What Levers for Tektro Oryx Cantilever

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
9494arnold

What Levers for Tektro Oryx Cantilever

Post by 9494arnold »

Looking at Tektro Oryx Cantilever Brakes, anyone know if you can use an old school drop bar brake lever or would you need a more modern lever with some return spring action in them?
pwa

Re: What Levers for Tektro Oryx Cantilever

Post by pwa »

I use these with all my canti brakes. They have a return spring. SJS used to put them on bikes with cantis. Mine have lasted a decade or more. Hoods can be replaced when they eventually wear down. I know they say designed for calliper brake, but they are an old design and do work with cantis.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-lever ... ke-levers/
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I would have thought unsprung lever would be fine - after all, the actual lever pivot should not be stiff.
Mechanical advantage and all that should be fine. In pre aero cable routing days, I found CLB/Campag levers had a better mechanical advantage than Weinmann due to the lever pivot location, thus the brake levers always felt a tad slacker than they might have been, but the brakes worked noticably better.
The worst case would be to try it and see how it (didn't) work (so don't fit the bar tape until you have tried it).
The levers pwa links to would be a good alternative (I use similar for my cantilevers).
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Any levers except V-brake levers. You can always use the "stronger" spring hole in the boss if you want more return action.

Set the straddle as low as possible with these brakes, as they are low-profile cantilevers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

9494arnold wrote:Looking at Tektro Oryx Cantilever Brakes, anyone know if you can use an old school drop bar brake lever or would you need a more modern lever with some return spring action in them?

if you aren't using integrated brake/gear levers, why not have full-size Vee brakes and matching drop bar brake levers? (eg Tektro)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Those drop bar V brake levers are a bit icky, though.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I use Tektro R200 with my Avid Shorty cantis. They have a similar shape and feel to Campag levers, which is why I chose them, and they work very well. They also have a spring return.

I think any other conventional pull drop bar lever would also work well, though I understand the newer Shimano stuff (NSSLR?) may have less MA so won't work quite so well.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rogerzilla wrote:Those drop bar V brake levers are a bit icky, though.

Do you mean you don't like the look of them?
I find them really comfortable to use.
There is also the Dia Compe ones, with the slightly-odd short bit of Vee brake pipe (at almost twice the price.)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I'll admit I haven't used the Tektro ones but I did have a pair of Dia-Compe 287V levers. A truly awful hack of a normal lever. They looked bad and didn't work well. The cable routing added friction.