Punctures. How to mark the hole?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Syd

Re: Punctures. How to mark the hole?

Post by Syd »

Pebble wrote:Whatever way you try and argue it, repairing a tube for a small puncture and reusing is always environmentally more friendly than to replace with a new one. If there is some second life for the tube after its main function, then it will still get there eventually.

We really need to stop being so wasteful with the planets resources.

Would be an interesting analysis as to the impact of manufacturing a new inner tube as opposed to a puncture repair kit.

One being butyl rubber, a piece of metal and a plastic cap packed into cardboard. The other being rubber patches, usually with a plastic backing, something abrasive, a crayon or similar and adhesive all packed in a plastic box.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A fairer comparison might be between manufacturing six tubes and one kit. Many here mention repairing in batches and at least six holes can repaired from one kit.
Buying patches in bulk will further widen the gap.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Syd

Punctures. How to mark the hole?

Post by Syd »

Fair point which I didn’t make in my post.

Though it does complicate the calculation a little bit as there will be up to six unnecessary inner tubes; assuming 6 waiting repair whilst the bike is still able to be used with another, not leaky, tube.

If used individually how many repairs are possible before the adhesive becomes unusable?
Last edited by Syd on 3 Apr 2021, 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Some stack them up to repair, many don't.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Syd wrote:Would be an interesting analysis as to the impact of manufacturing a new inner tube as opposed to a puncture repair kit.

I'd expect both to contain equally harmful ingredients, then on top of that and the manufacturing, you also have the distribution and storage, plus the disposal cost. The economic difference will probably reflect the environmental one, compare the price of a repair kit with the price of the number of tubes it'll repair and doubt it'll be far off.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Syd wrote:If used individually how many repairs are possible before the adhesive becomes unusable?

I'm not 100% certain on the following but it is what I'm finding -
Many providing you squeeze all the air out of the sealant-tube before putting the cap back on, but leave some air in the sealant-tube and all the glue can sort of mysteriously vanish.

I have repaired a couple of punctures this winter and used a tube that was first opened the previous winter, I made sure to expel any air before putting the top back on.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Syd wrote:Fair point which I didn’t make in my post.

Though it does complicate the calculation a little bit as there will be up to six unnecessary inner tubes; assuming 6 waiting repair whilst the bike is still able to be used with another, not leaky, tube.

If used individually how many repairs are possible before the adhesive becomes unusable?

The frugal and green will, by doing repairs in batches, make sure that the glue is used up before congealing.
A competently patched tube will not be leaky, I have had tubes with patches well into double figures.
In this way the reserve tubes may be reused several times.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Lots of ideas, thanks.

As this seems to be a popular subject, a supplementary question:

What is the opinion about establishing whether a repair has been successful or not? For years I've done most of my own plumbing, and the received wisdom about soldered copper joints is that if the joint is going to fail it will fail immediately, or never. Does the same apply to patched inner tubes?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo wrote:What is the opinion about establishing whether a repair has been successful or not? For years I've done most of my own plumbing, and the received wisdom about soldered copper joints is that if the joint is going to fail it will fail immediately, or never. Does the same apply to patched inner tubes?

I can't remember an initially successful patch failing.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:
mikeymo wrote:What is the opinion about establishing whether a repair has been successful or not? For years I've done most of my own plumbing, and the received wisdom about soldered copper joints is that if the joint is going to fail it will fail immediately, or never. Does the same apply to patched inner tubes?

I can't remember an initially successful patch failing.

Jonathan

Thanks. Time to do some testing with this newly-arrived baby then:
IMG_3187.JPG
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote:Yellow wax crayon in the kit. Four marks forming the corners of a square which has the hole at the centre (or any other pattern that you prefer) far enough apart to not be removed by the sanding and glue.

(In practice I often do it by eye and memory using tube position and markings, but if you want to label this method works fine.)

Jonathan

I use a cheap pound land Tippex pen, I don't even bother cleaning off after as it will come off with water, the mark is still be seen later when I remove the tube. As said Mark four corners around the hole then you always know where the hole is.
The Tippex pen has many uses, I also Mark cables where they enter the clamp, then when you undo the clamp you don't lose the position of the cable if you need to tighten or loosen the cable when adjusting brakes et cetera.
I don't normally carry a Tippex pen with me when I'm mobile, but when I repair tubes in the field I overinflate the tube very slightly, It's normally done by easy to see and feel where the hole is,Apply glue and where the air is coming out the whole small bubble will form which will leave a small scar.
I'm not the only one who uses my tongue then! Ha ha.
At home mark around the hole in the tire.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Does anyone else use talcum powder instead of scraping the chalk stick in the kit? Smells nicer!
I had difficulty in finding talcum powder in the chemists. Has it been supplanted by deodorant?
I use it in fitting latex gloves for resin work.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's part of my kit for touring and walking... but I've never shared it with a tube.

Haven't had a problem finding it, but if there is one I wonder if it's related to the asbestos cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc#Association_with_asbestos

Edited: Yes, withdrawal of baby powder by J & J in USA and Canada...

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:Fair point which I didn’t make in my post.

The frugal and green will, by doing repairs in batches, make sure that the glue is used up before congealing.
A competently patched tube will not be leaky, I have had tubes with patches well into double figures.
In this way the reserve tubes may be reused several times.

My bold.

I can’t recall the last time I had a puncture, never mind 6. Mrs Syd has had two in the past decade, both recently and very close together. After the second both tubes and tyres went off to a local craft group. So not exactly being less green.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Mike Sales wrote:Does anyone else use talcum powder instead of scraping the chalk stick in the kit? Smells nicer!
I had difficulty in finding talcum powder in the chemists. Has it been supplanted by deodorant?
I use it in fitting latex gloves for resin work.

You can get Rema TipTop talc

https://jarukindustries.co.uk/products/rema-tip-top-talcum-powder