote:Hello I have a ryde Taurus 19 rear 29 wheel

That is the rim. What is the hub?
Your picture shows that the hub takes a modern cassette (not a screw on freewheel, which you have called a cassette). The sticky up things with a spring round them are the pawls that drive the freehub. Hence people will need to know ah tthe hub is to advise on axle and freehub to suit.
ftm917

Post by ftm917 »

Yeah the hub has nothing on it at all what do you need to identify ? Modern cassette sounds great so how do I identify which modern cassette ? Ive tried the seller but had no response cheers
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

You need a freehub to fit an unidentified hub, plus axle with cones etc for that same unidentified hub. I'd say you are on a hiding to nothing and it will be easier (possibly cheaper too) to rebuild the wheel on a new hub and fit a cassette of your choice.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Somebody on here will recognise it.
You would reach more people putting it on the "technical" board, probably
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Unless there is more , what you have is part of a freehub to take a cassette. The outer, splined cylindrical bit is missing.
You can get the gubbins in the lower pic off with a big, 10\11\12mm Allen key, from either one side or another or just maybe not at all. All really vague as hub is unknown.
But.... It us a cheaply, Chinese in origin and probably one if many. You'll only find axles and cones to match by luck. Possibly telling us the bike it originated on may, tiny may, help.
Cheapest and easiest way us a new hub. EBay specials of same or better quality are 15 quid. Measure the hub dimensions if yours and try to buy matching or closer ones and you could use the old spokes if good.
Too be honest, the cheapo hubs are usually a copy if a Shimano one so the dimensions are virtually the same.
Plenty of diy wheel building on www. I like Sheldon Brown.
ftm917

Post by ftm917 »

531colin wrote:Somebody on here will recognise it.

Thanks for the reply it’s looking like a new hub appreciate your reply cheers
ftm917

Post by ftm917 »

mattsccm wrote:Unless there is more , what you have is part of a freehub to take a cassette. The outer, splined cylindrical bit is missing.
You can get the gubbins in the lower pic off with a big, 10\11\12mm Allen key, from either one side or another or just maybe not at all. All really vague as hub is unknown.
But.... It us a cheaply, Chinese in origin and probably one if many. You'll only find axles and cones to match by luck. Possibly telling us the bike it originated on may, tiny may, help.
Cheapest and easiest way us a new hub. EBay specials of same or better quality are 15 quid. Measure the hub dimensions if yours and try to buy matching or closer ones and you could use the old spokes if good.
Too be honest, the cheapo hubs are usually a copy if a Shimano one so the dimensions are virtually the same.
Plenty of diy wheel building on www. I like Sheldon Brown.
that’s brilliant many thanks it’s a dead horse I’ll stop flogging
ftm917

Post by ftm917 »

531colin wrote:Somebody on here will recognise it.

Thanks I think I’ll change the hub appreciate your reply
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW it looks like the remains of a 36h KT (Kun Teng) hub. KT hubs are often unbranded, used as OEM hubs by bike manufacturers. KT also make hubs under the 'Quando' brand. Unfortunately the KT website never has anything other than current stuff on it, so even identifying hubs which are only a year or two old isn't that easy.
However they have produced rear disc hubs with large flanges, the left flange perforated, a milled 6-bolt disc mount, no perforations in the RH flange, and that style of freehub body internals, so to me it does look like one of theirs.

If you had an (internally) identical hub to rob for spares (which might include some non-disc models, asides from the axle length perhaps), it might save you the job of a wheel build. However otherwise, you are doing exactly the right thing by getting a different hub.

My advice is to check the spoke lengths are correct (the spoke ends should finish in the nipple slots) and choose a hub with dimensions accordingly (i.e. the same size or a touch smaller if the spokes are a bit short) if you want to re-use the spokes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

How was the wheel sold to you? If the seller didn't specify that the wheel was incomplete (not just in need of a cassette) then they may have been ignorant or dishonest. If the latter is the case I'd try to get money back or at least leave a bad review.