Best wishes for Brucey

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vantage

Re: Best wishes for Brucey

Post by Vantage »

Other than letting him know we're all here for him, there isn't much we can do. I speak as a stroke survivor.
What he will need when he eventually gets home is a ton of support. People to make his food, help him to stroke recovery classes and generally popping in to see him and offering to help around the house etc.
I collapsed on my daughter just trying to make a cup of tea. It really is life changing.
When he gets back on the bike, he'll need people to accompany him. It takes ages to get balance back.
There's no time line for stroke recovery. It may be weeks or years.
I had mine 3 years ago and I still get very tired easily and can no longer look behind me while riding without getting dizzy and veering off course.
It's going to be damn hard on him. Especially mentally. He'll want to break down crying sometimes. Probably. I sure did.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Farrina

Post by Farrina »

531 Colin said
if anybody wants to buy the lad a laptop, tablet or whatever is easiest to use, I'm in. Living in Yorkshire, and never actually having met him, I'm struggling to find something useful to do.

Likewise I very much echo these sentiments. I’m out of the way up in the North West but certainly would be willing to contribute towards anything considered of benefit.

I just feel so helpless and think with Brucie having generously contributed so much over many years to this forum, in his hour of need, its time for me to give something back.

Happy to be guided by those nearer (both emotionally and physically) to Brucie - in this regard I think Slowster’s comments are very perceptive and thoughtful.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Keeping fingers crossed for Brucey's recovery. Whenever an interesting question came along my first thoughts were usually 'What will Brucey make of this'. I'll contribute if any financial support is useful.

Cheers,
Robin
(in Bristol)
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

I've never had the fortune to meet Brucey but he's always amazed me with his depth of knowledge.
I wish you well for a speedy recovery Brucey, I sincerely hope you're up and about as soon as possible.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vantage wrote:Other than letting him know we're all here for him, there isn't much we can do. I speak as a stroke survivor.
What he will need when he eventually gets home is a ton of support. People to make his food, help him to stroke recovery classes and generally popping in to see him and offering to help around the house etc.
I collapsed on my daughter just trying to make a cup of tea. It really is life changing.
When he gets back on the bike, he'll need people to accompany him. It takes ages to get balance back.
I had mine 3 years ago and I still get very tired easily and can no longer look behind me while riding without getting dizzy and veering off course.
It's going to be damn hard on him. Especially mentally. He'll want to break down crying sometimes. Probably. I sure did.

Some very sobering thoughts there Vantage.
Best wishes to you.
Orbit531C

Post by Orbit531C »

I've just been on the Addenbrookes website to check the address to send Brucey a card, as I've always enjoyed and appreciated reading his contributions on this forum, and was very saddened by this terrible stroke, & then I saw this, which would be a great way for forum members to send Brucey some well wishes, pictures and encouragement:

"Letters from loved ones
We know it is very difficult not being able to see loved ones and how important it is to stay in touch. Our ‘Letters from Loved Ones’ service helps families and friends share messages and photographs with patients in our hospitals. To help you communicate with your loved ones, you can send a message and some photos by filling in our Letters from loved ones form. We will make sure these are printed and delivered to the patient".

The challenge is a name and a date of birth (are required fields); how can friends from the forum send him get well wishes?

https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/contact-us/let-u ... ones-form/
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Vantage wrote:It really is life changing.

Thanks, Bill, for this dose of realism. For those close to me, the route after a serious stroke was similarly arduous. The cycling can easily be very low on the list of problems that one needs to deal with. Best wishes for your own continuation of recovery. Tricycle can be a solution when keeping balance becomes too much of an effort to be worth it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Orbit531C wrote:The challenge is a name and a date of birth (are required fields); how can friends from the forum send him get well wishes?

That’s a good link thank you.
There are enough clues in this thread to quickly find his surname. As for DoB make one up I would think it will still find him. You can find two cycling records he holds and guess how old he was when he took them. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mervyn Irvine

Post by Mervyn Irvine »

I’m Bruce’s uncle and have joined the website to see your very kind and thoughtful comments, which are very touching.
I’m sure he won’t mind me telling you, Bruce DANCE was born on the 18/4/1964.
Thanks again to everyone.
Mervyn.
Orbit531C

Post by Orbit531C »

Thank you very much Mervyn, that's wonderful of you to have shared this information; I am sending him a message now.
And a big welcome to the forum!
I just looked up Brucey on the Cambridge University Cycling Club website following the hint from Paulatic and am so impressed that Brucey still holds the club record for 4-UP mens 100km team time trial and the 10 and 30 mile mens' tandem record!
Thighs of brass indeed!

Get well soon Brucey!!
Last edited by Orbit531C on 27 Mar 2021, 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Mervyn Irvine wrote:I’m Bruce’s uncle and have joined the website to see your very kind and thoughtful comments, which are very touching.
Mervyn.

Fantastic to hear from a family member, thank you Mervyn for taking the time to do this.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

One other method of contacting Addenbrookes hospital is to use PALs (Patient Advice and Liaison)

Email pals@addenbrookes.nhs.uk

Phone: 01223 216756

https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/contact-us/let-u ... n-service/
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

ElCani wrote:
Mervyn Irvine wrote:I’m Bruce’s uncle and have joined the website to see your very kind and thoughtful comments, which are very touching.
Mervyn.

Fantastic to hear from a family member, thank you Mervyn for taking the time to do this.

+1. Message sent to Brucey
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Brucey helped me a couple of times with some very esoteric issues. I offered a few words of thanks, but that seems like such infintesimal recompense for someone's time and effort (and knowledge!) in replying.

Those that help out are clearly driven by intrinsic altruism.

And that's Brucey, right there.

Best wishes for many happy miles in the future, mate.
bongo

Post by bongo »

What terrible news but some very hopeful updates. I'm a newbie here but have noticed the encyclopedic knowledge so generously shared by Brucey. My very best wishes and positive vibes for a rapid recovery.
bongo