Best wishes for Brucey

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paddyk

Re: Best wishes for Brucey

Post by Paddyk »

Best Wishes Brucey. Get well soon. We miss you and your wealth of knowledge and your willingness to use that wealth to help others. I'll include a picture of my new bike. I think it's a bit over geared. Cheers mate!
7db6d98bc7401aa2a3a5f8fd17c9f23dc20c5ddcffd042556942fd2b5e266b8a - Kopi.jpg
LiveFree

Post by LiveFree »

I was so very sorry to hear this news about Brucey- but am very hopeful that he will make a good recovery. For those of you who have not had the good fortune to meet our Dear friend and cycling 'guru' in person, I just thought that I would share this with you: in person, Brucey is just as helpful, knowledgeable and friendly as he is online. He is a fount of wisdom, and a fascinating man to while away a few hours with.

One thought that I had that might be helpful, in terms of something PRACTICAL that we could do for him- is the following: when Brucey has visited me here in Gloucestershire, I was interested (and a little concerned, if I'm totally honest) to hear that he never carries a mobile phone- indeed, I don't think he even owns one. This means, among other things, that if he ever has any car troubles (and he did on one occasion, in the pouring rain- on a LONG journey home) he has to sort them out himself, by the roadside. Actually, I think he rather enjoyed the challenge..and in typical Brucey style, whatever problems occurred with the car..he was able to sort out- as he did in the aforementioned case! I've always greatly respected his ability to deal with anything that life throws at him with such aplomb, I rather think it will be the same with this particular health challenge..

But, I had the thought that maybe a mobile phone that he could keep on him at all times- just really for emergency purposes- would be very helpful now? I would be very happy to chip in for something: knowing Brucey, he would prefer something simple that would last a long time anyway! So, it shouldn't cost too much..does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

If you're reading this Brucey, I wish you all the very best in your recovery- and look forward very much to seeing you on this wonderful forum again when you feel able :)
MrP

Post by MrP »

Brucey, I didn't realise you were local to me! Thanks for all the help on the forum, you are a star.
Hoping your recovery goes well, take care.
pq

Post by pq »

Hopefully Brucey gets to read this at some point. Just to wish you a speedy and complete recovery and to thank you for all the advice - always very useful. In fact just today I was out on a bike modified to your instructions.
One link to your website is enough. G
sun ra

Post by sun ra »

I must say I found it a real shock to find this thread and hear what bad luck you have had. Myself and the wife wish you well and hope you make a very speedy recovery Brucey. Our thoughts are with you.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've not been on the forum for about 3 weeks and only just found this.
What a shock. I can add my best wishes to all the others for Brucey's recovery.

Someone else who seems to have completely disappeared is Meic with his "still here" in Welsh.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Just heard about this. As with all his other cycling fans I wish Brucey a full recovery. He really is a legend and as others have said so generous with his fund of expertise and knowledge.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Not frequented this forum (more of a lurker anyway) for a while and was shocked to read of Brucey's illness.

Many best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Brucey's posts were always super educational and informational. I always enjoyed reading them. I saw that someone likened him to a British Sheldon Brown and I don't think that's off the mark.
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

I always found Brucey would chip in with a really helpful comment on anything I ever asked here (Not that I posted that much). Always enjoyed reading his informative posts. Hopefully see him back here soon!
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

I have only just learnt of this - godspeed on your recovery Brucey!
atlas_shrugged wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 10:13am For anyone wanting to create some digital content and wanting to know what format this is the digital photo frame:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Kenuo- ... f=pd_sbs_2

Videos: MPEG4, MKV, MOV, AVI
Music: MP3, AAC
Photos: JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)

The frame will autoplay from an SD card up to 32GB. You have to change settings to choose which format to autoplay i.e. photos/music/videos.

But please no BBC or iPlayer content (that is a condition of the frame owner i.e. me). From what I know Brucey is very interested in Tour de France, and the Grand Prix.
To acquire entertainment for him, following Brucey's best tradition (he even made his own freehub opener iirc...) perhaps we could start with a suitable tool - there are loads of cycling/TdF videos on the internet, and a small, free, fast video downloader that works on the vast majority is pyIDM/FireDM. The tool gives you a choice of different resolution/file size, by simply entering the URL of the relevant page. You can download it from https://www.videohelp.com/software/pyIDM
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

I don’t visit this site very often, usually like this time, when I want a bit of advice or help with a problem. Brucey usually comes up with the advice I need. Get well soon and hurry back. You are sorely missed.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Oh my this thread was a distressing find, I am actually fairly weepy as I type this.

GWS you are a legend sir.
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

Just checking: do we know if Brucey is still at Addenbrookes? Is it still good to send messages via the PALS online form?
DrMark

Post by DrMark »

Brucey is still in Addenbrookes - in the rehab ward. I'll see if he is able to get online.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do give him all our regards.

Get well soon Brucey.

Cheers James