Best wishes for Brucey

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cowsham

Re: Best wishes for Brucey

Post by Cowsham »

DrMark wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 9:42pm Brucey is still in Addenbrookes - in the rehab ward. I'll see if he is able to get online.
Any update on how he is doing?
I am here. Where are you?
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

DrMark wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 9:42pm Brucey is still in Addenbrookes - in the rehab ward.
Thanks - well wishes and a couple of photos sent.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

DrMark wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 9:42pm Brucey is still in Addenbrookes - in the rehab ward. I'll see if he is able to get online.

All the best for him.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Jamesh wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 8:39am Do give him all our regards.

Get well soon Brucey.

Cheers James
+1

We’re all rooting for you Brucey.

Thanks DrMark for the update.

Best wishes all,

Luke
fenmanctc

Post by fenmanctc »

Hope Brucey’s making progress. To highlight what a special engineer he is, I was browsing a Sheldon Brown article on Nexus/Alfine IG hubs, and lo and behold, there was an additional piece submitted by one Bruce Dance. His authority is clearly respected internationally.
I would add my concerns about him not having a mobile, which I came across when selling him a bike. FWIW I have a surplus Samsung Tocco Lite, which is a cracking little phone with a battery which lasts for ages. He would be welcome to it FOC, but I suspect his lack of phone is due to a dislike of them............! One of life’s individuals!

Cheers. fenmanctc
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This is the link to the article mentioned above –
https://sheldonbrown.com/indicator-measurement.html
This is probably not the only article Bruce has posted there?
If you have any information whilst reading Sheldons pages that is worth a mention you only have to contact them.
Even the lowly me has managed to Get something included there, and I can't even write :lol:

We are all missing you Brucey!
just not the same without you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

What progress is he making? He's clearly made of tough stuff but four days on the floor is a long time... :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that we need to wait for Brucey or a relative to post about how he is doing.

Folks should feel free to post their well wishes, but I don't think that we can expect anyone else to post information that includes details about his status or recovery progress.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

I agree with vorpal, we should not discuss Brucey’s condition as we know very little about it, it’s also very personal.
I think this is one time when we don’t discuss but use the forum to send him good wishes, that is more than enough.

All the best Brucey.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I asked the moderators to post as Vorpal has done above because I was concerned that - no matter how well intentioned and prompted by genuine concern for Brucey - posts asking how well he is doing or similar conflict with patient confidentiality.

Although the medical staff would never provide such information on a public internet forum, it's possible that one of us might find out information about his condition and post it on here thinking that they were doing a good thing in keeping everyone informed. That would be wrong.

Unless and until Brucey himself wishes to comment on his condition personally or via a family member/friend, we all need to think carefully about what we post, and consider how he might feel when he reads it. I am a fairly private person, and I would hate to have myself and my medical condition discussed in the third person on an internet forum. Brucey might not be like me, but neverthless to be on the safe side I suggest we all assume Brucey might be very sensitive at this time to how he is being discussed on a public forum.

The only information which I think would be appropriate to communicate about his status, is when his location changes, so that people don't send cards etc. to an old address.
Last edited by slowster on 28 Apr 2021, 11:43am, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus one for the reasoning expressed in the most recent post.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I rarely log into the forum but would like to visibly add my best wishes to Brucey.

There have been a few comments about his recovery and then hopeful return to this place. I’d be surprised if Brucey isn’t already well informed about his prospects and recovery routes so little said here about them should be concerning news to him. However, IIRC, the purpose of this thread is to wish Brucey well - to send him good wishes - so perhaps we should limit ourselves to or more towards that expression of care and encouragement.

Of course some members might have knowledge and/or experience of strokes and stroke recovery that they are happy to share. If that was the case then a separate thread, without reference to Brucey but rather for all our collective education, would surely be perfectly reasonable. Some members, understandably I think, are very aware of the consequences of strokes and, particularly if they live alone, concerned about triggers and outcomes. Again I would suggest that that is a subject for a separate thread.

Brucey is no doubt in good hands and our role, in so much as we have one, is surely to supply what limited and helpful support to him that we can.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Really sad to hear! Best wishes to you Brucey
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Just logged in to see how Brucey is doing but understand the logic re confidentiality etc. Very best wishes Brucey for your recovery and many thanks for all that you have contributed over the years to our understanding of these amazing little machines.
aflook

Post by aflook »

My very best wishes to Brucey. Your pearls of wisdom are treasures indeed and I hate to think of the potential damage to bicycles for want of your advice. I am desperately trying not to tinker too much!