Have you ever been defeated by a tyre?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Re: Have you ever been defeated by a tyre?

Post by alexnharvey »

fastpedaller wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:It is relatively common for there to be slight differences between the official ETRTO size (622-23, etc) and the other marked (marketing?) size, 700x25c and so on. Certainly Vittoria hypers had the same, the large ones are marked 622-40 and 700x38c.

I'd expect 700x25c and 622-25 to be on the same tyre though

OK. I am trying to tell you that despite your expectation it is quite common to find that they differ. No doubt some of the more knowledgeable posters will have explained exactly why this is, I recall it is something to do with the nominal width (ISO/ETRTO) differing from the actual width the manufacturer has measured and marked the tyre as being.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's a an article on Sheldon Brown about dishonesty in tyre sizing, but it's not about the big ERTRO number

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#dishonest
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If I have trouble with putting a tyre back on i pass it over to my partner. She's not as strong as me but still manages to get stubborn n tyres on. It's probably better technique. You have the knack or you don't.

My issue is that I usually have good quality, highly puncture resistant tyres on so I rarely get punctures. I went a few years without needing to take my tyres off. In fact once my tyres wore out having never punctured! So with this apparent superpower of rarely getting punctures it means I don't get to practise tyre changes enough to get a good technique going. In fact I change tyres more to cope with different surfaces or activities rather than punctures.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

As a kid I was advised (by me old Grandad) to use kitchen cutlery to take off and put on tyres. Usually the flat end of a knife/fork handle.

I continue to do this 50 years later and although I've probably nipped a couple of tubes I don't really see a problem with using any implement which facilitates the operation. Obviously take a bit of care! I don't think I have ever removed a tyre without using some kind of prying device, and I always carry tyre levers - metal ones nowadays as the tyre/rim interface is definitely getting tighter.

Maybe I am a bit of a thug. However, if I am having problems fixing punctures (with reasonably strong hands, relevant knowledge and quite a bit of experience) then it won't be any easier for my kids. Thus I advise them similarly to carefully use a suitable tool to assist when removing or replacing tyres - shared knowledge - or the blind leading the blind!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Some tyre and rim combo’s are worse than others. I’ve collected lots of gadgets and gizmos to help with tough combo’s, over the years. My absolute nemesis was Continental GP5000 TL tubeless ready tyres, on pretty much every rim I tried. However, I bought one of these.

And used my full body weight to roll the beads over the rims, rather than just hands, and they do go over, but really not easily. I also warm the tyres up by hanging them on a warm radiator for a few minutes before starting, which helps.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

simonineaston wrote:The Schwalbe Marathon / 16" wheel combo is generally regarded as a bit of a challenge - so much so that there are videos on the subject, however don't be too hopeful - the person in the vid. just makes it look easy without offering a secret ingredient!

Brompton rims changed about 10 years ago....the "new" rim (10 years ago) had a sort-of ridge running between the spoke holes.....that rim wasn't too bad for tyre fitting....but the rim it replaced was a swine, fitting a Marathon plus was a 2 man job.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

alexnharvey wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:It is relatively common for there to be slight differences between the official ETRTO size (622-23, etc) and the other marked (marketing?) size, 700x25c and so on. Certainly Vittoria hypers had the same, the large ones are marked 622-40 and 700x38c.

I'd expect 700x25c and 622-25 to be on the same tyre though

OK. I am trying to tell you that despite your expectation it is quite common to find that they differ. No doubt some of the more knowledgeable posters will have explained exactly why this is, I recall it is something to do with the nominal width (ISO/ETRTO) differing from the actual width the manufacturer has measured and marked the tyre as being.

