Punctures. How to mark the hole?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vorpal

Re: Punctures. How to mark the hole?

Post by Vorpal »

I have to admit that I've never thought to mark the hole, except on the inner tubes that I hang up in the workshop, and patch all in one go.

If I am patching a recently or partially removed inner tube, I usually just hold it where the hole is until I get the patch kit out. It's maybe not entirely convenient, but it is manageable.

As for ball point pens... I used to carry one, but every time I needed it, it no longer worked, so I keep a mechanical pencil in my tool kit.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ive been using self adhesive patches for a while, using the inner tube in the tyre to apply pressure and keep them in place whilst the adhesive sticks...

Don't have to do it very often, but I don't like the waste of whole tubes...
It's also a lot more frugal to repair tubes.

I'm slightly surprised no-one has said anything about tubeless tyres...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
chrisjordan

Post by chrisjordan »

It's not a big deal. Since you can see or hear the void while cleaning/abrading, you know where it is. The patch is adhered to a wider region than the adhesive. If you can't see the hole any longer, a small amount of air in the tube will cause the glue covering to burst or bubble at that precise location, allowing you to see where to centre your patch.
CJ

Post by CJ »

mikeymo wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 6:47pm
CJ wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 4:48pm I've been away from this thread for a while and am apalled by some of the more recent suggestions
Thanks Chris. I thought some of the advice seemed a bit unwise, but being a mere tyro, didn't want to speak up.

I did everything pretty much as per the video I linked to.

I used a clamp...

https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-quick ... gLwjvD_BwE

to squeeze it all together. Do you think that was wise or not? I wondered if it might produce pinch flat type damage to the tube. But the tube seems OK. I left it overnight to dry, then inflated it a little. I've not put it on a bike yet.
Clamping simply isn't necessary. Pressing firmly with fingers, working outwards from the middle to the edges, is all that's needed to make a properly prepared patch stick firmly and permanently. Whether it helps in 'papering over the cracks' of a badly prepared mend: I cannot comment upon, having never done it.

For sure I've had patches fail still to stick at first attempt. But what I do then is reapply solution to both tube and patch and wait longer before pressing it back on, and that has always worked for me!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 10:39pm I'm slightly surprised no-one has said anything about tubeless tyres...
Problem is with tubeless you don’t know when you’ve had a puncture and if you are aware the hole is ready marked with tippex like fluid.
I’m more than slightly surprised in 60 years of mending punctures in tubes I’ve never marked where it was. It’s always been between my thumbs until the point I lay it flat on top of a closed vice or flat surface and then it’s in the centre. :D
I finish off with a patch roller https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/automotive/ ... ZT1231930P?. Probably not essential for bikes but I have it in my tool kit from fixing tractor tyres and patches the size of saucers.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info