I need help on upgrading an old Shimano Roodbike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
plaidmode

I need help on upgrading an old Shimano Roodbike

Post by plaidmode »

I everyone, I want to update by old Shimano bike. It has a 105er group on it and it still has old shimao biopace chainrings on it (these are oval, not ring shaped). The chainrings are slightly bend, so during cyling, they always make the chain touch the derailleur at some point of the crank rotation. Therefore I want to change the chain, the chain rings and the cassette, they are all old. Here there are several problems: 1) I dont know how to find the right tool to open the freebody-hup casette connection. I tried the FR-2 for Suntour® two-notched from parktool, but this was not the correct one (parktool.com/blog/repair-help/determining-cassette-freewheel-type). Can I use this tool instead: amazon.de/Zahnkranz-Abzieher-BMX-Freilaufzahnkränze-geeignet-Schlüssel-gehärteter/dp/B007IT5KQU ? 2) And how about the bottom bracket screw connection? There are 6 notches in total. Which tool do I need to use here? 3) Can I use any cassette with 30 mm in thickness as a replacement for the current one? The cassette has 6 rings. (ebay.de/itm/253495357935?) 4) Can I put any chainrings with 5 holes on my current crankset? The crankset looks like this: ricardo.ch/de/a/kurbel-garnitur-shimano-300-ex-1047628148

I know may questions at once, but I already tried to repair/replace on my own and I want to make sure to purchase the right tools this time!

Best wishes, plaidmode
Attachments
kurbel-garnitur-shimano-300-ex.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Brucey

Re: I need help on upgrading an old Shimano Roodbike

Post by Brucey »

you don't need to undo the innards of the freehub body to change the cassette; the top sprocket unscrews (you have a Uniglide cassette /freehub body; a HG cassette with a lockring, or a screw-on freewheel won't fit ). You need two chain whips to remove the sprockets from the freehub body.

The chainrings are most likely 130mm BCD and can be changed if needs be (for round ones if you prefer those). However if they are a little bit bent they can usually be straightened.

The BB fixings sound like those old sort used by shimano in their three-piece BBs which are the same sized fittings as old campagnolo. Park tool still make spanners of this sort I think, and vintage shimano or campagnolo should also fit. These 'three piece' BB units can be adjusted, serviced and fitted with loose balls etc and (if cared for correctly) will probably outlast the rest of the bike.

For crank removal, see the park tool blog. The plastic dustcaps you have just unscrew; you can usually improvise a suitable tool using a piece of bent spoke.

FWIW if you modify the splines inside HG sprockets you can fit them to a UG freehub body and retain them using the original smallest top sprocket, provided it is not too worn.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

If your rings aren't unduly worn, try straightening them yourself, I use an adjustable spanner and gently bend, using front mech as a bit of a Guide.
A bottom bracket 'Pin' spanner should work on the crank dustcap.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I think you can also "get another go" at Uniglide sprockets by turning them over.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this is what a uniglide cassette looks like once it is off the freehub body

if you wish to 'turn' the splined UG sprockets as Colin suggests, there are three long bolts to be undone, which usually hold the splined sprockets together in a single assembly. These long bolts are not necessary in service, but simply serve to ease assembly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~