Fair doo's, and a bit surprising. As they say 'every day's a school day' I've not seen the 'issue' on others, but then I'd probably not examine them closely unless I had a problem.
drossall

Post by drossall »

In case of difficulty, I remove the tube (to prevent it from getting pinched), and fit and remove the tyre a few times with any strong lever that comes to hand. Usually helps.
Tuvelo

Post by Tuvelo »

I have looked back through this and other threads, and can't see a post that will answer a specific question on this topic - apologies if I have missed it, so any links gratefully accepted.
Yesterday I was out with a couple of friends and one was complaining (like many people!) that it was torture getting her tyres on and off because (like many) tubeless ready rims and tyres...
This is understandably limiting her enjoyment of riding, as she doesn't feel independent.
She's tried/trying various tyre mounting aids/jacks/toys,we're working on technique (including many of the excxellent suggestions in this thread), so that isn't my question.
Any suggestions of which tyres might be a better fit (sorry) for her?
She's tried tubeless, didn't like it, she want's to remain tubed.
DT Swiss E1800 650 wheels, 20mm nominal internal, currently suffering with Shwalbe Pro One microskin tyres
She's not racing nor loaded touring, prefers 28mm tyres
Any advice on tyre choice gratefully accepted!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tuvelo wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:16am Yesterday I was out with a couple of friends and one was complaining (like many people!) that it was torture getting her tyres on and off because (like many) tubeless ready rims and tyres...
Could it be the tubeless ready rims causing her difficulties?
Rip out that tape and put in a traditional rim tape might make all the difference.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Tuvelo wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:16am I have looked back through this and other threads, and can't see a post that will answer a specific question on this topic - apologies if I have missed it, so any links gratefully accepted.
Yesterday I was out with a couple of friends and one was complaining (like many people!) that it was torture getting her tyres on and off because (like many) tubeless ready rims and tyres...
This is understandably limiting her enjoyment of riding, as she doesn't feel independent.
She's tried/trying various tyre mounting aids/jacks/toys,we're working on technique (including many of the excxellent suggestions in this thread), so that isn't my question.
Any suggestions of which tyres might be a better fit (sorry) for her?
She's tried tubeless, didn't like it, she want's to remain tubed.
DT Swiss E1800 650 wheels, 20mm nominal internal, currently suffering with Shwalbe Pro One microskin tyres
I run 28mm tubed GP5000s tyres (and previously 25mm GP4000s) on DT Swiss RR411 Tubeless rims and fit and remove them without levers.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Anyone tried tubeless?

Do you have to use tubeless tyres?

My wiggle tyres go on with a loud pop at about 100psi and take a good push to get then off the rim if you want to move them?

Also getting then off to repair a puncture would be a mighty pain so how effective is the sealant?

I rarely get pu***tyres so don't think it would be too often....

Cheers James
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve tubeless on one bike it has been a learning curve.
In order
Didn’t realise tubeless ready bikes don’t have sealant in them.
After putting sealant in I was putting too much air in initially to allow proper sealing.
Got fed up and put tubes in
Last autumn I thought I’d try again.
First ride I picked up a massive thorn complete with the rest of it's branch. Pulled it out and spun the wheel. Sorted :D
Never had a problem removal or fitting and I’ve only got a normal Joe Blow to get those vital early thrusts of air in for a seal.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tuvelo

Post by Tuvelo »

[/quote]
Could it be the tubeless ready rims causing her difficulties?
Rip out that tape and put in a traditional rim tape might make all the difference.
[/quote]

Unquestionably the tubeless ready rims are a major part of the problem, but she'd rather not replace her wheels if there are more cost effective options to be explored first.
Rim tape has been changed already, we're trying to get opinions on tyres that might be more thumb friendly (the 'un-Marathon' if you will), which hopefully in conjunction with improved technique, a reliable mounting tool, thinner rim tape and a tail wind will help her to feel more secure about heading out alone.
Tuvelo

Post by Tuvelo »

iandusud wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 2:44pm
Tuvelo wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 11:16am ... torture getting her tyres on and off because (like many) tubeless ready rims and tyres...
She's tried/trying various tyre mounting aids/jacks/toys,we're working on technique (including many of the excellent suggestions in this thread), so that isn't my question.
She's tried tubeless, didn't like it, she wants to remain tubed.
I run 28mm tubed GP5000s tyres (and previously 25mm GP4000s) on DT Swiss RR411 Tubeless rims and fit and remove them without levers.
Thanks for that, interesting, and it makes sense - even though I've only used them on non-tubeless rims I've always found them very easy-ons so probably an option worth trying