Spa Tourer kickstand

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jb

Re: Spa Tourer kickstand

Post by jb »

The point is that the frame isn't designed to take the highly concentrated loads that a kick stand imposes on a very small area of frame, Old Raleigh bikes with gas pipe tubing were a different kettle of fish. Some form of prop that supports the bike from high up round the saddle area is the kindest thing and puts no extra strain on tubes designed to take stress length ways not sideways.

The other better alternative to a side stand is a center stand that sends the forces straight up the seat tube but they are heavier and less stable and still rely on clamping to the chain stays.
Cheers
J Bro
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

markjohnobrien wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 3:40pm Clicked the link and it’s a totally different concept to the traditional kick stand- looks interesting, but I still wouldn’t risk it my bikes as I don’t like scratched or damaged paintwork or tubing.
Hi the U part that fits under the frame is well padded and is not capable of damaging the paintwork, unless you yourself modify it in some way. I read a number of reviews of the option before buying and read of no one being critical of it as a result of damage. Some people didn’t like it as much as the traditional kick stand option, but only as a personal preference. The reviews I read all said it worked well.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thanks.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.