Adding Disc Mounts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Adding Disc Mounts

Post by Brucey »

djnotts wrote:
Brucey wrote:
djnotts wrote:.... I very much like my xtr hubs!

unless they have disc mounts on them you shouldn't be thinking about other brakes, should you...?

BTW a 90mm brake would definitely be 'too much brake' for that frame. A 70mm front brake, if set up/bedded in correctly, is likely to give you more than enough stopping power for normal use.

cheers

The current xtrs don't, but if I went disc could get suitable hubs of nearly equal quality. And drums surely a weight penalty which is the last thing I need as I enter what will almost certainly be my last year pre-electric.

Well IMHO there are two assumptions at work there; bearings and weight.

1) bearing quality; the SA brake hubs are of almost unequalled bearing smoothness and have been used in numerous HPVs to break speed record; so if you think bearing drag is going to be higher in the SA hubs, you've got it the wrong way round.

2) weight; by the time you have beefed up a steel fork to cope with disc brake loads it is invariably considerably heavier. Disc brake hardware (which is any good) is also not lightweight. The net result of this is that if you have a choice between a frame with a 1" steerer originally designed for rim brakes, but fitted with 70mm drums, and a steel frameset with a 1-1/8" fork meant for disc brakes, with disc brakes fitted to the bike, there's sod all in it. In fact the bike with drums might often be a bit lighter. Both will be appreciably heavier than rim brakes on that bike.

IMHO if you are worried about weight, the last thing you should be thinking of is converting that frame to disc brakes, and the automatic assumption that drums would be heavier is just that, an assumption. I actually bothered doing the sums and it didn't come out as I expected, even though there is clearly little attempt made to make the SA drum brakes super lightweight or anything.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.
Guess I shall continue to look out for a newish "gravel bike" with suitable gearing and discs and within my c. a grand budget!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

One other solution comes to mind. Have frame and forks altered to brake bosses widely enough spaced to take Vs or even modern cantis.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm confused :?: hasn't the bike in the OP got V brakes?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Old photo! It did have, rubbish performance so have tried a few cantis.
Only V for boss spacing STX RC and I failed to find any in good enough condition. Also too narrow spacing for modern cantis. Presently fitted with LX cantis from about same era as bike - not too bad but beyond my patience setting just right!
Si

Post by Si »

Hydraulic rim brakes. Best/worst* of both worlds.

* Delete according to you personal bias.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Si wrote:Hydraulic rim brakes. Best/worst* of both worlds.

One system I have never tried, but always suspected "worst". The faff of hydraulics while still grinding rims!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

djnotts wrote:... Also too narrow spacing for modern cantis..

IME BR-CX50 and BR-CX70 brakes will fit frames with narrow boss spacing. They are also well made and powerful brakes, when correctly set up. However V brakes ought to offer good performance too, so something is wrong....?

cheers
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Brucey wrote:

IME BR-CX50 and BR-CX70 brakes will fit frames with narrow boss spacing. They are also well made and powerful brakes, when correctly set up. However V brakes ought to offer good performance too, so something is wrong....?

cheers

Most commentary strongly suggests sub-65mm spacing is at best problematic for any modern set up.

Complete bike replacement the easy way out - I have seen a few that would have been fine if no covid restrictions I.e. able to drive/collect!

A Giant Anyroad just come up on Ebay offering postage. Probably way to go....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

BR-CX50/70 brakes come with spacers ranging from 10mm to 18mm as standard. This means they accommodate boss spacing variations of at least 16mm (which is about as much variation as is seen in practice). You can also reduce the spacers still further or indeed add to them, thus increasing the tolerance still further. They are a very versatile brake.

cheers
Si

Post by Si »

djnotts wrote:

One system I have never tried, but always suspected "worst". The faff of hydraulics while still grinding rims!

I've tried two bikes with them. On one the brakes were as good as a hydraulic disc. On the other, despite being powerful enough to bend the fork, the stopping power was no better than a canti......no doubt pad issues.
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

There are several adapters to mount disc brakes at the back, most of them useless if not unsafe, but the A2Z seems to get decent reviews. It is not cheap and it is far from universal though, you should check carefully if it fits well on your frame.

I have never seen one in the flesh, it'd be interesting to hear comments from anyone who has tried it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
RJC

Post by RJC »

Si wrote:
djnotts wrote:

I've tried two bikes with them. On one the brakes were as good as a hydraulic disc. On the other, despite being powerful enough to bend the fork, the stopping power was no better than a canti......no doubt pad issues.

Brake boosters worthwhile with these IMO. Without cable stretch then other flex is going to be more apparent. Also you don't have the cables pulling in the opposite direction like on V-brakes.
As well as being powerful and precise another nice feature is that the brake blocks move perpendicular to the rims so once set up they can score well on lack of faff.
But the drop bar lever version HS66 is no longer available so this might be a bit hypothetical for the OP.
nsew

Post by nsew »

djnotts wrote:
Brucey wrote:

cheers

Most commentary strongly suggests sub-65mm spacing is at best problematic for any modern set up.

Complete bike replacement the easy way out - I have seen a few that would have been fine if no covid restrictions I.e. able to drive/collect!

A Giant Anyroad just come up on Ebay offering postage. Probably way to go....

Canti bosses are measured from centre to centre. Those are 85mm spaced bosses which are 65mm from inside to inside. When rim brakes are set up poorly often in conjunction with inferior pads the rider is destroying the rims bringing the bike to a stop. They’re probably shot at this point. XTR V brakes are possibly the highest performing V brake ever designed and you’ve switched to basic road levers pulling a 30 year old basic cantilever. The bike was built as a sub 11kg off road tourer, it takes the mickey out of anything Thorn, Surly and the like are producing even today, a quarter of a century later. TRP RRL levers https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/componen ... gLS5_D_BwE in conjunction with the BR-CX70’s and Kool Stop salmons will stop that bike on a dime at your command in all weathers. Adding discs or drum brakes would add about 15% of the bike’s current weight. Is that a crime? It should be. If going down that route I recommend fitting a kickstand, shopping basket, spoke reflectors and tassles.
Attachments
36FBD209-718B-4864-8014-C8A4BD6547F1.png
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I thought "narrow" canti bosses with a threadless headset a bit unlikely. What frame is it?