Spa Tourer kickstand

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bullseye

Spa Tourer kickstand

Post by Bullseye »

I've recently bought a 2nd hand 8 speed spa tourer and there doesn't appear to be room to fit a kickstand behind the bottom bracket. My question to anyone that has this bike is a chain stay stand viable for this bike? And what is the best stand to fit on this bike? Thanks in advance for any advice.
colin54

Re: Spa Tourer kickstand

Post by colin54 »

Quite a long and informative thread here about kickstands..
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120018
Nu-Fogey
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

colin54 wrote:Quite a long and informative thread here about kickstands..
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120018

Thank you Colin for your help!
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Hebie has an adapter for the bottom bracket area, that works OK https://www.hebie.de/en/parking/stand-accessories/attachmspare-parts/stand-plate/
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Spa bike designer here.
The chainstay tubing is 0.9mm wall thickness.
.. By all means, fit handlebar streamers and beads on the spokes, but if you fit a stupid pointless irritating stand you WILL damage the frame.[/rant]
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

531colin wrote:Spa bike designer here.
The chainstay tubing is 0.9mm wall thickness.
.. By all means, fit handlebar streamers and beads on the spokes, but if you fit a stupid pointless irritating stand you WILL damage the frame.[/rant]

While I agree that stands are best-avoided if possible, sometimes they are invaluable. Towing a trailer with a toddler means frequent unplanned stops to deal with whatever crisis the child has manufactured, and this makes having a stand extremely convenient. I fitted a Hebie Fox to my Reynolds 853* Genesis Day One and I don't think it's done any damage. Would you be against that type, Colin?

https://www.hebie.de/en/parking/rear-stands/fox/672v/

*Chainstays and seatstays might not be 853.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

If the stays are 853, they are butted tubes which are either 0.6 or 0.5mm in the thin - walled centre section.
How do you feel about mounting a stand to that?
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Not great... but the stand mounts to the ends near the rear dropouts rather than the centre section, and I think the stays aren't 853. But I appreciate it's a risk.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

When my kids were small (and you didn't have any money) I made a kiddiecrank device from a BB shell out of a lugless frame and a crashbar bracket from a sixties Triumph Bonneville. I fitted it to my parents' beautiful old lugless Harry Rensch USWB tandem. I hated that I dented the beautiful curved rear seat tube, but I loved that it got me and my kids out cycling. Neither of them took up cycling as a hobby, but both of them still talk about our times out on the tandem.
So was it worth damaging the bike? Absolutely. My dad was never precious about it....it was a tool for the job of getting out. When my kids outgrew it, I gave it to somebody who had young kids....last I heard he had passed it on to somebody else.
So, as I see it, its a judgement call. If you want to fit a stand to a lightweight bike, you have to accept its your risk, and you can take a risk if the joy of getting your kids out is greater than the heartache of potentially damaging your lightweight frame.

However, the general rule is; if the frame manufacturer has welded a stand bracket onto your frame, then he thinks its OK to fit a stand.
No bracket? No stand. End of.

If I get on here saying its OK to fit A, B or C type stand under X,Y or Z circumstances, then some gorilla who thinks he is working on a crane ( :wink: sorry Col.) will fit a stand using a 12" straining bar, fill up 4 panniers, park his bike in a force 10 gale and then expect Spa to warranty it.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Brilliant, practical, and honest advice from 531 Colin (and I have read the previous longer thread about the de-merits of kickstands).

My Raleigh Randonneurs don’t have a bracket and I wouldn’t dream of fitting a kickstand.

However, my Raleigh Travelogue with Reynolds 708 tubing does have a manufacturer bracket fitted but I still wouldn’t risk it as it’s thin tubing and rare and no longer made.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Would an axle mounted kickstand not be a better option??

https://m.bikester.co.uk/bicycle-equipm ... /8620.html

Cheers James
531colin

Post by 531colin »

In the days of screw-on blocks, it was fairly common for rear dropouts to crack and fail.
This happened when the axle cracked and the wheel was held in by the Q/r skewer (Campag. were known for this....but that may be because you bought Campag. if you were going to do big mileages). That Hebie stand (see their website....there's crowds of them!) looks like the bracket is made of pressed sheet steel, so hopefully the stand will fail before the frame...
But see my earlier answer.....do you really, really need a stand? Do you need one enough to risk your frame?
Somewhere in the archives of this site there are some enterprising folk who made themselves "props" which fit to (say) the saddle and act like a "leg" to support the bike.....but there are always trees, or fences, or hedges, or street furniture to lean your bike against.
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

Thank you all for the input on this thread, if the frame designer says don't put a kickstand on the bike then I'll follow the advice.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

If someone tells me that I should not use a kickstand, I go back in history to check whether I ever followed any advice of that person and to potentially revise the action. In any case, in any bike I seriously begin to use I have a braze-on done for a bombproof kickstand mounting. It is not my invention, but of a local builder. The essence is in a tube through which the kickstand bolt goes, that eliminates the possibility of deforming the mounting plate and the stays.

gom

Post by gom »

There is this http://www.click-stand.com/, which may have been ref’d above.
I’ve not used myself, but seen used by others on cycle-camping trips. Looks very neat.